New Prof Argüelles Youtube Series

General discussion about learning languages
luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Re: New Prof Argüelles Youtube Series

Postby luke » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:21 pm

The speed bag, heavy bag and jump rope are three different tools for the boxer.

He explicitly said it wasn't his only or even main technique.

It's helpful for pronunciation when a good model is available.
3 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:35 pm

I shadow audiobooks sometimes to make sure I'm actually paying attention. :roll:
Of course if you shadow enough, you can find yourself shadowing without paying attention. :lol:
It is certainly useful for beginning language learners. It is great for memorizing Shekhtman islands :D
5 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:25 pm

For me it's about internalizing the sounds & lilt of the language. Plus doing it the "original" way with Assimil dialogues with a lot of repetition, you slowly peel away at understanding the dialogues more and more. One of the end goals was to be able to listen to the Assimil course without the textbook and have near complete understanding of what you're hearing. This as a first stage of learning a language.

I don't listen to/enjoy audiobooks that much so the idea of shadowing an audiobook of a language I know really well does not sound like a good use of my time. But at the beginning stage it's my favorite method to experience a lot of varied language and slowly get a handle on it before sitting down to a grammar book.
3 x

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:46 pm

In this video Prof A shadows Latin, Arabic, Koine Greek, Persian, Hebrew, & Amharic.
Last edited by David1917 on Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

thevagrant88
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1) Japanese (FU)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =14564#top

Postby thevagrant88 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:02 pm

The Prof. is uploading material again? Oh, be still my beating heart <3
2 x

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:45 pm

I keep falling behind on these. Responses to some more questions on Shadowing. He's also pretty active in the comments section, thanking everyone who posts something and responding to the more substantive questions where possible.

Now the topic has changed to Scriptorium:

He only originally had the one video with no explanation, and various discussions of it on HTLAL but here is a longer exposition of what to do & why, and variations on it.

The rough plan going forward is to have a video on Tuesdays and a follow-up video responding to the questions in the comment section on Saturdays.
4 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:22 pm

David1917 wrote:Now the topic has changed to Scriptorium:

He also mentioned this video on Scriptorium and she does a good job of summarizing her approach, which seems very close to the Professor's:

3 x

RyanSmallwood
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: English

Postby RyanSmallwood » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:13 am

His most recent video is up, and I think his new series is taking and interesting turn, as he’s departing more from strict language learning methodology and going more into his specific uses of languages. Here he shares some of the illustrations and formats he’s created with his scriptorium method mainly, but also mentions a new polyliteracy series he’ll continue with. Seems like he’ll be discussing some books that I guess influenced his overall approach to studying multiple languages as well as specific books in his collection and possibly some community discussion.

Personally I’m already moving along with my own approaches and interests, but I’m very curious what he’ll share in this new series and maybe there will be some new things I can take away from it. In general I kind of wish more experienced language learners shared more about what they do with languages, since it seems like a lot of the main methodologies have been hashed out.
7 x

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:38 pm

RyanSmallwood wrote:In general I kind of wish more experienced language learners shared more about what they do with languages, since it seems like a lot of the main methodologies have been hashed out.

Agreed, that's my favorite thing to watch. Moses McCormick's was always "go the mall and find people to talk to." Prof A's is "grab a pen and write 1,001 Arabian Nights & then an Old Norse saga in runes." The way he's building this into a technique video is great, too.
1 x

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:29 am

First video in a series reviewing & commenting on Robert A Hall Jr's book from the 1960s on learning foreign languages. This was borne from a nostalgia for giving university lectures - since it has been 3+ years since he has been able to do so. Those who enjoy the lecture and have substantive questions can sign up to join a Zoom call with him this coming Friday, Nov 5. The schedule going forward is ideally lecture Tuesday, Zoom Friday.

I found this talk interesting and Prof A's final conclusion that "there is nothing new under the sun" in that while some tech has changed, the language teaching methods and their discontents have not evolved all that much. I'll probably have to listen to this one again as there was a lot of information & commentary.
6 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”