ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: New Prof Argüelles Youtube Series

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:01 pm

Taken out of context, this Adler quote is somewhat funny:
"This means that the third reading must always follow the other two in time."

(Chapter 12:3, The Etiquette of Talking Back)
6 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:46 pm

Thoughts on Adding a Spiritual Component to Language Studies:

Duration: 29:10

(I'm watching it at the moment.)
4 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:30 pm

Herodotean wrote:From the description:
In this video, I suggest four stages for doing this: 1) penciling in the margins, 2) lecturing to the wall and then writing down a synopsis of that, 3) preparing ever-expanding lists of key terms, people, ideas, etc., and 4) beginning to make comparative and contrasting columns for multiple works.

I really need to do 2 and 3. I already do 1. I might have to try 4, but I already have my own notetaking system that works in a similar way.
Which is, pray tell? Can you give us a description, or maybe a photo would be better?
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:46 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Thoughts on Adding a Spiritual Component to Language Studies

Thanks, that was timely! I definitely need to add it since the last book I read in French was de Sade, and the last in German was a Krimi, haha.
2 x

Herodotean
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby Herodotean » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:51 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
Herodotean wrote:From the description:
In this video, I suggest four stages for doing this: 1) penciling in the margins, 2) lecturing to the wall and then writing down a synopsis of that, 3) preparing ever-expanding lists of key terms, people, ideas, etc., and 4) beginning to make comparative and contrasting columns for multiple works.

I really need to do 2 and 3. I already do 1. I might have to try 4, but I already have my own notetaking system that works in a similar way.
Which is, pray tell? Can you give us a description, or maybe a photo would be better?

Here's a sample (on Dio Chrysostom's First Kingship). It was meant for my own eyes only, so I can't guarantee intelligibility!

I suppose what I do is an expanded and electronic version of pencilling in the margins (Arguelles' #1), with some admixture of his #3 and #4. I do this for all sources I read seriously. My notes include anything I find interesting or relevant, which often includes comparison and contrast with other works, though not in the column form Arguelles recommends. From the sample above, you can see that I note a wide variety of features: verbal echoes of other works, major themes, the views of modern scholars, etc. Each work gets its own Word document, which I can then easily search and reference when writing. Any significant connection with another work is recorded in the Word documents for both works. Similarly, connected passages within the same work are cross-referenced under both places. This system evolved from my former practice of reading Greek and Latin with the text in a Word document, so I could copy vocabulary easily for electronic lookup and then record the definitions in the same Word document for later review. Back then (8-10 years ago), it was so challenging just to get through most texts that I didn't have mental space left for taking notes on anything other than vocabulary and grammar. It was a graduate course on Greek tragedy that forced me to start taking notes as I currently do; the expectations for discussion were high enough that I had to come prepared with excellent notes, not just a text with underlining here and there. Now I normally don't bother with a Word document containing the text of what I'm reading, since I prefer physical books anyway.

EDIT: I neglected to address the question of what language I use for note-taking; this is a language-learning forum, after all. If I expect to write in English about (or teach) a work in any language, I take notes in English for efficiency's sake. Ideally, I'd take notes on the work in its own language. I find it extraordinarily helpful for language learning -- and tiring -- to take notes on "great books" in their original languages. In practice, for me that's restricted to Latin and Greek; my active skills in other languages aren't developed enough to take decent notes in them.
4 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:39 pm

In effect, you create your own commentary. This is engaging with the text on a high level and would seem to have high value. I don't regularly follow Arguelles' videos, but I did read Adler years ago, and what you do certainly seems in the spirit of what Adler recommended.
I keep notes almost always in English, though when I visited Spain I kept a travel diary in Spanish. But writing needs to be on a daily basis of some length to be useful IMHO.
Thanks for taking the time to copy and share what you have done. Would be good for any language.
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:45 pm

Great Books of the West: Herodotus - Inspectional Overview/Review of The Histories/Investigations:

Duration: 1:21:38 (!)
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:13 pm

Overcoming the Greatest Obstacle in Teaching Yourself a Foreign Language:

Duration: 9:14
4 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:39 pm

How to Learn a Language Fast:

Favourite quote (after 50 seconds):
(...)people want to get the results without doing the work.

(Funnily enough, my Youtube feed suggests that I watch a video called How to Learn a Language From Scratch as Fast as Possible.)
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:11 pm

The Nature Method for Learning Foreign Languages - What is it & Why isn't it Better Known?:

Duration: 19:02
4 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”