New Prof Argüelles Youtube Series

General discussion about learning languages
David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

New Prof Argüelles Youtube Series

Postby David1917 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:11 pm

Edit Number 2: Since the first few videos, the format has not followed the "one week lecture / one week Q&A" as originally planned. The videos have covered a various number of topics, and they are all posted here. The comments sections of these videos have inspired some of the others that he has produced (e.g. Time-based vs. Task-based Foreign Language Learning,) so if you have anything you really want to hear from him about, you could peruse the comments sections of these videos.

Edit/Update: Since the good Professor has promised to keep making videos weekly, I changed the name of the thread to not only refer to the initial video about the survey of language learner traits, and instead made it a more general discussion about the continuing series.

As detailed in one of the below posts, for those not up to speed, Prof will make a video each Saturday discussing some topic or other, and solicit questions to be posted in the comments section. The following Saturday he will answer the questions, and so on.

Original post follows.

=============

For those who may not be subscribers or checking Youtube regularly, Prof Arguelles has uploaded his first video in several years detailing a research project on characteristics of polyglots as opposed to "normal language learners."

Survey link:

https://www.questionpro.com/a/TakeSurve ... 7WnWwD0%3D

He asks that the link be distributed as widely as possible, especially to non-polyglots but who have an interest in languages and may have learned one.

Admin EDIT: I fixed your YouTube embedded link. You only need the part after the = symbol.
Last edited by David1917 on Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
17 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Re: New Prof Arguelles Video

Postby golyplot » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:45 pm

How many non-verbal languages have you studied (Braille, Sign Language, etc.)?

I am disappointed by this question, as Braille is not a language. It is a writing system. Could you ask him to fix the survey?
10 x

Skynet
Green Belt
Shona (N)
French (DELF B2)
German (Goethe-Zertifikat B2)
Spanish (DELE B2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8686

Postby Skynet » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:20 pm

63. What are your attitudes toward learning languages? Check all that apply:

A: Learning languages is addictive.

Need I say more? :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:44 pm

I had to keep a tab open that showed all my languages (I used my profile here), otherwise I couldn't answer the questions properly. I also realized that I have studied about 28 languages at one point or another... :D :lol:
7 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: New Prof Argüelles video and survey

Postby Serpent » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:45 am

Grrrr!
Don't go back to page one, or you'll lose your answers from page two!
:cry:
4 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

jonm
Orange Belt
Spanish (adv.)
Bangla (int.)
French (passive)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9402

Postby jonm » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:44 am

[EDIT: After reading Serpent's post below, I think It's possible that the error I describe here was caused by leaving a question unanswered. If so, no need to finish each page within fifteen minutes.]

Also, just a heads-up: The introduction to the survey says, "The system will log you out after 15 minutes of inactivity," but in my case, that seems to have happened after fifteen minutes spent on one page of the survey, even though I was actively answering questions that entire time.

This was on the last page of the survey, which calls for some introspection about language-learning experiences and could easily take upwards of fifteen minutes to complete, especially if you've studied several languages. I was working my way down the page, and after what could have been fifteen minutes, an inactivity warning popped up. There wasn't an obvious way to let the system know I wasn't actually being inactive, so I just went back to answering questions, taking maybe twenty minutes in all to finish that page. Then when I hit submit, I got an error.

I've emailed Professor Argüelles about the issue, and I thought I'd give this heads-up, although I'm not sure what to suggest, since it could have just been a one-off thing. Finishing and submitting each page within fifteen minutes seems like a sure way to avoid any problems, but ideally it would be better to have no time constraints, since the questions do call for some introspection. It definitely helps to make a list of your languages beforehand.
Last edited by jonm on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:26 pm

I got an error too. I thought it was because I had left one answer blank.
0 x
Corrections welcome

jonm
Orange Belt
Spanish (adv.)
Bangla (int.)
French (passive)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9402

Postby jonm » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:18 pm

Serpent wrote:I got an error too. I thought it was because I had left one answer blank.

Oh, I wonder if that's what happened. I did take the survey again, and the second time it went through no problem. I can't remember, but it's possible that I had a blank answer the first time but not the second time (my answers were slightly different, I guess from reflecting on them a little in the interim). I did also make sure to finish each page within fifteen minutes, but maybe that wasn't necessary after all.

Anyway, seems like the survey program has some issues that should be looked at, but the survey itself is very interesting. I'm curious to hear about the findings.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:53 pm

tarvos wrote:I also realized that I have studied about 28 languages at one point or another... :D :lol:

I counted 25 when I took the survey yesterday, and today I realized I had forgotten at least two. :D You win.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:43 pm

Last year I had dinner with espejismo and his Argentinean friend who was visiting Moscow. The latter asked how many languages I'm learning and I said "a couple dozen" :lol:
In the professor's questionnaire I got to 30, of which I "know" 28 :D (my Yiddish and toki pona are pretty much useless)
3 x
Corrections welcome

Return to “General Language Discussion”