New Prof Argüelles Youtube Series

General discussion about learning languages
David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Re: New Prof Argüelles Youtube Series

Postby David1917 » Sat May 08, 2021 4:13 am

He returns with a brief ad for Concordia. I wish I could have gone last Summer while still in school. Anytime now would be hard to pull off.
2 x

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:59 pm

So exciting to see his face pop back up in my Youtube feed the other day with the "Apology & Promise" video. It seems he (finally?) has a Smartphone so he can very easily make a quick video and upload it onto Youtube. I know the tech side of things stresses him out so hopefully being able to set aside 5-10 minutes every few days for a video becomes the norm.

In these videos Prof A discusses a re-assessment of the Pimsleur courses, some have the benefit of the same material, so comparative study works great with them. He also modifies the courses to have no pauses for shadowing, and gives another shadowing demo.

Here are the latest:

3 x

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:06 pm

In reviewing this thread it looks like all the Concordia videos he made are no longer available, so I checked their site and he is not on the Leadership list anymore, but he apparently still lives in Bemidji, MN. Hopefully he lets us know soon what's new in his world. The first Pimsleur video said that he "now has access to" the whole library. Maybe he got a remote job with Pimsleur or something, ha!

Edit: Dummy, I just re-watched the first video directed to the people who came up to meet him last week at a Concordia event. :roll:
Last edited by David1917 on Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:58 pm

David1917 wrote:In reviewing this thread it looks like all the Concordia videos he made are no longer available, so I checked their site and he is not on the Leadership list anymore, but he apparently still lives in Bemidji, MN. Hopefully he lets us know soon what's new in his world. The first Pimsleur video said that he "now has access to" the whole library. Maybe he got a remote job with Pimsleur or something, ha!
Pimsleur's new subscription service gives access to their entire library rather than requiring you to sign up for one language at a time on a monthly basis. I think that's what he's referring to.
0 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:12 am

True, and as the kind of person he is, he probably did sign up to try it out. It just also could be through an institution. Not necessarily Pimsleur itself, of course.
0 x

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:58 pm

Responses to questions on the Shadowing video:

1 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:51 pm

David1917 wrote:Responses to questions on the Shadowing video:

It's hard to beat his first shadowing response video which included the question, "Is it really necessary to walk back and forth and turn around so rapidly on a bridge?".

His sincerity is delightful.

I liked his point about narrating the story.

And doing it with your eyes closed.
1 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

RyanSmallwood
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: English

Postby RyanSmallwood » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:14 am

I was a bit surprised he said he shadows whole audiobooks and finds it enjoyable for him. I remember him mentioning audiobooks in the past, but I just thought he maybe shadowed sections of them and mainly as a form of additional practice. But I guess he's been doing it for so long it must be pretty automatic for him now. I did a lot of shadowing in my early years of language learning, so I can see how it becomes normal, but I don't think I'd ever shadow something for enjoyment.

I've thought possibly doing recordings of books could be interesting, so I can see the interest in narrating books. But I think for enjoyment I'd want to appreciate audio on its own or narrating on its own (whether reading silently or out loud), and keep shadowing just as a kind of exercise.
2 x

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:48 am

Genuine question: am I the only one who finds shadowing of limited value? For instance, now I shadow the Latin audio course when I walk my dog. I don't have any problems with shadowing. However it doesn't translate into my active skills. It even has limited impact on my passive skills — it doesn't cement declensions in my head. I find that without some active training exercises (like retelling, or doing 'put the right' ending drills/flashcard, going through grammar tables, or reverse translation), shadowing barely improves my active skills. I treat it as a nice review exercise (quite a lazy one) but nothing more.
5 x

RyanSmallwood
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: English

Postby RyanSmallwood » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:53 am

I’d say I find it somewhat limited. I think what it can help with is making sure you notice all the sounds as a beginner, focus on less compelling audio material for longer, and get used to practicing the mouth movements for speaking while being able to listen and correct yourself to some extent.

So in terms of active skills it might be a helpful first step for someone who has not been speaking or doing production exercises to start producing sounds, but I don’t see it developing more complex active skills any better than say, reading silently and sub-vocalizing (or reading aloud if you want to practice the actual sound production).

I don’t use it as much as I used to, I tend to prefer a lot of listening without interference of hearing myself speak at first, but it’s potentially useful at times.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”