New Prof Argüelles Youtube Series

General discussion about learning languages
David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Re: New Prof Argüelles Youtube Series

Postby David1917 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:21 pm

jonm wrote:Yeah, I think it's really cool that he's sharing the journey. I've read his account of how he learned his languages (here and on the old forum), but I've never gotten to see him in the early stages with a new language. I wonder if he'll be using his usual methods such as shadowing Assimil or only the activities in the language village. Also curious at what point he'll start reading and working up to classic literature. In any case, it's cool seeing his commitment to Finnish only and the attitude he brings to learning a new language, very "beginner's mind."

I think he'll refrain from using outside sources for a couple reasons: 1) to truly assess the villages he presides over and, perhaps more cynically 2) to have these videos serve as an advertisement for Concordia: like "world famous polyglot learns his 46th language at our Finnish village!"

The 2nd video of the series, of which I've only watched half, begins with him showing some preliminary findings regarding the language, and he says he chose not to consult a grammar/dictionary at this stage. Considering he narrates the video in English, it's clear that there is no specific pledge a la Middlebury, and he shows that one of the phrases he is using is "how do you say x in Finnish?"
Last edited by David1917 on Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:22 pm

Here are the two most recent episodes:

1 x

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:38 am

Episode Four. He also admits in one of the videos on Concordia's Facebook page that he has been "sneaking away" to look at grammar books, so my initial guess was off - I thought he might stick it out until completing the immersion.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:33 pm

Episode 5

Episode 6

Episode 7

Episode 8

3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:30 pm

All silent on the Prof front, however, his son Ardaschir was recently interviewed by Ron Paul regarding his homeschool curriculum, which Ardaschir had been enrolled in.

I'm posting this here because the Prof recently made a video discussing homeschooling his children in general, with some particular attention paid of course to languages. Ardaschir scored a perfect 1600 on his SAT (standardized [ridiculous] entrance exam for college, for those not from the US) at age 16 and discusses the need for "self-discipline"...sounds familiar.

Ron Paul does discuss his reasons for creating a homeschool curriculum in opposition to government/public schools - as always, please refrain from commenting on that aspect of the video here.

8 x

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:54 am

Mike Campbell interviews Alexander Arguelles on his ideas about his polygot academy and experience with consistency and deliberate learning. I think here Prof. Arguelles seems much more open and easygoing than in other videos that he's done.
11 x

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:16 am

Long-awaited upload of Arguelles's talk in Japan on learning Finnish.
5 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:51 am

David1917 wrote:Long-awaited upload of Arguelles's talk in Japan on learning Finnish.

Thanks for sharing this very interesting video, David1917. It provided me with more insight on Arguelle's methods prior to this immersion experience, which I feel are quite similar to mine in many ways (textbooks, grammar books). It's always nice to compare your own methods with those of someone who is very successful at the same activity, and even more so if you feel you have some common ground with that person's methods and approach.

Also, I found it really interesting, the immersion village and how he went about getting the most out being immersed himself in a new language by looking for every opportunity to acquire more Finnish from his surroundings and the Finnish teachers on location ;)
0 x

Gustav Aschenbach
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), French (C1), Dutch (beginner), Spanish (beginner), Portuguese (beginner)

Postby Gustav Aschenbach » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:26 am

It's always a pleasure to see and hear the professor. But the conference also serves as an event to promote language related products. Steve Kaufman advertises Lingq, Prof. Argüelles the language villages etc.
1 x

ryanheise
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner)

Postby ryanheise » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:36 am

Really enjoyed the talk. (New thread, maybe?)

As a matter of practicality, I won't be attending a language village any time soon, but I still take value from his "Metacognitive Reflections". In particular, when asked after the Austrian conference what was going on inside his head when he learns, he said:

Timestamp: 28:50

What I was doing is I was never waiting for a second. I was always taking what did I just learn and how can I use that to learn something more. So I was constantly doing that. I just learned this. How can I use that to get me to know something even more.

Now when I reflect on my own learning, this also seems to be what I do for exactly those things I'm good at. For the rest, I feel a sort of artificial resistance barrier. Do you ever have that feeling where when you study one thing, it feels like the energy is being drained out of you, but when you study another thing it feels like it's actually giving you energy? That video clip in his talk where he is the only student in the class who is actively asking questions and writing down notes, while the rest of the class was just passively listening, reminds me of that artificial resistance barrier.

His ability to focus on language learning for 13 hours a day without fatigue is maybe similar to my ability to focus on programming for 13 hours a day without fatigue. My limit for language learning seems to be around 2 hours a day, although I'm pretty sure that that's a function of how familiar you already are with the thing you're studying.
5 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”