An attempt to learn two languages simultaneously

General discussion about learning languages
Speakeasy

Re: An attempt to learn two languages simultaneously

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:38 pm

Please forgive me my late reply. The most recent discussion of this question occurred but a few weeks ago ...

Learning 2 languages -- LLORG -- August 2018
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8817

This type of question has been asked so many times over the years, both here on the LLORG and on the HTLAL, that perhaps it merits its own permanent file at the head of the General Language Discussion sub-forum.
2 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:47 pm

Speakeasy wrote:Please forgive me my late reply. The most recent discussion of this question occurred but a few weeks ago ...

Learning 2 languages -- LLORG -- August 2018
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8817

This type of question has been asked so many times over the years, both here on the LLORG and on the HTLAL, that perhaps it merits its own permanent file at the head of the General Language Discussion sub-forum.

You'll notice that the person posting that question was a monolingual beginner - here, it is someone with already some mileage in the language game and, off the bat, asking about Anki strategy... not quite the same zebra, it would seem. But certainly it might merit a wiki entry...
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

dicentra8
Orange Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), Japanese (JLPT N3), Finnish (beginner), French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9114

Postby dicentra8 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:56 pm

Hi and welcome, I'm also a new member. :)

Personally, I prefer to reach a confortable level with vocabulary in one TL before I start using it for another TL. For example, I recently started learning Finnish and I feel like I understand better some words when I see their Japanese translation (instead of the English one). For basic/straightfoward vocabulary (car, ice cream, etc), learning like that is ok but then there's other vocabulary which might be harder to apply that to. One problem is what Serpent just mentioned

Serpent wrote:What's more important here is that many words have multiple meanings.

Then there's also when one word is used in a certain context with a certain meaning, and in the other language it might be different (but seeing their translation, they seem pretty much the same). That has happened to me a few times.
2 x
"I have to watch the time I spend playing Tetris very carefully."

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:01 pm

zenmonkey wrote: You'll notice that the person posting that question was a monolingual beginner - here, it is someone with already some mileage in the language game and, off the bat, asking about Anki strategy... not quite the same zebra, it would seem. But certainly it might merit a wiki entry...
While your point is well-taken, I would submit that the difficulties of learning two languages simultaneously, in themselves, remain unchanged. As has been pointed out repeatedly in discussions of this topic, very few people have actually been able to manage this challenge successfully. Nevertheless, I support the idea a wiki entry despite the fact that -- in my opinion -- most people never refer to them before posting repetitive questions on this forum. Grumpy Sunday afternoon.
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:34 pm

Speakeasy wrote:Grumpy Sunday afternoon.

And a time-traveler too!

I have to think about what you wrote. I've erased my response twice now. :lol:
I honestly have no idea what the success rates are of independent language learners.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “General Language Discussion”