Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
EGP
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Macedonian (B2), German (A1)

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby EGP » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:05 pm

Hi, my name's John, and this is my first post. I've been an English (ESL) teacher for 20 years. I taught in Tokyo, Berlin, Chonburi (Thailand), and Australia. Most of this time was spent teaching young adults preparing to enter university in Australia.

Sadly, the covid situation has meant no international students and now no work for the last year. With so much time on my hands, I have actually been studying English grammar and vocabulary in great depth through corpora. The special skill that I would like to share is my ability to use corpora, and I hope to find like-minded individuals or those that I can help.

I grew up speaking Macedonian with my parents. I learnt German in high school, one subject in Uni, and I practised some when I lived in Germany. I do not actively learn either of these though. I have no use for them.

To the moderators, I have read your rules about links and hope that I can make a valuable contribution to language learners. You should know that I do have my own language site. I have taught myself a great deal of coding to build a unique app based on language complexity.

Anyways, nice to meet you!
6 x
I research English grammar and vocabulary in corpora.

BarelyGlot
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (B2), Italian (beginner)

Postby BarelyGlot » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:00 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm from Portugal and this is the first time I try to learn a foreign language by myself. At the moment I know Portuguese (native) and English (I had classes in school).
I've started studying Italian by myself and I came here to find how to do it :)
5 x

Sprocket
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Spanish (B2), Dutch (beginner)

Postby Sprocket » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:50 am

Hello everyone, I'm Sprocket and I'm here to improve my Dutch! My native language is English but I used to live and work in France - unfortunately, I had to move back to the UK a few years ago for family reasons, and I'm worried I'm getting rusty now that I spend most of my days surrounded by English again, so I'm also looking to maintain (and hopefully even improve) my French and Spanish as well.
7 x

wintermute
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (A2), Spanish (A2), French (A1), Russian (A0)

Postby wintermute » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:09 pm

Hello everyone! My name is Roelof, my native language is Dutch, I am pretty fluent in English, and I am currently learning Russian. I study psychology and in my free time I enjoy climbing and reading :)
5 x

linguatom
Languages: English (fluent), Italian (beginner)

Postby linguatom » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:57 pm

Hey everyone! I'm Thomas from Scotland. I'm just starting on learning Italian, because it is a beautiful language and country. :D Any the hip hop is molta buona... amo la musica hip hop haha.
5 x
Amo la musica hip hop

Return to “General Language Discussion”