Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
Carl
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C2), Norwegian (C1), Spanish (B1), Danish (reading only), German (A1-2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=16220

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby Carl » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:59 pm

I lived five years each in Sweden and Norway and worked three months in the German-speaking part of Switzerland. Plus five months in Japan, as a teenager. I've picked up a bunch of the local language in each place, and tools like those discussed on this site give me hope that I can achieve at least B2 fluency in Spanish, despite barely having visited any Spanish-speaking countries. I keep some nodding reading and listening acquaintance with German, so it will be not entirely atrophied when I decide to focus on it again.

I've been mildly irritated for decades that I can't understand spoken Danish, even though I have no problem reading the language, so I've started a listening-reading experiment with the goal of being able to understand Danish TV, radio, and reasonably clear and Copenhagen-ish conversations. I have described and will chronicle the experiment on my language log, which, if I have successfully updated my profile, has a link off to the left here. In case the update hasn't taken hold yet, the log is at https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=16220
4 x

tery
Languages: German (N)
English (C1-C2)
French (B1)
Chinese (Mandarin) (Beginner)

Postby tery » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:49 pm

Heya!
I found this forum online whilst searching for some sort of language exchange/polyglot community (mostly because i feel having a community helps a lot with motivation) and decided to register because it looked really nice and welcoming!
I'm 23, from Germany, been a language enthusiast for a while now and have started to learn quite a bunch of them over the time (italian, spanish in school, after that russian and norwegian in uni), none of them stuck though, forgot almost everything of them. This year i started with french, this time not with an uni course which i think was really the crucial part of why i stuck through the beginners part this time and reached an (still low) intermediate level. Guess I just realized that learning languages is a really individual thing and i have to find my own ways to approach it.
So, I'm still putting in a lot of time with french and hoping to become fluent, and this year i also started learning mandarin as well. somewhere along the line i wanna pick up spanish and russian again, but thats really just a thing for the future.

So, it's nice to meet you all!
6 x

MorkTheFiddle
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek, aiming for mastery by 2424. Studying a bit of Latin and Japanese. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:20 pm

Welcome to LLORG, Tery.
1 x
Tu sabes cuando sales pero no sabes cuando regresas.

Znewna
Languages: Dutch (N), German (C2), French (B1), English (A2), Italian (A1), Hebrew (beginner)

Postby Znewna » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:53 am

Hi! I'm new here.
I'm from Belgium. My native language is dutch. But I'm living in Germany for 20 years, so my german is very good. I'm learning french and italian and I'd like to exercise my english, which I've learned for 25 years at school and never practiced afterwards. :roll:
So I'm glad if you correct my faults.
3 x

Language patzer
Languages: Greek native, English C2, French B2

Postby Language patzer » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:30 am

Hi, I am a Greek native speaker, from Athens.

I am going for C2 French. My current level is B2 on paper, but lower in reality.

I will study seriously, but I am learning for fun!

Nice to be here.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”