Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
themethod
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (Upper Intermediate), Spanish (Upper Intermediate)

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby themethod » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:06 pm

Привет everyone,

I'm an American, living in Asia, learning Russian.

This forum has been a great resource of both practical and inspirational information for me in my language learning, and I'm hoping to pick everyone's brains even more in the future! :lol:

Cheers
0 x

Mline
Languages: French (N), English, spanish, italian, German (Beginner)

Postby Mline » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:05 pm

Hello

My name is Emeline, I'm french.
I've started learning English and spanish in middle school, and I studied italian for 2 years in college (+ latin, which lead to lose lots of my spanish abilities). I'm starting to learn German on my own, with books, and if it has obvious similarities with english, it's more difficult for a french speaker.. And I've tested some languages apps for fun (dutch, swedish, russian).
I can read and understand english, I can read italian and spanish (but I lack vocabulary). I watch lots of movies in english or in any original language with subtitles, and I also read books in english (my favourite fantasy authors write in english), and some other books in italian.
BUT I never really had opportunities to speak / discuss in any of the languages I learnt... (5 days vacations in Rome, Dublin or London are not enough...). So I would like to improve !

sorry for the typos I may have missed and feel free to correct my sentences if necessary!
1 x

wandrien
Languages: Russian (N), English (B2), Slovene (A2~B1), Serbian (A1), Czech, (A1), Spanish (A1)

Postby wandrien » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:04 am

Hello everyone! I'm Vadim. I'm a native Russian speaker.

I'm interested in too many languages to have any hope of learning all of them. Those include: virtually all Romance and Slavic, many Turkic, Finnish, Latvian, Lithuanian, Japanese, Indonesian, Hawaiian, Tagalog, Quechua... and maybe some more.

The foreign language I speak best, beside English, is Slovene. I really love this language very much!

I've studied Serbian and Bulgarian as well, and I understand these languages relatively well, but haven't had practice for a very long time.

Recently I started studying Czech, and I am still at the very beginning.
I'am able to understand some words and expressions in Czech and Slovak due to their similarity to Russian and Slovenian, but it's very difficult to grasp the meaning of full statements. So I decided to go deeper in Czech to be able to understand more of the spoken language.

I can understand and speak some basic Italian, Spanish and Portuguese, but these languages are now on pause due to lack of time.

Currently, my main focus is learning Czech and further improving of my Slovene. I hope I will also find some time to renew my Serbian and Bulgarian or take a course of some Romance language.
4 x

lingzz_langzz
Yellow Belt
Languages: N: Polish, C: English, Spanish, Hungarian, Catalan, B: Italian, Turkish, A: Czech
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=14260

Postby lingzz_langzz » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:00 pm

Hey, people!

My name´s Kuba, I come from Poland but I live in Barcelona.

I speak Polish, English, Spanish, Catalan and Hungarian fluently and on my way for more!
Currently discovering Occitan and in May I am starting with Greek!

I am generally interested in almost any language and also am still trying to figure our my way and style of learning,
my approach and so on.

Hope to have a nice talk with all of you around here, thanks!
2 x

Cezary
Languages: Polish - native
English - advanced
German - advanced
Spanish, French, Latin - beginner

Postby Cezary » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:53 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm Cezary from Poland. I have to admit that I'm a real language enthusiast. I also teach English and German in school - I'm not going to write more, if you love languages, just contact me :)
I speak Polish,English and German fluently.
I would like to learn new languages - I'm looking for a language exchange.

Best wishes from Poland,
Cezary
3 x

CarolineDavis
Languages: English (N), French (C1), German (B2.2).

Postby CarolineDavis » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:52 pm

Hi I'm Caroline and I'm looking for top tips on how to keep my French and German skills up to scratch. I am living in the UK due to the pandemic.

I'm currently enrolled in online classes at DAS Akademie (in Berlin) where they teach entirely in German and it's proving to be hugely beneficial as I only speak German for the whole lesson. I really recommend them!

Any other tips to keep up my languages? I'm really worried I'll lose fluency.
0 x

Lord_Phil
Languages: English C1, French C1, Italian N, Spanish B2, Estonian, A1, Farsi A1, Swedish A1, German A2

Postby Lord_Phil » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:21 pm

Hi everyone! I've just joined this forum and looking forward to exploring it and reading all the interesting things you are talking about :)
I'm passionate about languages and travelling, and I hope to find like-minded people here :)
2 x

Cezary
Languages: Polish - native
English - advanced
German - advanced
Spanish, French, Latin - beginner

Postby Cezary » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:30 am

Lord_Phil wrote:Hi everyone! I've just joined this forum and looking forward to exploring it and reading all the interesting things you are talking about :)
I'm passionate about languages and travelling, and I hope to find like-minded people here :)

Hello Phil ! How are you? I noticed you learn many interesting languages. What's more, some of them on a very good level. What's your current language project?
Best,
Cezary
0 x

HerrSignore
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
German (B1/B2)
Italian (A2)
Portuguese (A2)
Spanish (A1)
French (A1)

Postby HerrSignore » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:17 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to have joined this community! I've been passionate about languages for years now. I started out my journey with Italian ten years ago and since then have studied to varying degrees other languages including Spanish, Portuguese, French, German and also dabbled slightly with Russian. I'm a native English speaker but currently living in Switzerland, hence the need to learn German! I also learn Italian - it is a Swiss language after all!

I'm hoping to discover some good resources to help me in my studies and share ideas with other language learners.
1 x

gilsjhonny
Languages: Spanish (N), English, French (beginner), Finnish (beginner)

Postby gilsjhonny » Sat May 02, 2020 2:44 am

Hello there! I'm Jhonny! I was born in Venezuela but I'm currently living in Buenos Aires, Argentina, therefore my mother tongue is Spanish. I also can speak English decent enough even though I never took English classes before but I was quite immersed in the language so it came natural to me.

I have a basic grasp of French but I had to abandon it at the lesson 60 of Assimil (due to lack of time) and I started learning Finnish two months ago with Assimil and Suomen Mestari books since I'm planning to move there in a year or so.

Can't wait to share with you all! ❤️
4 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”