General discussion about learning languages
SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby SGP » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:50 pm

Hujambo Mikonai!

mikonai wrote:Hi! I'm Mikonai. Once upon a time I was on the old HTLAL, but it seems people have largely moved here. Happy to find everyone again!

I still try to keep up practice on Italian, but I recently have also gotten some good reasons to try to pick up Swahili.
Karibu sana. I already was wondering where the other Swahili learners are.
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

mikonai
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Italian (C1ish), Swahili (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9891

Postby mikonai » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:22 pm

SGP wrote:Karibu sana. I already was wondering where the other Swahili learners are.

Asante! Nimefurahi kukuona. It seems we are a rare breed, but I'm glad to see there are one or two of us around :)
1 x
Assimil Le Swahili Sans Peine Passive Wave: 28 / 100Active Wave: 0 / 100
Language Transfer Complete Swahili: 21 / 110
Living Language Swahili: 4 / 15

sporedandroid
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (A2-B1)

Postby sporedandroid » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:45 am

Hi I’m sporedandroid and I’m 22 years old and Canadian. My mother tongue is Spanish, but I’m far more comfortable speaking English. I’d estimate my level in Spanish is intermediate. I can mostly understand tv shows and movies, but I stutter when I try to speak Spanish and I’m not great at reading and writing like a lot of heritage speakers. I was in French immersion in grade one(age six.) I had to quit the next year because of a fear of speaking French. I can kind of get the gist of some text in French, but I can’t really understand spoken French.

I got into Bjork when I was fourteen. I didn’t just get interested in Icelandic because of Bjork, but because of the documentary on Daniel Tammet learning it in a week. I didn’t reach a super high level. The most challenging thing for me was the obscurity and a lot of words having ten definitions in the dictionary. I also dabbled in other Nordic languages. I think two years after that I temporarily lost interest in languages.

Four years ago I got interested in Jewish culture so I briefly studied Hebrew. I quickly lost interest and just got overwhelmed. I got interested in Hebrew again, so I kind of went back to it. I decided to take it slow and just expose myself to some music and movies without studying all that much. A few months ago I started studying more seriously. I also discovered Olle Kjellin’s chorusing method. So I decided to try it out for Hebrew.

I also find Turkish cool sounding. Usually that’s not a good enough reason for me to learn a language, but my parents said they might have a family trip. So I’m learning a bit of Turkish. Just greetings and some phrases and vocabulary that are relevant to travel. I’ll mainly focus on phonology and chorusing or other ways of practicing pronunciation.

I know learning two languages at once isn’t ideal, but it makes chorusing far more interesting. When I was first chorusing Hebrew I couldn’t get myself to sync up to it for a few weeks. When I got an app for chorusing and more ideal clips I was finally able to sync up. When I started Turkish I couldn’t get myself to sync up with it and I found I had to change my voice a lot. When I returned two days later I noticed my voice synced up way better. I also feel like my voice changes more when I speak Turkish compared to Hebrew. But my voice harmonizes better with Hebrew.
7 x

Ice Blue
White Belt
Languages: French (N), English
Learning : Russian
On hold : Croatian, German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9916

Postby Ice Blue » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:21 am

Hi everyone!

I'm Ice Blue, a 28 year old living in the French speaking part of Switzerland. I've been lurking on this forum and the HTLAL one for a very long time. The reason why I never started participating is that I always thought it would distract me from actually working on my languages ; I decided I'd give it a try this year :)

My first language is French and I study German, Croatian and Hungarian. My English is a bit rusty because I haven't had a lot of occasions to use it lately but that might change if I start a log here!

Good day :D
5 x

cadomniel
Languages: English, Spanish

Postby cadomniel » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:59 pm

Wow! nice to find this forum. I was on HTLAL way back in 2008. I love learning languages, it was a main hobby for me in university and for a few years after university. I have met my wife in an online language exchange back in 2010...when she moved to Canada she didn't know very much English and I spoke more spanish. Now she is 3rd year nursing degree here in Canada so her English has advanced much farther than I have in spanish.
I am ok in Spanish but haven't actively studied it for 8 years, so it has only been improving slowly.
My goal this year is to get Spanish and French to a professional level of of fluency. I believe both are really close...
6 x

glassbow
Languages: Hindi(N), English (B2)

Postby glassbow » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:57 pm

Thank you for your message. If you want I can provide you with samples of the books that we have so that you can see and understand how our books will help your forum.

It will be better if I can do a giveaway for the people of this forum. Let me know if you like the sound of that
0 x

javier_getafe
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2). In the way to get C1 certificate this year 2022. Wish me luck ;)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10163

Postby javier_getafe » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:01 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a spanish 49 yo men and I have been so mad studying english for the last five years or so. At last, the last june I achieved my B2 level in an official exam from the Official School of Languages, so I am currently on my way to C1 level.
I actually don't know if five long years is much o not for B2 level but I assure you than I have worked so hard and never less than 10 hours a week, so I can not really consider myself as a specially gifted for lenguages. But, it has become a passion and nowaday devoting time every day is completely normal (anki time, podcast...) for me.

Eventually, I discovered this forum only days ago, and I was completely taken aback by the great and amaze people trying to learn a lot of lenguages and I have decided to start to learn another new language.I really feel enthusiasted about it.

Good day!
8 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
Languages: Fr (N), EN (C1),
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=9983

Postby Aloyse » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:11 am

Hello all,

I"m currently middle-aged with a lifelong interest in languages.

I have been learning Mandarin for the past 10 years with some highs and some lows. Currently I don't attend a class but I have a listening + vocabulary review routine.

This year I (re)started Japanese. The class location and time were convenient. I haven't been studying really hard.

I'd like to work on my Spanish and spoken English but I've been saying this for quite a few years now...

(trying not to get distracted by other languages but it happens sometimes!)
4 x
Future me already did it.

Eves
Languages: English, Farsi (Native, but not totally fluent)

Postby Eves » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:37 am

Hello everyone!

Native Persian here who left Iran right in the middle of the Iran-Iraq War, and since I was only 3-years-old when I departed my Farsi is not very good. I've been lately interested in German and have been using Duolingo for the time being. I eventually want to learn Spanish too as there a lot of Spanish speakers in my area.
3 x

carsongundersen
Languages: english
portuguese
spanish

Postby carsongundersen » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:26 am

My name is Carson Gundersen. I am a native english speaker and am fluent in Portuguese. i can also speak spanish! I would love to expand my knowledge of the spanish language and learn more languages! I can also help with Portuguese!
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”