Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
bejewelled_niffler
White Belt
Languages: English (N) Hindi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19886

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby bejewelled_niffler » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:06 pm

Hi all, I am a native English speaking learning Hindi. I've been going at it for about a year and a half but have not had earth-shattering progress. I am here to be among like-minded people, to feel inspired and get study ideas.

I'm not officially learning Spanish and don't have any huge interest in it at this time, but maybe I'll mention it occasionally, because it's what I sometimes turn to for a breather if I'm getting too tense over Hindi.
9 x

kleene*star
White Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (Advanced), Hebrew (beginner)

Postby kleene*star » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:08 am

Hello everyone, like (I assume) anyone on here, I'm really passionate about languages, my native language is Italian and I've taught myself several languages throughout my life (mainly Romance, Germanic, Slavic and Semitic), although I have to admit that - much to my shame - right now I'm only fluent in Italian and English. I also love linguistics a lot and have spent the last years studying linguistics more than any specific language. Right now I would like to teach myself Turkish because I find it an extremely fascinating language for several reasons.
11 x

EngrishJohnny
Languages: English (native), Japanese (beginner/intermediate)

Postby EngrishJohnny » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:19 am

Good afternoon, good evening, and good night! I'm John, from Canada... Learning Japanese for over a year now. It's been a bumpy ride, as these things usually are. I find languages super interesting, we study French in school since Canada is a bilingual country. In reality however, no one really learns it unless they pursue it after highschool or decide to do emersion. And in my time learning Japanese I believe I made it further than the 5 mandatory years of learning French. lol. Well I was never the best student! Best of Luck to y'all! :D :D
4 x

laotzu002
Languages: Russian, Greek, Ancient Greek

Postby laotzu002 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:27 am

Hello everyone,
I am currently studying Russian with a professional teacher who is a certificated teacher of Russian as a foreign language. I have had approximately 40 hours but am still very much a beginner. I have toyed with Russian off and on for a dozen years, tried self-teaching and then late last year jumped in and found a professional teacher to actually teach me.

I am also interested in learning Ancient Greek and modern Greek.

I am interested in talking with others who are studying Russian and/or Ancient or modern Greek.
2 x

mdbusinessenglish
Languages: German, French, English

Postby mdbusinessenglish » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:58 am

HI,
I am Markus from Switzerland. I am a business english coach. I taugh english for finance and business.
2 x

jessicamendoza
Languages: english (B2) turkish (N)

Postby jessicamendoza » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:27 pm

Hi, I'm Jessica. I'm from Mississippi. But I live in Turkiye. I'm 20 years old. I came Turkiye when i was 5. So my English is tiny little bit bad. :)
I'm a lawyer student in here. I love music. I can play electro guitar a little bit. So that's who i am. Have a good day. :D
4 x

cat
Languages: Portuguese (N), Spanish (B1), Swedish (A2)

Postby cat » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:40 am

Hi! I'm a native Portuguese speaker and I'm looking to improve my Swedish. :D Besides that I speak English and Spanish.
6 x

S_Shevtsov
Languages: English (B2), Russian (C2), Ukrainian (C2)

Postby S_Shevtsov » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:34 am

Lila wrote:Hi everybody! My name is Lila and I'm a non native English language tutor working at an online tutoring company. Learning a language nowadays has become a powerful tool for reaching one's goals.And that's the reason why so many people decide to take up a foreign language and especially English. First of all you need to set your learning goals before starting. Why do you want to learn a new language? How many hours a day can you devote yourself to learning? What way should I choose to learn quickly? Do I have to study on my own ? To listen to video talks and movies without subtitles?To read grammar books and articles? To hire an experienced teacher?Or maybe all of these? I'm waiting for your answers. :( ;)

"Hi Lila,
I think the best way to learn a new language is to find a good teacher, ideally for one-to-one sessions.
I have such an experience and got a positive result.
As for a time, I spent 1-2 hours a day with exercises in speaking, listening, reading, and writing.
Also it's very useful to read books/ articles and watch videos in this language.

I am interested in your opinion too about your questions"
3 x

dubendorf
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (beginner), Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=20113

Postby dubendorf » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:20 am

Hi everyone! I am an American currently living in Norway. I found my way here via Alexander Arguelles' videos. I thought that lurking on here would be a better source of procrastination than Youtube :D . I have been learning Norwegian for a little over a year and have tried many language learning materials over that time. The Norwegian page on the wiki is a bit sparse, so I might try to update it with some of the better resources I have found. In addition to Norwegian, I took Spanish in school and used it traveling around Latin American, but haven't kept up on it. Learning Norwegian has bitten me with the polyglot bug and I am thinking about adding Italian, French, and maybe Russian to my goals in the future.

Hyggelig å treffe dere!
Last edited by dubendorf on Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 x

OCroston
Languages: English (N), Latin (A2), Ancient Greek (beginner), Old Norse (beginner), Old English (beginner) and Swedish (beginner)

Postby OCroston » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:45 am

Hi I'm from England. I hated studying languages when at school, but years later as part of my Master's degree I needed to learn Latin. I loved it and continued learning. Illness stood in my way and I found I had to start all over again. Just over a year ago I began to learn Attic Greek and this year I have begun Old Norse, Old English and Swedish. I'm so glad to have found this forum and hope to get some tips. :D
10 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”