Orange Belt
Languages: Korean (native)
English (secondary native)
German (C1)
Hindi (intermediate)

passable: Mandarin, Japanese

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby Jiwon » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:33 pm

7APTARSHI wrote:Hello everyone, I am Saptarshi Bardhan. I am from India and my native language is Bengali.

I am here to share my knowledge of my own language with you all and I want to learn and practice French and English. A long time ago I had studied Spanish for almost 3 years; I used to attend class of a local language school for 3 hours per week. In 2016, I tried to learn Italian for 1 year. Then I shifted my interest to French and have decided to concentrate on French finally as there are lots of books are available to study French and there is a centre of Alliance Francaise in my city. I want to improve my French and sit for A1 A2 exams as early as possible.

This website is awesome! C'est super! এই ওয়েবসাইটটা দুর্দান্ত...!!! :P :P

Greetings Saptarshi. I am not learning Bangla myself, but I do have a text book at home. I also have Hindi (duh) and Urdu text books to keep me company.

I will visit India for the fifth time in January, but will not be visiting Bengal. I stay mostly in the Hindi Belt - Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh.. :) The farthest I've ventured out was to Ahmedabad, and it wasn't a pleasant experience not being able to read most of the signs.
2 x
कहाँ -
मेरा अधिवास कहाँ?

Not Daryl
Languages: English(N), Mandarin(too much time),Spanish(A1)

Postby Not Daryl » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:49 pm

Greetings Everyone. I read the old forum for a long time, but never joined or started a log. Reading logs and various posts on the old forum helped me after college when I didn’t know how to improve my mandarin on my own. My mandarin isn’t great, but I can read or listen to anything I want to. For background, I am a native American english speaker. I had to take a break from language studies for a few years. Recently,I have had some more free time, so I started to work on some long dormant Spanish. Mandarin is on long term maintenance right now. I mostly just watch tv shows. I would guess that I could pass the HSK 5 right now, but I would need to cram to pass the HSK 6. I don’t live in a city with a test center, so it is inconvenient to take. As for my Spanish, I would estimate that it is around the A1 level. Finally, I constantly have to fight language wanderlust. My future goal languages are : French, German, Cantonese, Korean, and Japanese.
2 x

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:41 am

Hi Not Daryl.

Not Daryl wrote: My future goal languages are : French, German, Cantonese, Korean, and Japanese.

In that order?
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Not Daryl
Languages: English(N), Mandarin(too much time),Spanish(A1)

Postby Not Daryl » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:32 pm

SGP wrote:Hi Not Daryl.

Not Daryl wrote: My future goal languages are : French, German, Cantonese, Korean, and Japanese.

In that order?

This order is for today only. Everything can get rearranged when wanderlust strikes.
2 x

WildGinger10
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2 - active study), Russian (A1 - dabbling), French (A2ish - hibernating)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 89#p128527

Postby WildGinger10 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:19 pm

Hey everyone! Some of you have seen my few posts around so I won't go too deep here but I am a lover of languages who has struggled to learn a second one. My name is Alex, I'm American, took 5 years of French in school (I'm probably at a B1 in French but it's very rusty), started learning German because I got a job with a German company, even though it doesn't seem like I will be working with the company anymore, I am trying to tackle the language because speaking multiple languages has long been on my bucket list. I'm in the A2-B1 range in German now.

Future language goals: Get German to B2/C1 range, polish French into the B2/C1 range, then attempt Russian and Spanish. For now, that's a lot of work ahead of me so I can start thinking of more languages when I get there.
4 x

Thomas Friedrich
White Belt
Languages: German (native), English, Japanese, Esperanto, French, Mandarin, Latin

Postby Thomas Friedrich » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:48 am

Hi,
My name is Tom and I've been a silent follower of this forum since the HTLAL days.

Even though I was taught three languages during my time at school in Germany (English, French, Latin), I struggled with learning foreign languages. The enthusiasm was there, but I never got far on the road to competency.

One day while I googled the phrase "how to learn a foreign language", I discovered Prof. Arguelles on the old HTLAL forum. This discovery had a major impact on my life:

Prof. Arguelles' posts inspired me to seriously study languages and thanks to his advice I finally succeed after years of failed attempts (at Russian/Cantonese/Khmer). Following his Shadowing/Scriptorium-routine I became fluent in Japanese and this changed the path of my whole life (professionally and personally).

Exactly one week ago I decided to use the time I now have to embark on the journey of studying and mastering all the languages I still have on my long wish list (starting with Mandarin and French). A good opportunity to finally become a participating member of the forum.
8 x

Virat
Languages: English (N), French (beginner), Mandarin (Starter)

Postby Virat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:35 pm

Hi everyone,
I have been lurking on this forum for a little while now giving me motivation, and ideas on how I can learn languages. I am currently self studying French (and I am sure other languages in time) with the main aim of reading past and present literature in he native language, and watching the odd Netflix program. As for speaking and writing I will work on them, but it's not as important for me at this time.
5 x

glassbow
Languages: Hindi(N), English (B2)

Postby glassbow » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:02 pm

Hello, this is Glassbow. We provide bilingual books in vast variety of language such as English-russian, English-spanish, English-French etc. Glad to be a part of this forum.

Feel free to check out www.glassbow.com we have some amazing blogs on how to learn a new language and other free learning resources.

Lastly I would like to ask if anyone know how to contact a moderator.
Thanks, have a great day.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:08 am

We don't normally allow self-promotion without contacting a moderator first. However, I looked at your site and it seems legitimate. You can contact the administrator / moderation team by clicking the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Iceberg
White Belt
Languages: Japanese, Portuguese(N)
English, Español, 中文, 한국어, русский язык, Deutsch.
Studying: Français, հայերեն, ქართული, Bahasa Melayu, монгол хэл
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9807

Postby Iceberg » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:15 am

Hello! I’ve been reading this forum since 2015 (and before that, the HTLAL forum since 2005), and I decided it’s time to become more active on here and make a language log as well.

I tried to log in recently and I realized I have actually lost my Language Learner's account I signed up in 2015. I can't remember which e-mail I used. :D :lol: :o . I didn't bother to ask rdearman, because I have been a lurker anyway.

I have met some some language enthusiasts such as Richard Simcott, Alex Rawlings etc before and hopefully I will continue meeting other enthusiasts. Who knows I might see some of you in any gatherings in the future?
8 x
中文: 06 / 15 한국어: 10 / 30 Deutsch: 28 / 100 Русский: 03 / 10 Français: 01 / 100 Italiano: 01 / 100հայերեն: 01 / 100ქართული: 01 / 100Melayu: 01 / 100монгол хэл: 01 / 100

Return to “General Language Discussion”