Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
Jamexu
Languages: english

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby Jamexu » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:10 am

Hi everyone!
I’m a native American English speaker and I’ve been studying Japanese for about a year.
Thx a lot ;)
Last edited by Jamexu on Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

whux
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Spanish (A2)

Postby whux » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:32 pm

Hello, everyone.

I'm whux, late 20's, English native speaker living in Germany. I studied German as my major at university and have been living here for over 7 years. I would consider myself to be at a C1 level.
Since August 2021, I have been learning Spanish. I have online 1:1 class once a week and have also been studying in my free time. My largest struggle is speaking and reading which are areas that I am hoping to improve. I have not taken a test, but I would guess my Spanish level to be at about A2, maybe B1 on a good day :D

I hope to learn and maybe, if I'm lucky, spread some of my knowledge as well!
5 x

emcuttsy
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Italian (beginner), Spanish (beginner)

Postby emcuttsy » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:49 pm

Hey there! I'm Elise. I'm a US American living in Austria. I'm a native English speaker (US), C1 in German, and around A2 in Italian and Spanish.

Re: languages, I have one of those "high school language classes didn't help, but then I learned to self-study" stories. I was a monoglot until stumbling into learning German super chaotically almost exclusively through comprehensible input a few years ago. I'm now working on refining my German and picking up Italian. I'm a big believer in the power of comprehensible input and spend a lot of time reading (and now blogging) about it. I'm a science journalist so I enjoy digging around in research journals.

Happy to be here!
8 x

Ruprecht
Languages: English (N), German (once A2, now fading…), French (beginner), Spanish (beginner)

Postby Ruprecht » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:10 pm

American, so monolingual English, and college-level German is fading… Learned it pre-internet, so there weren’t many opportunities for comprehensible input and almost no opportunities for output. Basic skills in latin which have faded even more, and a little exposure to ancient greek with, unfortunately, the Erasmian pronunciation method. That made sense to me at the time but I now think Erasmian is a terrible idea. Wish we had learned modern greek pronunciation, then at least I would still have something to show for the time I spent on that, years ago.

Current plan is to learn French and Spanish, which I should have started with in the beginning. As an American, these are the languages I might actually get to use in real life occasionally. If I can find the time to make progress with those, the pipe dream would be to learn Mandarin next.

Hard to shake the desire to brush up on my German, since I was actually pretty decent with grammar and reading, but I keep reminding myself it just isn’t a practical choice for my situation.
2 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:02 pm

Ruprecht wrote:Hard to shake the desire to brush up on my German, since I was actually pretty decent with grammar and reading, but I keep reminding myself it just isn’t a practical choice for my situation.

whilst I could see that Spanish would be most useful (depending upon where you live more or less), would French really be more useful generally than German? German is a big language and the most dominant in the EU after English. Lots of online content and it also exists in the US.
If you had a reasonable level it should be easier to reignite it as opposed to building up French from the bottom.
1 x

Ruprecht
Languages: English (N), German (once A2, now fading…), French (beginner), Spanish (beginner)

Postby Ruprecht » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:35 pm

Certainly Spanish would be the most useful for me as an American. Much more useful than any other language, of course. I'm sort of a "false beginner" now at Spanish, due to some limited effort off and on over the years. I'm partly hoping French will get me excited about learning again. We have a trip coming up next year where I could probably get by without knowing any French, but it would a lot more fun for me if I could at least have rudimentary conversations. So I'm currently on a crash course to at least learn the basics.

When I think about where I might travel in the near future, French and Spanish seem the best bets. Also, when I flipped down my car's sun visor this morning, I noticed it had three languages printed on it -- English, French, Spanish.

So, sadly, I don't think my prior German learning has done much for me other than just teach me how to learn.
0 x

boracasli98
Languages: Türkçe (N), English (B2), Ελληνικά (A2-B1), Magyar (beginner), Română (beginner), Polski (beginner)

Postby boracasli98 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:37 pm

Hello everyone! I'm Bora from Turkey.

I'm 24 years old and I'm a native speaker of Turkish. I've previously studied Greek and Persian at the Istanbul University. I'm currently learning Hungarian and Romanian and I hope I will reach at least A2 in both.

Nice to meet you all!
5 x

CaroleR
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Québécois French (low intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18588

Postby CaroleR » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:49 am

Hi everyone,
I'm Carole and I live on the west coast of Canada. I'm originally a "tête carrée," (aka anglophone) from Quebec and am finally working on improving my French. As an extreme introvert, I may not participate much, but I would like to start a log here. Fair warning, I'll be going into extreme detail and will probably bore everyone silly. :mrgreen: Thanks so much to all of you who have shared your experience. Lots of good advice here and I'm grateful.

I would like to mention that I had never considered language learning as a hobby until I found this site. It's not a hobby for me and I'll probably only ever want to learn French. Well, maybe Welsh later. But the main reason for me is that my mom had dementia and I heard someone say that language learning is good for the brain. So I'm learning more for health reasons. And fear, I guess.
4 x

Crojo
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate?), Mandarin/中文 (pre-beginner)

Postby Crojo » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:54 am

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, here; it feels a bit strange introducing myself here because I already feel like I know many of you. But here I am, out from the shadows.

I am a native English speaker learning Spanish for now. I 'started' (this time) almost two years ago.

This forum has been indispensable!

I shall start a log soon to share my language learning story, which I hope to update now and again.

Crojo
(as in capital 'C' for, well, 'C', and 'rojo' meaning red in Spanish).
3 x

newyorkeric
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Singlish (can or not? can lah!), Chinese (beginner), Italian (intermediate)

Postby newyorkeric » Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:36 am

Hi,

I used to hang around the old forum and just learned about the "new" one today so I registered. It's good to see a lot of familiar names.
7 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”