Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
Magnoliophyta
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C?), German (C1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17953

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby Magnoliophyta » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:45 pm

Hello, all: I have been reading posts on this forum for a few months now and finally decided to make an account. I'm a native speaker of American English and have lived in the US my entire life. When I started learning French back in high school, I discovered just how much I enjoy the process of learning a new language, and continuing to find ways to use my French over the years has been important to me. More recently, I began learning German (first through courses and then through independent study), which has also become a really valuable project for me. During these unusual pandemic times in the world, the regular routines and daily practice involved in my language learning efforts have helped me to structure my time and stay grounded, I think. Anyway, I'm thankful for the valuable resources and insights that I've found so far on this forum, and I'll look forward to continuing to read along.
9 x

TabascoMarmite
Languages: Speak English, Studying Spanish

Postby TabascoMarmite » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:07 am

Hey,

I’m Jeff, pues I am studying Spanish and also teach English. Not sure what else to tell you … ummm I self-study and am trying to spend the next 12 months really polishing up on my mexican Spanish.

All the best to all of you
6 x

lingohot
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (certified C1), French (certified C1), Spanish (reading intermediate, speaking/writing/listening beginner)

Postby lingohot » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:36 am

Severine wrote:I just turned 40 a couple of weeks ago, and I recently started learning Chinese. It's not too late! [...] And certain activities -- such as exercise, social interactions, and learning new things -- support the brain's neuroplasticity and overall health. So I would argue that, not only are you not too old to learn Chinese, but in fact learning Chinese would be good for you and your brain 8-)

Thanks for your account, sounds good, even though it sounds as if 40 was super old and we had to start preventing dementia :lol: I'm just really fascinated by Chinese culture and language. Maybe I'll just do it little by little, baby steps to mastery, so to speak. My biggest problem is a constant lack of time, as for anybody who's working full time, I guess.
0 x

SpanishInput
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), Mandarin (HSK 5)

Postby SpanishInput » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:14 pm

Hi, everyone!
I'm Miguel and I've been learning Mandarin on and off for years. I'm also interested in language acquisition/learning in general, particularly in how English speakers acquire/learn my native language, Spanish. I've read a lot of the good content in this forum, so I thought maybe it's time to stop being just a lurker and say hi.
9 x

LanguageThrone
Languages: I speak Fluently in Spanish, French, German and Mandarin.

Postby LanguageThrone » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:06 pm

Hello my name is Jasmine. I love to learn new languages. I live in Spain and speak fluently in Spanish, French, German and Mandarin. I have traveled all over the World. Traveling is another love that I have. I hope to meet some new people on here :)
Thank you :)
10 x

Blaze_Winterborne
Languages: English (N), German (B2, rusty), Mandarin (B2, rusty), French (A2), Czech (A1), Japanese (A1), Dutch (beginner), Spanish (beginner),

Postby Blaze_Winterborne » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:28 pm

Hi, I used to be a member on this forum but it's been ages since I've been here and I can't remember my password. I also can't remember the user/email combo that I used, which means I can't reset my password either (not even sure if it's an email I still use, lol), so I've had to create a new account. I hope that's OK?
4 x

Ravi5768
Languages: Hindi (N), English , Portuguese (Beginner)

Postby Ravi5768 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:47 am

Hello,
I'm Ravi and I just got into learning languages. Currently I can speak English and Hindi and am trying to learn Portuguese.
6 x

mthornt1
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B2), French (B1)

Postby mthornt1 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:02 am

Hello,

My name is Michael, I'm from the US but currently living in the Toronto, Canada area. I'm currently working on both Spanish (trying to break through to C1 and get past the dreaded "intermediate plateau") and moving to Montreal in the coming year to continue improving my French skills. Hoping to learn some new study techniques, and meet native Spanish and French speakers for a language exchange. Very nice to meet everyone! :D

Cheers
6 x

zgriptsuroica
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (Advanced, especially reading), Spanish (Advanced), Brazilian Portuguese (Advanced), Japanese (beginner), Icelandic (just starting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17372

Postby zgriptsuroica » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:47 am

Hello all. I'm from New York, and aside from my native English, I speak Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese decently well, along with a shaky conversational French. I can read much better than I speak, though hopefully that will be changing between joining a French book club and my Francophone co-workers suddenly coming out of the woodwork. I've currently got Japanese on hold while I re-assess what I want to do with it, but I'm trying to read some manga and stuff to keep it from completely falling apart.

My main focus at the moment is Icelandic, which I started about 6 weeks ago. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far, and hoping to maybe find more resources and/or learners to bounce ideas off of, as well as that little bit of motivation to stick it out you need sometimes. I keep telling myself I'm going to loop back to really polish up my French production skills and Japanese overall, but I keep getting struck by new, shiny languages. My "To learn one day, if I have infinite time" list is about a mile long, but I think towards the top are probably Finnish, Irish, Basque, Russian and Català. Clearly, I have some sort of issue with picking the "easy" ones. :lol: If you ask in a week, I'm sure it'll be slightly different when I've been down another Wiki rabbit hole.
8 x

ShivChan
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17383

Postby ShivChan » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:25 am

Hello! my name is Siobhán and I am from Australia. I have dabbled in a couple of languages briefly in the past but am now focusing on Japanese. In the future, I will perhaps explore both French and German, but for now my goal is to +1 to my English. I've taken many language classes in the past, however, I find that my lazy comprehensible input approach is the most fun. I look forward to learning from everyone here. :)
5 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”