Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
thehup_but
Languages: English

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby thehup_but » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:28 pm

Hi,

I just joined the forum, learning French because I have a few French relatives and it's something I've always wanted to learn. Came here for advice & tips and because I don't know anyone else who's learning a foreign language.

Looking forward to chatting to people here!
5 x

MisterVimes
White Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English, German, Hebrew
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17635

Postby MisterVimes » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:40 pm

Hi all, I joined the forum years ago but never really posted anything... so better late than never, right?

I'm PK, I'm from the Netherlands, and despite the username I'm not actually a mister. I speak Dutch, English and German and am currently working on Hebrew. Interests besides languages include Irish traditional music, Discworld, linguistics, and more recently web design (still very much a noob). Nice to meet you all!
9 x

språker
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (C1), German (B2), French (A2), Lithuanian (B1 -- studying)

Postby språker » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:30 pm

Hi! I have been reading this forum (and even HTLAL before) from time to time, but haven’t registered until now. I am probably too interested in the topics on language learning for my own best, as I often found myself putting more time reading threads on the forum, and watching videos about language learning on Youtube, than studying my target languages. Starting with the most current:

Lithuanian: The language that I am currently studying, and have been at since 2014. I started out with classes the first year, and have been practising since on my own. I live in Lithuania now and quite often get the possibility to use the language in restaurants, with governments and such. Still, people I talk with have to adapt, and I have trouble following native speech and material. Inspired by the input hypothesis, I have put all my study time for listening to audio books the last part the year, and am slowly seeing some progress of my level.

French: I was studying it on my own, as well as taking evening classes, for about 10 years from 2003 to 2014, whereafter I put it on a compete hold almost, when I moved to Lithuania and started to study Lithuanian instead. Even so, it seems I’ve kept some of the listening and reading comprehension that I acquired, maybe because I was at it for a quite a while. Maybe it only seems easier because it is closer to my germanic languages than Lithuanian. I hope I’ll be inspired to continue when I reach a more solid level of Lithuanian.

German: I learned six years in school, and then I managed to do an Erasmus semester in Germany, taking all subjects in German, in 1995. I haven’t studied the language much after that, but it seems it just keeps with me, without too much effort, it is just there.

English is the language I use the most, and Swedish is my mother tongue, that I have also been teaching to L2 learners for a couple of years.

Only the future can tell if I’ll start with another language. I’d like to get both Lithuanian and French to a level similar to my German first, unless something dramatically changes in life.

See you all in the threads!
12 x

skedaddlekopi
Languages: English (N), Indonesian, Arabic, Latin, French

Postby skedaddlekopi » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:45 am

Hello, everyone! I've just joined the forum after browsing here during the last few months. I am a native speaker of English and have been studying Indonesian for the past three years. In the meantime I have also been studying Latin and Arabic and have recently decided to revive my French studies after a ~20 year gap.
8 x

ThreeDayMonk
Languages: Speak: English, German, French, Russian
Understand: Spanish, Italian, Mandarin Chinese

Postby ThreeDayMonk » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:36 pm

Hi everyone. I'm Jack, I was on this forum and HTLAL before it years ago, but for various reasons can't access my old user account anymore. I grew up with English and Welsh at home, learning German, French, Italian, Russian and Mandarin to various degrees later on. I work with German, French, Italian and Russian almost every day, so they get a lot of use. I'm here mostly to document my Japanese, which I've been learning for far too long with comparatively little progress due to lack of focus. Looking forward to changing that though, and interacting with some of the names I remember from being here years ago. Cheers.
11 x

Khayyam
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (strong receptive, weak active), Persian (novice), American sign language (novice)

Postby Khayyam » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:50 am

Hi, I'm Khayyam, and I'm a German addict. (Yes, I know, weird that I chose the name of a Persian poet when German is my thing, but Khayyam's my favorite writer overall, so there.) I'm very lopsided; I can read German at a high school level and usually I can at least get the gist when I hear it spoken, but I can't write or speak it for beans. I know it's normal for receiving to be easier than sending, but I'm an extraordinary case; you'd think someone who's read all the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings books in German would have at least mastered third-grade grammar, but nein, das habe ich nicht, meinenes gutenes Herrenesens.

Tut mir mucho schrecklich leid; I know I probably just gave you a brain injury if you're fluent in German. But dang it, German grammar injures MY brain! I feel like I'm madly in love with a woman who takes pleasure in being as arbitrary as possible.

Somewhere down the line, I'm going to want to learn a language that's as different from German as possible just to round things out. I'm exploring the possibilities in a slow and lazy way as I continue to devour as many novels in German as I can. Someone come smack me and make me focus on my German grammar textbook instead of just reading for pleasure all the time, because I obviously can't do it by myself!
8 x

dEhiN
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N); French (B2); Spanish / Brazilian Portuguese (A1-A2); Tamil (A1); Albanian / Tagalog / Maori (A0 - some words)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 21&t=17669

Postby dEhiN » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:51 pm

My name is David and although I created this account in 2016, I'm only now checking things out. I have a friend on here who's gotten me interested in the 365 Day Challenge which I hope to participate in this year. I'm a tech and language nerd though I frequently find the two interests compete with each other.

I've spent some time dabbling in a lot of different languages but have consistently worked on French, (Latin American) Spanish, (Brazilian) Portuguese, and (Sri Lankan) Tamil along with some recurrent dabbling in Swedish. I also fancy myself an amateur linguist and have had this interest since I was a teenager. My main language journey started in 2011 but for the past 3-4 years I've been focused on other things. However, I'd like to devote more time to pursuing my language interests, including progressing in the 4 I listed already.
11 x

ourrafl
Languages: Mandarin (N), Wu-Shanghainese (N), English (intermediate), Japanese (N1), Korean (beginner), Spanish (beginner)

Postby ourrafl » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:54 pm

Hi, I'm Jason. Like many people born in China, I grow up in an environment interlaced by my mother tongue, Shanghainese or Wu Language, and the official language, Mandarin. I studied Japanese as my major in college and I use it from time to time to keep it, basically watching anime or drama though. I've started learning Korean and Spanish, but lack the motivation to push myself to a higher level after having acquired the grammar structure of the two languages. And I also have a little dabbling on Old Chinese and Middle Chinese.

My hobbies besides languages include soccer (watching), working out (especially pull-up:), linguistics, random forays to different places, etc.

I found this forum occasionally and the discussions here really interest me. So lucky and happy to be here~
11 x

Jastreb
Languages: Finnish (N), English (C1), Esperanto (B2), Swedish (B1), Russian (A1-A2)

Postby Jastreb » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:57 pm

Hi, you can call me Jastreb (with /j/). I am a student from Finland and my native language is Finnish. I have been interested in languages from pretty young age. At school I learned English and now I use it actively. Swedish is the other mandatory foreign language in Finland so I studied that too. I never had much interest in it and my skills have largely degraded with the lack of use, but recently I have been trying to pick it up again. I have also been self-studying Russian on and off for years, but with limited success so far. Last year I started learning Esperanto since some of my family members are interested in it and also because of my interest in constructed languages.

Now I feel my skill level in Esperanto is high enough so I'm going to turn back to Russian and Swedish. I think my time with Esperanto has taught me a lot about what learning techniques work best for me and I'm hoping to apply these lessons to my other languages. Looking into more distant future, eventually I would like to learn Mandarin and at least some Finnish Sign Language.

Other things I like besides languages include science, history, animals, sci-fi and fantasy books, and general nerdiness.
14 x

stratophile
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), Russian (beginner), French (lapsed intermediate)

Postby stratophile » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:11 pm

Hi everyone,

I’ve been a lurker on the forums here now for a long time (and previously was a member and very occasional poster on HTLAL). I always enjoy the discussions and I’ve certainly learned a lot over the years – my thanks to you all!

I’m currently actively working on my Spanish while trying to maintain my Russian. English is my native language and I learned French way back in high school / university. Due to extensive business travel over the decades I know a smattering of about a dozen other languages, but mostly just to a rudimentary level (courtesies and tourist-level fluency).

I’ve always had a very strong interest in the process and techniques of language learning and of linguistics in general. It’s a fascinating and endlessly intriguing subject on top of the joy I get from the languages themselves.

I'm happy to be here on the forums and am extremely grateful to the admins / moderators for making the site possible. It's such a fantastic resource for language learners!
8 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”