tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby tarvos » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:28 pm

And my native language is Geek!
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:20 pm

Hello, I'm Sam. I've been learning Koine Greek for a few years, and have reached a level where I can read or listen with reasonable comfort to easier texts. I'm now branching out into reading Attic, which I am enjoying a lot.

I've also recently started learning Farsi, almost from scratch. Having learned a bit about what not to do from Greek, I've been lurking here and in similar places to do a bit better this time around

I have a bit Biblical Hebrew and French on the back burner, neither of which are very good, and am hoping to keep myself from doing too much on them until I reach a B1 or thereabouts in Farsi, which I'd be very happy with.

I work a busy job and have two young kids, so time is short!

Sam
4 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

Ozzymandias
Languages: Turkish

Postby Ozzymandias » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:19 pm

Hello! I am Ozzy from Turkey. I want to improve my English via this forum. I have long term human resources experience area. I can answer your Turkish questions if you want. I hope I learn in polite and friendly environment

PS: I live in London.
2 x

James.A.
White Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C1), French (C1), Russian (A2), Spanish (intermediate), Swedish (beginner), German (beginner-intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=14273

Postby James.A. » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:26 am

Hello everybody! I joined the forum three days ago, but I have just now noticed this thread!

So, my name is James and I am from Greece. My journey with languages started with English, which I was taught when I was a child. After then, when I was in uni I started learning Russian on my own and after that (about 1,5 years ago) French. My goal now is to better my French and to remember again my Russian which unfortunately I haven't touched for years. See you all!
3 x
Super Challenge: Spanish
9000 minutes (films/audiobooks) : 9000 / 9000 (100/100)
5000 pages (books) : 5000 / 5000 (100/100)

jonathanrace
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (A2), Mandarin (A1)

Postby jonathanrace » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:48 pm

Hey everyone! I'm an English teacher (native) and I'm studying Japanese and Mandarin. Thank you for having me :)
2 x
Level up your English!

Cheburashka
Languages: English(A2) Greek(Native) Russian(A1)

Postby Cheburashka » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:13 am

Hi everybody!My name is Nick.I am Greek and I learn English and Russian.I am here to improve my skills in those languages.I 'll do my best to help you with Greek language if you have any difficulties.I am also aware some good non-profit websites to practice your skills in Russian. :D My home is near the mountain that seperates the capital of Greece and the town i live.I work as a shepherd with my fother.That's all about me. :D
4 x

EthanH
White Belt
Languages: Languages: English (N), Spanish (B2), German (Beginner[current]), Russian (Postponed till I'm B1-B2 in German)

Postby EthanH » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:46 am

Hello,

My name is Ethan and I'm a native English speaker and can speak some Spanish. If any of you have questions on English you can PM and I can attempt to answer them! :D

Thanks,
Ethan
2 x
“The English language was carefully, carefully cobbled together by three blind dudes and a German dictionary,” - Dave Kellett

mikefod
Languages: English (N), Italian (A2), Portuguese (beginner), German (rusty but reviving), French (just rusty).
Occasionally dabble in Welsh, Modern Greek, Gaelic, Croatian.

Postby mikefod » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:41 am

Hi Everybody,

I'm Mike. I am retired and I work as an occasional volunteer for a holiday company, which leads to me visiting Europe a few times a year. I also travel privately quite a bit in Europe for leisure. Much of my work is in Italy, as I started learning Italian nearly three years ago, but I have also been called on to work in Portugal, Cyprus and Germany. I try to learn a bit of the local language, enough to be able to discuss the daily itinerary with the coach drivers (although I did find Greek a challenge when I was visiting Cyprus!). Thing is that language learning started off as a way of getting free holidays (kind of) but now I see the work as a way of practicing language.
5 x

PurpleMinutes
Languages: English (N), French (Beginner)

Postby PurpleMinutes » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:33 pm

Bonjour, my name is William and it's about time that I get serious about learning French.

I am Canadian and I currently live outside of Toronto, Ontario. Living in the suburbs of Toronto, which is almost entirely English speaking (not including the many other languages people speak - I live in a very diverse neighbourhood), my exposure to French speakers is fairly limited. I was taught French throughout my days in the public school system but have managed to retain nearly zero French speaking ability.

Over the years I have made several very sad attempts to learn French without success.

Some of the obstacles that I will most certainly cause me the most difficulty to overcome are the following.
  1. The idea of embarrassing myself horrifies me. Having my first conversation with a French speaker will be a massive achievement and will be a make it or break it moment for me. The idea of the initial conversation is by far the number one reason that I have not been even remotely successful at learning a new language in the past.
  2. As you can tell from my first barrier, my self-confidence is not the greatest . Often, I have given up on myself prior to getting even the basic understanding of the language.
Now for the reasons that I want to learn French.
  1. For my children. My kids are/or will be attending French schools. My older son is having a great time and I want to give them the best chance possible at maintaining a solid grasp of both English and French throughout their lives. It is my understanding that language learning is a use it or lose it situation. If I can do only one thing in this respect for my kids is that I would like to provide them an opportunity to speak French all day and every day if they wish, at home and in school.
  2. Career opportunities. I have been stuck in an OK job for the past 11 years. I have come across many alternate career options that I have been interested in but have been ineligible to apply due to my lack of French language skills.
  3. I want to be able to speak another language. I have always enjoyed the way French sounds and I want to be able to speak it.

Currently, I am trying to figure out which is the best method for me to learn effectively. There are so many options in terms of available programs that promise everything under the sun that I am kind of lost. I am looking forward to browsing the forum to see what methods work for you all.

Thanks,

William
3 x

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:35 am

Hi there, I am SGP (SomewhatGeekyPolyglot).
Some of you already know me because of the longer introduction in my main language log.
Wasn't aware of this thread up to now, so maybe it is time for a second introduction. ;)

I simply am someone with a passion for languages. Some of them I learn (this is about my language list), and others of them I simply familiarize myself with, without actively even trying to learn them.

There are two reasons why I am here in this forum:
The first is about language topics. Sometimes posting in the log, sometimes elsewhere, and at times also asking questions. But always trying to give back more than what I take. ;)

Second reason: practicing some social abilities of mine. Of course not everything can be practiced on the Internet, but this only is something additional to the other part of real life.

(For those of you who would be curious about this wording: I selected it because any authentical conversation done by anyone on the Internet is very IRL/In Real Life to me, not making the distinction that many others make).
2 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Return to “General Language Discussion”