Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
NongfuSpring97
Languages: English (N) | German | Chinese

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby NongfuSpring97 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:02 pm

Hello, I am a native English speaker from the US. As my username suggests, I live in China -- I am named after 农夫山泉, a popular brand of bottled water in China. I would say I am intermediate level in Chinese. I also previously lived in Germany and am advanced/fluent in German. Very happy to meet everyone.
6 x

Kahvipuu
Languages: Finnish (N), German (C1), English (B2), Swedish (B2), Russian (A2), Chinese (Beginner), French (Beginner)

Postby Kahvipuu » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:25 pm

Hi!

I'm a language enthusiast from Finland. This autumn I'm going to start studying my native language Finnish in the university, and I'm planning to take Estonian as a secondary subject – that means soon I'll begin studying Estonian.
German language is close to my heart as I've been learning it at school for 9 years. I've also learned Swedish, Russian and (of course) English at school. I have recently begun self-studying Old Norse and Japanese.

I'm looking forward to have nice discussions here! :D
12 x

Peej
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (False Beginner)

Postby Peej » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:36 pm

Long time lurker, finally signed up. I won't bore you all with going on about myself for a second time, as it's all in my log if you fancy a look :lol:

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15176
3 x

Myriam
Languages: French

Postby Myriam » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:10 am

Hello my name is Myriam.
I am a French teacher.
I would like to improve my english.

I have my own channel on details removed by Bluepaint. See self-promotion policy.
3 x

kitchmix
Languages: English (N) - Mandarin Chinese (N, B2) - German (B1~B2) - French (A2~B1) - Spanish (A1) - Tok Pisin (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15279

Postby kitchmix » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:24 am

Hey y'all!

I'm kitchmix and I'm 15 years old. I live in the US, I speak English (N) and Mandarin (N, but probably around a B2 level fluency), and I've been learning German (at least B1, not far from B2), French (roughly A2~B1 if I had to say), Spanish (~A1) and Tok Pisin (Beginner).

Only German and Tok Pisin though do I study daily atm though.

I'm looking forward in participating in some discussions here! :D
4 x
German: 6 / 10
French: 3 / 10
Spanish: 1 / 10
Tok Pisin: 1 / 10

naim
Languages: Arabic, English, Chinese

Postby naim » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:13 am

naim wrote:Hi,
My name is Naim. I'm from Lebanon. I'm working on an app to _____

I'm blanking on what to call it or how to describe it yet. But I want to force myself to start writing, PUBLICLY.

Well, you took your time, didn't you. Let's try this again.

Hello. I'm Naim. I'm from Lebanon. I've been obsessed with t... wait, I think I don't really need to get into that here. We're the same sort of nutjobs.
Anyway, decided to actually work on my obsessions instead of trying to fix them.
3 x

deekin
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (DELE B2), French (beginner, started Oct 2023)

Postby deekin » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:33 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking here for a little while but finally decided to register. I started studying Spanish in April of this year to pursue my dream of working with foreign languages (possibly in interpretation, we'll see where this goes). In the past, I've studied French and Russian, but they always ended up on the back burner and I never made significant progress in either. Thank you all for sharing so much experience and knowledge, this place is a wonderful resource and a great source of encouragement.
4 x

Migla
White Belt
Languages: English (C), Russian (C), Chinese (B), German (A), plus bits and pieces of a few other languages.

Postby Migla » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:15 pm

Hi!

Just now going through old discussion threads (still loads to explore!) and finding great resources - different sites, apps and so on. A big thank you goes to everyone sharing their finds and experiences!
4 x

kabaka
Languages: English (N) Luganda (beginner)

Postby kabaka » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:36 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm John and I'm a native English speaker slowly learning Luganda, a local language spoken in Uganda. After Christmas I started working through the Foreign Services Institute Luganda Basic Course and I am on lesson 68. I went through the Peace Corps Self Instructors manual before that but most of that is forgotten now. I found Gabriel Wyner's book useful and since reading it started making flash cards on Anki.

There isn't a lot out there for Luganda learners apart from John Anglin's site (learnluganda.com) and good material made by Leah Sternefeld and Francis Nickshere. Oh I should've mentioned that being married to a Ugandan is helpful, even though she is not a native Luganda speaker (she is from Bukiga).

Looking forward to sharing ideas and learning from you.

John
Last edited by kabaka on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
Mbalamusizza nnyo,

John

sanjiu27
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (N) | English (prod. Intermediate) | Russian (Beginner).

Postby sanjiu27 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:05 pm

Hello, everybody!

I'm a twenty-something from Spain who is currently studying English and French (Basque again soon, too), but is also extremely interested in Russian and, in fact, a few other languages such as Albanian and Portuguese. As many of you, I've got a passion for languages and both world history and world literature.

I've been visiting this forum from time to time, but it is only recently that I've decided to sign up and participate - simply because I think that here there's great community. I hope to make friends and share experiences together :)
Last edited by sanjiu27 on Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
9 x
Corrections are welcome.

Russian - Full Challenge, 2020-21
: Read 100 books: 0 / 100
: Watch 100 films: 0 / 100

Return to “General Language Discussion”