Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
Nucmedice
Languages: Ukrainian (N), German (N), Russian (N), French (C2), English (C2), Spanish (C1), Italian (C1), Polish (B2), MSA (B1), Levantine Arabic (B1), Egyptian Arabic (A2), Turkish (beginner), Azeri (beginner), Serbian (beginner)

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby Nucmedice » Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:30 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm Oleksiy and I'm currently trying to find ways to practice my Arabic, Polish and Serbian more often as well as learn Turkish, Azerbaijani and Portuguese from the beginning. Hopefully, this place will help me meet a few likewise avid language enthusiasts :D !

Kindest regards,

Oleksiy
3 x

Lila
Languages: Speak Greek, English, Italian

Postby Lila » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:05 am

Hi everybody! My name is Lila and I'm a non native English language tutor working at an online tutoring company. Learning a language nowadays has become a powerful tool for reaching one's goals.And that's the reason why so many people decide to take up a foreign language and especially English. First of all you need to set your learning goals before starting. Why do you want to learn a new language? How many hours a day can you devote yourself to learning? What way should I choose to learn quickly? Do I have to study on my own ? To listen to video talks and movies without subtitles?To read grammar books and articles? To hire an experienced teacher?Or maybe all of these? I'm waiting for your answers. :( ;)
2 x

apok
Languages: Fluent: Rioplatense Spanish (N), English (Bilingual)
Studying: German (B2), Italian (B2)
Planned: Ukrainian, Irish, Romanian

Postby apok » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:03 pm

Hi! My name is Alex and I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina where we speak Rioplatense Spanish.
It's basically Spanish but we use "vos" instead of "tu" and we have a lot of italian loan words and expressions because of our ancestry, also the way we speak sounds a lot like the south of Italy.

I'm currently 32 and I'd like to speak (at least at a intermediate level) 10 languages by the time I'm 40.
I've learned English since I was 6 so I'm basically bilingual at this point.

I'm currently learning German (B2 so far). I've mastered most of the grammatical structures, but I'm lacking vocabulary though I'm not shy to speak which is a big plus in my head because I don't mind making mistakes. Plus whenever I use a Latin based word I apparently sound sophisticated (?

I'm also currently learning Italian (B2 as well though it took me considerably less time). Lots of positive transfers from Spanish so I've learned basically all of the conjugations from every tense. I'm still in the process of learning and incorporating the "ne" and vocabulary also since there are lots and lots of false friends there.

Thanks for having me!
Alex
4 x

Shaun Miguel
Languages: English (N), Deutsch (C1), Español (B2), (A2) العربية

Postby Shaun Miguel » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:22 pm

Hello everyone, grüß euch, buenas tardes, wa marhaban!

My name is Shaun. I live in Ocala, Florida and I'm originally from the Greater Providence Area in Rhode Island.

I love learning about everything related to language and culture. Teaching languages is also a passion of mine. I have a bachelor's degree in Foreign Languages along with a TESOL Certification. I work as an ESL Teacher and plan to go back to school for masters in German as a Foreign Language and later English as a Second Language.

I'm working on becoming a dual citizen with Portugal through my adopted parent's lineage. With that state universities in Germany will be practically free. :D I'd like to meet others with a passion for language learning and international communication.

Thanks for reading this opening post!

Best regards,
Shaun Miguel
2 x

bobbywil
Languages: English, Hindi, Japanese

Postby bobbywil » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:20 am

Hi Everyone.
My name is David Wilson. Currently, I am trying to learn Japanese and Joined here to get some good ways to learn and source materials. Thanks for having me here
4 x

joananorton
Languages: English b2

Postby joananorton » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:06 pm

Hi! I'm Joana! Nice to be a part of this community!
4 x

pomme-manzana
Languages: French (B2)

Postby pomme-manzana » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:41 pm

Hello! I'm from Argentina and I'm learning Italian
2 x

L, Simon
White Belt
Languages: *Dialectal variants ignored*
Native: Chinese.
Advanced: English, Japanese.
Beginner: French, German, Korean.
On the way: Russian, Arabic, Tibetan, (probably) Hungarian, (also probably) Turkish.
*May dabble in other languages unregularly*
Researches & Studies: Dia- and synchronic linguistics(, hence the multiple-language-learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19911

Postby L, Simon » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:18 am

Hello, everyone!

My name is Simon, and it is my actual given name, being born and raised in Mainland China.

I mainly study Chinese language history, and linguistic materials in Japanese and Korean are also needed.
I learnt Japanese fast because of its logo-syllabic writing system and rather straight forward grammar. Its ways of expression also feel more familiar to me.
Still struggling with Korean, since it stopped using hanja in most circumstances, and has gradually replaced a lot of Sino-Korean vocabulary.

I am also learning French and German, and I hope English can be of help in some way.
French seems more easier to me, but it sounds rather particular.
I am really having trouble reading German phrases with auxiliary verb in the front while the participle at the end, or predicate verb with a tail-hanging prefix.
I wonder if treating German as verb-final (like Japanese and Korean) would help in some extend.

History of the languages are also of great interest to me.

I would also like to share about my native language, Chinese, which I haven't met many learners before. There are also a lot of misinformation about the language that I would like to clarify for anyone who is interested.

Sadly, I wouldn't have many chances to use the languages for traveling. Hopefully I can meet more friends here to share the fun of learning and talking in different languages.

Yours truly,
Simon
5 x

Bookshrine
Languages: Latin (advanced), Ancient Chinese (intermediate)

Postby Bookshrine » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:00 am

Hello, I am Bookshrine, as my house is a shrine of books, and I will master Latin and Ancient Chinese, whatever obstacles get in my way.
2 x

siberiano
White Belt
Languages: Ru (N) EN (C2) IT (C2) ES (C1) PT (C1) DE (B2) SR (B) KZ (A1)

Postby siberiano » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:53 am

Hi,
I used to be on HTLAL forum, but didn't come for years, and found out that you'all here. I'm from Russia, living in Kazakhstan, vainly trying to get my German to C level, and being stunned with the complexity of Kazakh language. (At first attempt at Kazakh, it became obvious that we've all been free-riding the Indo-Europeanship of our languages, where the grammar is basically the same. :D )
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”