Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
wheresmycookie
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Adv), Mandarin (HSK2)

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby wheresmycookie » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:22 pm

drax wrote:Hi, I'm John,

I'm wondering if anyone would be so kind as to help me?

I have a friend in Sarawak who sends me an SMS about once a month, but sometimes they forget that [unfortunately :-( ] my only language is English, and their last SMS is a mix of English, Bahasa (Sarawakian version I think), and possibly Bidayuh.

I don't want to appear rude by asking them to resend it in English only so was wondering if anyone on this forum could tell me what their last SMS says? I only ask this once and will NOT be making a habit of it!

Their SMS says:
Since covid atik some friends stay away so kuk koz aku over exposed so budak 2x sekolah.
Bara doh ambik vaccine tapi akan ambik our flu injection coming april atik.
Bara iah mboh jarang close social n bara stay so kuk as much as possible.
Mun interact sama diripun iah pakey mask.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help, but if no one can help then thanks anyway for reading my post.

Looking forward, can anyone advise where I can buy DVD(s) with lessons in Bahasa?

Thank you kindly

John

Sounds like a good challenge. If you don't want to ask them to send in English only, you could ask them to send in Bahasa only.. then maybe Google translate would be more useful? (I imagine think the algorithm would get really confused if there are multiple languages mixed together because it's not just looking up one word at a time - it's likely using neural networks that are trained to understand more complicated sentence structures)
0 x

sliponka
Languages: Russian (N), English (C1/C1), French (B1 production, C1 comprehension)

Postby sliponka » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:14 am

Hello, I've been a regular lurker of this forum for a while now and I thought it'd be great to finally join in to take part in active discussions. A little bit about myself: I'm from Russia and Russian is my native language, and my second languages are English (C2 for perceptive, C1 for productive skills) and French (low C1 for perceptive, B1 for productive). I'm currently focusing on French, which I plan to take to a solid C2 level in a few years' time frame. I'd also like to get back to improving my English and take up another language when I'm done with actively doing French. Thank you, looking forward to talking to you guys. :)
10 x

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (intermediate), German (beginner)

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:54 pm

Hello everyone, my native languages are English and Russian and I'm learning French at the moment. I want to take the DELF B1 exam by the end of 2022. I am really looking for people who are doing the same exam, to form a study group. Thanks!
3 x

mrwarper
Orange Belt
Languages: A bunch, in various stages
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... ?TID=39905

MrWarper's homecoming

Postby mrwarper » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:13 pm

<Troy McClure's voice on>
Hi! I am MrWarper, and veterans here may remember me from such Internet fora as how-to-learn-any-language.com, or why-students-hate-my-guts.org. As much as I like to make surprise appearances and comebacks, I like even better to tip people off about my presence by getting carried away and posting before I [re-]introduce myself, and ruin any surprise ; )
<Troy McClure's voice off>

For the curious, the main reason why you haven't heard from me for the last few years is, my language learning has both gone into 'zombie mode' for my weaker languages, and become solid enough (according to my own standards) at the technique level with the stronger ones, so I didn't really feel like reading or writing much more about the subject matter -- I still don't. Oh, and LLorg notifications about thread updates, PMs, and such are broken, but you know that already. If/where other reasons could also apply, they're lagging far behind in importance, and I won't go over them. For the really curious about me, there's a link above and somewhat of a rabbit hole to go down -- feel free to explore : p

Why the comeback? As some may remember, I teach my stronger languages, and having students made me try and breath new life into a few simple programs that I started coding to help my own language studies. The problem with students is, although some do appreciate that you try and take the toil out of their work, these are only very few, far in between and always gone all too soon, and the others... well, you can imagine. So I thought I can still spend some time here in a way that is useful, and that is further working on my simple programs with the help of other forum members who might hopefully be interested.

Speaking of which, where would be the right place to start any such new threads about these applets of mine? Last time something similar was discussed (TTBOMK), I seem to recall we ended up stuck with a Development Area where nothing has happened in like two years, and I fear that might hurt their visibility. While getting back to working on my stuff alone again is certainly no problem if nobody is interested, it is equally certain that I do not need to write in the forum to do so ; )
5 x
MrWarper while HTLAL is offline.

CDR
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Portuguese (B2?), Japanese (A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18051

Postby CDR » Sat May 07, 2022 12:59 pm

Hello everyone. I've lurked around these forums for a long time. I'm Canadian, and I've been learning Portuguese for 8 years now. However, since COVID started my use of the language has withered away. When I visited in Brazil in December, I was shocked to find out how rusty my Portuguese was when I was unable to order food! I forgot the name of every single vegetable...

That being said, I don't have much interest in active study of the language at the moment, so I've decided instead to focus on consuming content in Portuguese and see what happens.

My current focus is Japanese. I was studying Japanese way back in 2014 before I quit to start learning Portuguese. I picked my Japanese studies back up recently, in January of this year, and it was going well until mid-March. My studies are in sleep mode until June, as I am now trying to spend most of my personal time doing some training to improve my career. My (probably unrealistic) goal is to be able to pass the N2 before Spring of 2024, as I intend to visit Japan in 2024.

This is partly why having to take this long of a "break" to focus on things that make me money is somewhat tragic. As the amount of time I need to put into studying is enormous. Before stopping I was getting in at least 3 hours of study a day, but given the task is to pass the N2, I will probably need to put more hours then that.

Just ignore the fact that by typing this post up, I am neither studying Japanese, nor the thing I need to complete my training by the end of May so I can get back to Japanese in June :lol: :D :lol: :mrgreen:
9 x

MaggieMae
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2), Swiss German (depends on the day), Swedish (A1), Mandarin (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=18071

Postby MaggieMae » Thu May 12, 2022 11:35 am

Hello!

I'm Maggie, a native US English speaker who now lives in Switzerland. As such, I've been learning Standard High German for about a year and a half now, while being surrounded by the local dialect, which is very dissimilar to High German, unfortunately for me. I just finished intensive C1 courses in February, failed the exam (by only 2 stinking points!) and was graciously allowed to continue on in C2 studies and focus on taking that exam in the future instead of being forced to retake it all over again.

Unfortunately, since I'm an elementary (primary grades) teacher by trade, who holds a degree from outside the EU, I need a C2 German language certificate before I can even apply for degree recognition. I found this forum looking for a support group where I can talk to other people struggling through some of the same issues as me. C2 level in any language isn't easy! I had a look at the C2 Cambridge Exam once... I don't know how any non-native speaker passes that one, and I give anyone who has MAJOR props. Y'all are amazing. Utterly amazing. I can only hope to be half so amazing in my German studies.
13 x

Usayo
Languages: Polish (N), English (C1), Czech (beginner), Russian (beginner)

Postby Usayo » Mon May 16, 2022 9:46 am

Hi!
I am Usayo and I'm a Polish native speaker. I've been learning English since childhood and now I am advanced and the language, of course I still happen to make mistakes which is absolutely okay!
I just started to learn Czech and I got leally fascinated in it. I have been looking for information on this forum for some time and now I think it's time to start using it more questions that I have or answer other's ones!
Nice to meet you all :D
7 x

sabotai
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (Intermediate)

Postby sabotai » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:19 pm

Hello everyone. Very long time, no see. I posted on the old HTLAL forum (same username) and in the early days on this forum, but I forgot what name and email I used. It's been several years, if not longer, since I seriously tried learning languages but I'm trying to get back into it now.
7 x

Sae
Green Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Vietnamese (Intermediate)
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18201

Postby Sae » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:08 pm

Hey folks! New here but I am somebody who was looking for a language learning community and stumbled upon this place.

A little bit about me:
I have been learning Vietnamese for the last few months with a tutor, he has been teaching me the Southern dialect. I intend to visit the country and maybe even work there. I have really enjoyed the experience so far, but it has worked out to be an interesting challenge as a native English speaker. Tones have been the biggest challenge and picking out words from sentences...and also occasionally making a mistake where tone or pronunciation has changed the meaning into something rude...it is surprising how easy that is.

But it is not my only experience learning language, learning French & German was standard in my school and I end up learning German, but I am far from fluent in it, though I have been to Germany many times and know enough to get by. And my German pronunciation definitely needs work, I once tried to order 2 colas but got 3 beers mixed with cola. But I know why it happened and it wasn't "you're in Germany, you should be drinking beer". "Zweimal kola bitte" could be misheard as "dreimal kola bier".

And I have also just started learning Tuvan. I have a keen interest in the nomadic cultures of Mongolia and Tuva and their traditions. And I love their music and have taken to learning the Morin Khuur and Tuvan throat singing. I also intend to buy an igil one day. So learning some Tuvan is necessary to sing, but I think the idea of gaining some fluency in Tuvan would be exciting. And knowing it is considered an endangered language then it would be cool to add another speaker.

And finally, I intend to learn Mongolian too, but I am currently weighing my options because I don't want learning Tuvan and Mongolian to conflict with each other.

Outside of language, I'm a guy who loves heavy metal music, folk music, blues and rock and I have been to many concerts and festivals, heck it is the reason I've been to Germany so many times, they have he Wacken Open Air festival. I love motorcycles and ride a Kawasaki Vulcan S. I love writing & storytelling and used to do storytelling in front of audiences. I love playing video games and am a bit of an RPG nerd. And I work as a software developer in ecommerce.
11 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:03 pm

Sae wrote:Outside of language, I'm a guy who loves heavy metal music, folk music, blues and rock and I have been to many concerts and festivals, heck it is the reason I've been to Germany so many times, they have he Wacken Open Air festival. I love motorcycles and ride a Kawasaki Vulcan S. I love writing & storytelling and used to do storytelling in front of audiences. I love playing video games and am a bit of an RPG nerd. And I work as a software developer in ecommerce.

Welcome to the forum! Metal, folk music and RPG - nothing can go wrong. 8-)
6 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “General Language Discussion”