Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue May 11, 2021 5:05 pm

Welcome to LLORG! Enjoy.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

baset.oz
Languages: English , turkish , persian , pashto

Postby baset.oz » Fri May 14, 2021 9:39 pm

Hi guys my name is Baset, i am an aerospace engineer student in turkey Ankara
4 x

Reaver Engel
Languages: English (N)
German (Beginner)

Postby Reaver Engel » Wed May 26, 2021 9:39 pm

Hi! My name is Stacy and I am from Ontario Canada.

When I was about 13 I fell in love with the German language through a friend who introduced me to a band, no it wasn't Rammstein haha, (although I did already listen to them occasionally) but a different band called Oomph! For some reason the language clicked with me after I became obsessed with them, fell in love with the language and a few months later I found out from my father that on his side of the family we actually are German which just severed to cement my new found obsession.

I studied on and off for a while, unfortunately I went through a few tough situations in my life growing up and therefore I lost a lot of what I did learn, over the past 6 or 7 years I've picked it up here and there in bits and pieces again, thankfully remembering a lot more than I thought I would, however it was never enough to really do more than just making sure I didn't forget too much and not enough to actually learn new stuff.

I'm 27 and want to truly pursue the love I've had since I was a young teen, it is my dream above all else to visit Germany one day, maybe even live and work there it I ever get lucky, it's honestly something I can't explain, just this push, this drive since I fell in love with the language, just some pull, doesn't matter how tough the grammar problem, how hard the word, I enjoy every second of the learning, it truly is as fun as a video game or watching TV for me, I know it sounds weird but its just so much fun.

Now that I'm older, finally living on my own with my boyfriend in our own place, have the time I want to do stuff, and a wonderful job where I can listen to podcasts or watch shows for almost 9 hours a day while working, I feel that I am in the best possible position to put my mind into it and do it right.

I also briefly dabbled in Russian, Japanese, and Arabic. German sparked a love of languages in me and I discovered I am attracted to languages with different writing systems, I dabbled in those languages just with the intention to gauge my interest in them and see if they were ones I would be interested in learning in the future, but I want my German to be at least a B2 before I attempt another one.

With German I say I am book smart with it, I know lots and lots of words, but I can barley put them into sentences and when I do, its usually with using lots of English grammar patterns, so sadly despite my years of love and obsession, I would say I'm maybe an A1.

Anyways I apologize for the long introduction, I get so excited and happy talking about languages, I never participated in a online forum really, I read all the rules and everything and I'm just hoping to meet some cool new people who share my love of languages!

Hope you all have a wonderful day! I'm so excited to meet you all!
12 x

evee
Languages: Native is English, still learning in Spanish and fluent in Filipino

Postby evee » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:31 am

Hello I'm Evee! New here!
3 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:03 pm

Reaver Engel wrote:Hi! My name is Stacy and I am from Ontario Canada.
I'm 27 and want to truly pursue the love I've had since I was a young teen, it is my dream above all else to visit Germany one day, maybe even live and work there it I ever get lucky . . .
Hello, Stacy. Welcome to LLORG!
I know a few people who have traveled a lot in Europe, and many of them say their favorite destination was Germany. People expect to hear Paris or London and other places, but not Germany. I too have visited Germany, mostly Munich, and I retain many fond memories of it myself. So, I hope you make it there, and soon.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:05 pm

evee wrote:Hello I'm Evee! New here!
Hello, Evee. Welcome to LLORG! You'll find lots of interesting people and posts here. Enjoy your stay.
1 x

somersault
Languages: Polish (N), English (Advanced), Japanese (Beginner), German (Beginner)

Postby somersault » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:26 pm

Hi everyone!

I came across this forum like 10 minutes ago!
Now everyone is using either facebook or reddit but I miss forums so much! ;)

I work full-time, I have a dog and I like languages ;)
I am taking N5 in Japanese next month and hopefully CAE later this year.
8 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:51 pm

somersault wrote:Hi everyone!

I came across this forum like 10 minutes ago!
Now everyone is using either facebook or reddit but I miss forums so much! ;)

I work full-time, I have a dog and I like languages ;)
I am taking N5 in Japanese next month and hopefully CAE later this year.

Hello, somersault. Welcome to LLORG and good luck with the N5.
0 x

RawToast
Languages: English (N), Japanese (JLPT N3)

Postby RawToast » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:39 am

皆さん、こんにちは!

I've lurked here and on the older HTLAL forum (well randomly read threads that were interesting) whilst making a poor attempt at learning Japanese. I've passed JLPT N5 through to N3, and will be taking -- and failing -- N2 in a few weeks.

I was terrible at learning languages at school. I took mandatory lessons in French, German, and Spanish but have skilfully managed to forget everything :lol:

I unofficially started the language challenge (movies/books) on my own, but thought it would be nice to officially take part!
7 x

wononik
Languages: English

Postby wononik » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:06 am

Hi, I am from India and Bengali is my native language. I am very eager to teach Bengali who love Bengali Language. All people are welcome from the entire Globe who are willing to learn Bengali. My initiative is for those who want to learn Bengali but don`t get well source to do that. I welcome everyone willing to learn Bengali... ধন্যবাদ
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”