Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
Isidia
Languages: English (C2), Mandarin (C1), French (B1)

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby Isidia » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:03 pm

Hi everyone!
My name is Cuong. I am a Vietnamese American who are fluent in English (who couldn’t ( to show hubleness)), Mandarin and French (to a lesser extent). I could speak a little German and Russian but my level is at an infancy stage. I have enjoyed learning languages since I was a kid.

I am very glad to be a new member and wish to learn new things from you guys!

Wish you all best!
3 x

Commeca
Languages: English (N), Punjabi (C1) French (B1)

Postby Commeca » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:05 pm

Hello everyone

My name is Sara and I speak English and Punjabi fluently. English is my native language as I was born in Canada and Punjabi is my heritage language that my parents speak. I have always been 'receptively billingual' in Punjabi but I worked hard to achieve fluency (reading, writing especially) on my own. It's been very rewarding. I can also understand Hindi quite well because of it's similiarity to Punjabi. I could make a post about my Punjabi learning resources if anyone is interested because it's not very easy to find things.

Since I grew up in Canada, the french language was always a mandatory subject in grade school for 10 years and I even took a few courses in university. Ten years later, I forgot mostly everything but I still made good learning progress in just a few months because of my dormant knowledge. I am at a B1 level now after starting in Nov 2022 and I hope to be B2 by next year. My ultimate goal is learning both French and Spanish to a B2 level at least. My language goals aren't very ambitious and I learn for pleasure. I just want to be able to enjoy the language and engage with content and use it when I travel.
11 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:33 pm

Commeca wrote:I could make a post about my Punjabi learning resources if anyone is interested because it's not very easy to find things.

Please do. :)
2 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Agon
Languages: English (N), French (intermediate), Mandarin (intermediate), Spanish (beginner)

Postby Agon » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:12 pm

After being a lurker for a long time, I have decided to take the plunge and register.

I'm from the UK. My native language is English, and I have been learning and struggling with French, Mandarin Chinese and Spanish. I look forward to joining in with many stimulating discussions!
7 x

lrac_kk
Languages: Native: Chinese/ Cantonese(Hong Kong)
Fluent: Mandarin, English
Learning: British English, German(A2)

Postby lrac_kk » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:35 am

Agon wrote:After being a lurker for a long time, I have decided to take the plunge and register.

I'm from the UK. My native language is English, and I have been learning and struggling with French, Mandarin Chinese and Spanish. I look forward to joining in with many stimulating discussions!

Hi Agon, I am KK from Hong Kong. I am living in the UK now and trying to improve British English. I can help you with your Chinese learning :) Look forward to the language experience here!
1 x

rowanexer
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (N2), French (B1), Portuguese (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19019

Postby rowanexer » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:28 pm

Hi everyone. About 15 years ago I was sort of active on the HTAL forums. I learned a lot from the community but drifted away from it, though I carried on learning languages. I was learning French and Japanese and now I've been getting into a new language Portuguese I wanted to get back in with the community again. It's very interesting seeing how language learning trends have changed!

Back then SRS was the big thing, and now everyone seems to be talking about comprehensible input! Anyway, I'm glad theres still space for forum based communities!
7 x

noblethings
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (False beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18899

Postby noblethings » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:40 pm

Hi everyone, I go by Noblethings.

For the past 1.5 years, I've been focused on deleting the school system's bad language-learning techniques from my brain. And of course, doing research to find a method that actually works for me.
Now I've gotten serious about learning my second language, French, properly. The next few months will reveal whether I've come up with a good learning system, or if I've just wasted 1.5 years writing nonsense documents! :D :D

Nice to meet you all!
5 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:24 pm

noblethings wrote:Hi everyone, I go by Noblethings.

For the past 1.5 years, I've been focused on deleting the school system's bad language-learning techniques from my brain. And of course, doing research to find a method that actually works for me.
Now I've gotten serious about learning my second language, French, properly. The next few months will reveal whether I've come up with a good learning system, or if I've just wasted 1.5 years writing nonsense documents! :D :D

Nice to meet you all!
Welcome to the forum :-)
1 x

arachneana
Languages: Serbian(N), Hungarian(N), English (fluent), Korean (beginner), Italian (beginner), Chinese (beginner), Finnish (beginner), Russian (beginner), (beginner), Spanish (beginner), Thai (beginner), Japanese (beginner)

Postby arachneana » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:07 am

Hello, everyone
I'm learning 9 languages for fun whenever I have some free time.

I don't have any goals except understanding how the grammar of a language works and acquiring skills of using a language. I don't mind being slow or using just an hour per day to practice. It is the process of learning I really enjoy.

Hungarian and Serbian are my native languages, but I am more fluent in English than in Hungarian since I am not using Hungarian that often. But, that is about to change.

Languages that I'm learning as a beginner are: Korean, Chinese, Spanish, Zulu, Thai, Finnish, Japanese, and I practice Russian and Italian as an intermediate learner.
7 x

noblethings
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (False beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18899

Postby noblethings » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:11 pm

arachneana wrote:Hello, everyone
I'm learning 9 languages for fun whenever I have some free time.

I don't have any goals except understanding how the grammar of a language works and acquiring skills of using a language. I don't mind being slow or using just an hour per day to practice. It is the process of learning I really enjoy.

Hungarian and Serbian are my native languages, but I am more fluent in English than in Hungarian since I am not using Hungarian that often. But, that is about to change.

Languages that I'm learning as a beginner are: Korean, Chinese, Spanish, Zulu, Thai, Finnish, Japanese, and I practice Russian and Italian as an intermediate learner.

Hi and welcome! I love your avatar.
0 x
French audio input (70 hours): : 70 / 70
FSI vol 1 [89 tapes] : 30 / 89
unit 5 : 5 / 7

Return to “General Language Discussion”