Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
MarxistPigeon
Languages: English, Spanish (high intermediate)

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby MarxistPigeon » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:21 pm

Hello everyone,

I joined this forum last month so I can better involve myself in the community of language learners here and for the ability to follow discussions. I figured I should eventually get around to making an introduction post! A little bit about myself, I am an American 18-year old that began the process of learning Spanish last year in order to get in touch with my Puerto Rican background, and better communicate with some members of my family. This has presented some unique challenges due to the fact that Puerto Rican Spanish is different from other varieties of Spanish. It incorporates more English terms, has some vocabulary only used on the island derived from the indigenous people, and specifically Puerto Rican literature and cinema can be scarce.

I have mostly followed the Refold method while doing this (i.e., heavy amounts of immersion), but since there can be very few options it can be difficult at times. To prevent a lack of ability in understanding dialects I occasionally will watch Mexican, Cuban, Colombian, or whatever other kind of movies/TV I can find so long as it interests me. I have also benefited from conversations with my family and friends I have met while language learning. I have recently began to shadow/chorus daily to help develop the unique accent present in my dialect. Another big goal for me is being able to use Spanish when visiting Puerto Rico, which I plan to do for the first time in a few months, and other places such as Cuba.

Once I feel comfortable with my Spanish, I plan on working on another language that I may feel less "obligated" to learn, specifically for a culture I am really interested in. While I have vague ambitions of knowing countless other languages, among them Chinese, Portuguese, Swahili, and Serb-Croatian, I have really taken an interest in Greek lately, so much so that I have begun to learn the alphabet as a low-tension way of engaging with the culture and language.

I hope that I will maybe get to know some of you soon, and that I can contribute to discussions on this board when I feel I have something to add.
12 x

Mahoutklight
Languages: English (N), Russian (beginner)

Postby Mahoutklight » Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:35 am

My name is Clark, I was born in Carlsbad, New Mexico! I like every European language I've ever heard (except for two) and I want to learn four of them to B2/C1.

I also like video games, karate, collecting hats, drawing and balisongs.

I'm young and I'm not very smart but I do my best.
7 x

raoulhjo
White Belt
Languages: French (N)
English (B2)
Czech (beginner)

Postby raoulhjo » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:18 am

Welcome Clark!
1 x

Iordanus
Languages: English (N)
Latin (Currently Learning)

Postby Iordanus » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:52 pm

Hello all, I am a 23 year old native English speaker currently learning Latin. I grew up in a very multilingual environment, and tinkered with a variety of languages in my own time, picking up many bits and pieces, but I've never attempted to study one as rigorously as I'm currently doing with Latin.
11 x

Pushistaya_Lisa
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Russian (C1)
French, German, Spanish (B2)
Arabic (MSA), Hebrew, Polish, Ukrainian (beginner)

Postby Pushistaya_Lisa » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:45 pm

Hi everyone,

Been reading posts on this forum for the past couple of months and then I finally decided to register. The main reason being that I like the idea of language logs to have some accountability for what I'm doing.
I am a native English speaker trying to maintain 4 languages at the same time as trying to tackle the beast which is Arabic. All while being distracted by the charms of Polish, Ukrainian and Hebrew. :D
9 x

lingua7
Languages: Turkish (N), Persian (N), English (C2),
Russian (A2), French (beginner), German (beginner)

Postby lingua7 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:49 am

Hi everyone,
My name is Sanam and I am a bilingual Turkish/Persian native speaker who is also fluent in English. Since one year I am self-studying French but I never went beyond playing at Duolingo and watching some videos. I have joined this forum hoping that it will motivate me to take French more seriously. I am also a certified Turkish teacher so I would be more than happy to answer your Turkish (and Persian) questions :)
9 x

shiningvickey
Languages: I speak Mandarin and now I live in Taiwan.
I want to improve English.

Postby shiningvickey » Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:49 am

Hi, my name is Vickey.
I come from Taiwan.
I'm working on IELTS exam marks because I could possibly study abroad this year.
If you're interested in Mandarin or curious about Taiwan,
we can exchange skype numbers. ;)
4 x

Sappho
Languages: German (N)

Postby Sappho » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:04 pm

Hi guys!

I am Sappho and will focus this year on improving my heritage language Persian and learning a bit of French to mix things up. Excited to be part of the forum! :)
7 x

Artgor
Languages: Russian (N), English (fluent), Spanish (B2), German (A1), Japanese (A1)

Postby Artgor » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:51 pm

Hello!
I'm Andrey, I'm from Russia, but currently, I live in Dubai, UAE. Age 33.
I studied German up to B2 9 years ago but forgot most of it (hope to start renewing it this year). I also studied Japanese up to N3, but it was long ago.
Currently, I'm actively studying Spanish, I think I'm at the B2 level (passed several online tests and got this result).
Other than learning languages, I like reading fantasy, and working with machine learning (I'm a data scientist); I'm learning to draw, but so far my attempts look like scribbles
6 x

neitonathan
Languages: English (N) Japanese (Low-Intermediate)

Postby neitonathan » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:20 am

Hey everyone.

I'm Nathan, but I also go by Neito online.
I joined this forum to connect with other language learners and learn more about others experiences with languages.
Currently learning Japanese in preparation for a working holiday in Japan I'm hoping to go on. Fingers crossed!
Looking forward to seeing everyone around the forum.
Thanks for reading!
6 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”