Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
this_or_that
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Italian (passive advanced, active beginner), German (passive intermediate);
seriously studied but forgot: Ancient Greek;
dabbled in: Latin, French, Spanish, Modern Greek, Old English

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby this_or_that » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:17 pm

Hello,
I've been lurking here for a long time (also on the old HTLAL forum; sadly, not in its heyday, and I was not a member). I've always wanted to learn multiple languages, but for various reasons English is the only one I mastered to active fluency. I almost gave up on my language hobby for a while, then resurrected it shortly before the pandemic and finally managed to create something like a consistent personal approach, instead of my previous random floundering. I'm still tweaking and experimenting of course, but overall my self-study goes better than ever before. Advice here and on the HTLAL has been incredibly helpful. So, after years of reading I finally decided to start writing. :)
4 x

YoruTheLearner
Languages: English (N), Swedish (beginner)

Postby YoruTheLearner » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:38 pm

Hello, I am Yoru.

I'm an American who is learning Spanish and wants to become a translator in the future. I have dabbled in several languages but never took any of them far. I never did language classes in school either. I have no idea what I am doing but I am keeping track of my hours and process.

Currently I am going through the FSI Basic Course and Language Transfer Complete Spanish. When I finish these, I will read the CONALITEG textbooks and go from there.

Years into the future, once I've gotten a high level of Spanish, I have plans for learning Japanese and Korean as well.
4 x

Treza
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Postby Treza » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:42 pm

Hi - I have been lurking for about a year on the board. I've found many great resources and ideas discussed here. I've been studying Spanish for about a year and a half. The first 6-9 months were tough - I tried a bunch of programs, including FSI Basic, but didn't feel like I was making much progress. Currently I'm at an advanced beginner level and making decent progress. I finished the first 50 lessons of Assimil with Ease in November. I decided to take a break and just study some basics before a 10-day trip to Mexico City in December. While in Mexico City, I worked with a tutor 1:1 for a total of 10 hrs, but definitely did not have an immersion experience. When I returned, I decided to pick up the FSI Basic program at Lesson 6. Even though the grammar is relatively basic for me, I really like the speaking exercises (something I felt was lacking in Assimil). This time around, I'm much less overwhelmed by how much information is included in each FSI lesson. I seem to get tired with different programs after a bit, so who knows, I may switch back to Assimil after awhile.

My background - 2.5 yrs of French in High School followed by a month in France. I doubt I progressed above a basic level and never felt very competent as a foreign language student. For some odd reason, I took 2 semesters of Chinese in college, maybe as a distraction from all of the science classes that I was taking at the time. I could not hear the intonations of the language and would consider it a major fail. I'm currently retired and decided that learning Spanish would be a great challenge and help me with travels that I'm interested in.

In addition to FSI and Assimil, tools that I'm using include Italki sessions (~2/week), ChatGPT 4, Lingq, and a note-taking app called Capacities that allows me to link (backlink) lessons that I'm studing with key verbs, words, grammer explanations, etc. I'm using another note-taking app called RemNote for a limited number of flashcards (it's comparable to Anki, but has a nicer interface).
9 x

qxz
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (A2)

Postby qxz » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:00 pm

Hi everyone, Happy New Years! Long time lurker here and thought it's time to create an account. I'm a beginner in German and will be sticking with that one for some time. I hope to contribute a great deal to this forum in the new year!
5 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:04 pm

Welcome. You have arrived in a period with access problems, so just being here is quite an achievement. I see forward to your posts.
1 x

Keyrowg Ella
White Belt
Languages: English (N)

Varying degrees of competence: French, German, Irish

Actively learning: Italian

Postby Keyrowg Ella » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I've read some threads on the forum over the past few weeks and thought I should create an account. Glad to see you're back up and running! I hope to contribute where I can and look forward to getting to know some of you.

This year I've begun to study Italian. As you can see from my profile, I also have experience with French, German and Irish to varying degrees.
5 x

vanessa.peterfeld
Languages: English (N), German (B1 / B2)

Postby vanessa.peterfeld » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:18 am

Hi,
I'm Vanessa! I've been learning German for quite a while now. I am interested in language learning in general, have also been learning some French, and dabbled in a few other languages. Right now, my focus is German, and as I'm always looking for new resources and ways to practice, I thought I'd join a forum and see what else is out there. I hope that this forum is still active enough, because I saw that quite a few posts are from quite a while ago? In any case, I'm going to give this a shot! Looking forward to meeting fellow German learners! :)
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:50 pm

vanessa.peterfeld wrote:Hi,
I'm Vanessa! I've been learning German for quite a while now. I am interested in language learning in general, have also been learning some French, and dabbled in a few other languages. Right now, my focus is German, and as I'm always looking for new resources and ways to practice, I thought I'd join a forum and see what else is out there. I hope that this forum is still active enough, because I saw that quite a few posts are from quite a while ago? In any case, I'm going to give this a shot! Looking forward to meeting fellow German learners! :)

It is active, but we had a couple weeks of bot attacks that stopped people interacting much. All better now.
2 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

engpolusap
Languages: English (fluent)
Polish (intermediate)

Postby engpolusap » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:14 am

Hello,

I'm a bilingual speaker of English and Polish looking to improve my Polish.
I have been researching various learning mediums and hope to learn more and share here.
3 x

Tumlare
White Belt
Swedish (B2+, main focus)
German (dabbling; goal: A1 by August)

Studied in the past but can no longer speak: French, Japanese, Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19877

Postby Tumlare » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:20 am

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking around the forum for a little bit and finally decided to start actively posting. I'm an American with a passion for languages currently living in Sweden. My primary focus is on improving my Swedish from my current level (B2) to C1 (and eventually C2).

I've studied a few different languages in the past (3 years of French in high school, 1 semester of Japanese in college, a few months of Spanish, 2 weeks of travel-survival German) and I would like to return to them/explore additional languages in the future.
5 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”