General discussion about learning languages
Merrikay
Languages: English (N)
Japanese (N5) (A1-A2)

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby Merrikay » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:24 pm

Hi everyone!

I’m Kaela, 27.

I’m a native American English speaker and I’ve been studying Japanese for about a year.

I’ll be taking the N5 in December, so I’d estimate I’m at the A1-A2 cusp. I can’t wait to join in some fun discussions!:)
6 x

@lfthndgypsy
Português (Fluent)
Spanish (B2)
Italian (Beginner)

Postby @lfthndgypsy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:41 am

Hello to all! My name is Eli; that's short for Elijah. I'm from the United States. I have only learned to speak Portuguese fluently so far, but I have big plans for the future. I'm happy to have found this forum. I've tried several different language learning software platforms, and find them all to be a bit lacking. I have a few ideas for language learning and I sincerely hope to learn a lot more from all the interesting people in here. I'm amazed and humbled by some of you! I love to meet new people and I would be happy to help anyone that has a question about American English.
4 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Postby cathrynm » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:47 pm

Hello! I'm Cathryn, I'm a native English speaker and I've been studying Japanese and Finnish for awhile now as these are the language of my ethnic heritage. I'm mostly busy with work as a computer programmer, but I try to get in time on these languages when I can. This December I'm going to try the JLPT N2 and I'm studying for that. I've failed this 5 times or so, but I still have hope. Next year I plan on spending a week or so in Helsinki, just to do some touristing around
6 x

Eyéri_akia_Turey
Languages: English (N), Spanish (N), Indonesian (beginner)

Everything after this is beginner/have yet to study:
French, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, Catalan, Arpitan, Occitan, Provençal, Walloon, Romansh.

Postby Eyéri_akia_Turey » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:19 am

Hello, I'm an aspiring polyglot and my interest is in Native American, Austronesian, and Romance languages. I am currently able to speak English and Spanish but know a little bit of a reconstructed form of Taíno along with the Lesser Antilles' Kalinago language. I am familiar with a very basic level of Indonesian and Javanese which I want to expand on after I finish my Romance conquest. Thank you!
4 x

PandaIzumi
Languages: English (N), Korean (A2), Japanese (beginner), French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9241

Postby PandaIzumi » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Hi everyone. You can just call me Izumi and I'm a native English speaker.

I've been self-studying Korean on and off with various setbacks for a while now, but I'm recently back at again now that I've realized which study methods work for me and which don't.

I'm planning to study Japanese and French in the future as well. I've taken classes for both of these languages in the past(a college semester for Japanese and two high school years for french) but it's been so long I don't remember much of either. I would love to learn them again.

It's nice to meet you all!
1 x
Korean
College Korean: 26 / 26
KoreanClass101 Beginner S3: 25 / 25
연세 한국어 읽기 1: 5 / 40
KTAL 1: 7 / 59

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:45 pm

Hello! My name is Jarek; I am 38 years old. I am a Polish native speaker. I have been learning English since primary school*. I had a touch with German also at that time but did not learn anything. Only during my studies, I decided that if I want to research the Great War, I have to learn German. So I did it, and on my final year, I stayed one semester in Potsdam. I also tried to learn Russian which I continued one year during my Ph.D. studies. I also tried to learn French then. I do not speak in those languages, but I can work with books and sources, especially if I have a dictionary at hand. When I started working at the University, I was told to teach military history after the second world war. I decided that I should also research that topic and chose Arab-Israeli wars. My Professor told me once that one should know the languages of all sides of the conflict to study it. So I started learning Hebrew and later also Arabic. My current goals are - to be fluent in Hebrew and to be able to write texts in English (without the translator, but with proofreader). If I ever master Hebrew, I will put more pressure into learning Arabic.

* This is a past perfect continuous practice - I wanted to say that I started learning in primary school and I still learn the language ;)
5 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

isaiah6113
Languages: English, Spanish (low intermediate)

Postby isaiah6113 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:32 pm

Greetings. My name is Jarrett and I'm kind of debating which language to throw myself into. I have a background in studying Spanish and I enjoy Latin Americans very much. I've also traveled to the Middle East twice and for that reason have always aspired to study Hebrew and Arabic. Hebrew seems more likely because I have more interests associated with that language (Hebrew Bible, fascination with modern Israel, geography of the Holy Land, Israeli culture in some respects). I look forward to meeting others here who are interested in languages from all over the world and to gain insights on how to study.
5 x

OptikOort
Languages: English (C2), Italian (B1)

Postby OptikOort » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:28 pm

Hello,
My name is OptikOort and I speak English and Italian. I learned Italian because I liked it and now I would like to repeat the experiment to see if I can pick up other languages consistently or it was only by chance and circumstances that I achieved my first goal.

I am looking forward to browsing the forum and getting great advice !
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:18 pm

OptikOort wrote:Hello,
My name is OptikOort and I speak English and Italian. I learned Italian because I liked it and now I would like to repeat the experiment to see if I can pick up other languages consistently or it was only by chance and circumstances that I achieved my first goal.

What is your native language?
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

OptikOort
Languages: English (C2), Italian (B1)

Postby OptikOort » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:23 pm

rdearman wrote:
OptikOort wrote:Hello,

What is your native language?

My native language is Greek !
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”