General discussion about learning languages
RedBeardVII
White Belt
Languages: English (beginner)

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby RedBeardVII » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:08 pm

Re-howdies, all.

Long time poster, first time lurker.

I haven't been doing much language study lately, but I do stop by here, every once in a while. I was formerly on the HTLAL site as RedBeard. Actually, I'm so old that I remember the "Let's make our own Assimil-style course!" thread. Ah, good times.

It is good to see some of y'all again!

-RedBeardVII

have studied: French, German (approx. high school level)
have briefly dabbled in: Esperanto, Italian, Japanese
3 x

Seely
Languages: English (N)
Italian (Intermediate)

Postby Seely » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:58 am

Hi all

I'm Daniel, from Nottingham UK and have been learning Italian since about October 2018. I've been studying through evening classes at a local university and through a lot of personal study (not to mention visits to Italy...) and long-term the goal is to become fluent. I'm at an intermediate level, but hoping to learn new tricks and skills here to help me improve my learning even more. I've always been a fan of languages, having studied Spanish for 4 years in school, and would love to return to that as well once I've progressed further with my Italian.

Look forward to learning with you all!
3 x

Avinunca
Languages: English (N) some Greek and Spanish

Postby Avinunca » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:54 am

Hi, I'm Michael and I live in the UK though I may move to France or Spain. I've had an interest in languages for many years though I was put off for a long time by my experience at school!
I failed the registration question a couple of times. Yukon Potatoe?
The languages I enjoy the most are Greek and Spanish. My Wife is Polish and I'm embarassed to report I still only know a few words of Polish.
I have a new interest in France and I want to learn French (despite bad memories of our bad tempered French school teacher).
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:56 pm

Avinunca wrote:Hi, I'm Michael and I live in the UK though I may move to France or Spain. I've had an interest in languages for many years though I was put off for a long time by my experience at school!
I failed the registration question a couple of times. Yukon Potatoe?
The languages I enjoy the most are Greek and Spanish. My Wife is Polish and I'm embarassed to report I still only know a few words of Polish.
I have a new interest in France and I want to learn French (despite bad memories of our bad tempered French school teacher).

PM me with the question and I'll either correct it or remove it. :)
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

nortmeak
Languages: English

Postby nortmeak » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:03 am

Hello everyone, I'm MJ from Philippines, studying BS Education Major In Physical Education. I am a Filipino and our language is Tagalog. I decided to join here to improve my level on speaking and writing English language. My level on writing is higher than speaking because sometimes I forget the English word while I am speaking. I hope that I will learn a lot here and my English level will improve.
2 x

mickallen
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Postby mickallen » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:55 pm

Hi All,

I stumbled upon this forum having found the article http://www.language-learners.org/2016/02/07/the-multi-track-approach-to-language-learning-guest-post-by-iguanamon/ which was a very interesting read.

I have been trying to learn Spanish for a couple of years without much success, so am hoping this forum can help me to kick start my progress in 2020, I have already found many useful suggestions from browsing through the many posts.

The forum seems very active which is very encouraging and hope I can contribute in some way this, I am going to create a Learning Log, which seems a good motivational tool, and I have enjoyed reading others experiences and now realise it's not just me who struggles :), I really enjoyed reading Bex's Spanish log 2016/17 - https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3949, a lot of what she said is just how I am feeling now
3 x

LeeGood
Languages: Spanish
French

Postby LeeGood » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:06 pm

Hello hi
I am new here :)
0 x

jordan
South African/Zimbabwe - (Beginner).
In the future/as soon as possible, I hope to learn Arabic and other languages.

Postby jordan » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:43 pm

Hi.

I am from the UK. I am currently learning South African/Zimbabwe (Afrikaans) slowly. I know a few phrases/lines but hope to become fluent.
For now, vrede en liefde! (peace and love!)

When I'm ready, I also hope to learn Arabic, as my dad is from Lebanon, though he's warned me it won't be an easy language to learn. He has taught me one phrase "habibi" = a casual greeting sort phrase meaning "my love."

I like to make music in my spare time. I have made one South African (draft/demo) song so far and I am going to expand my worldly music making genres, in time. :!:

:)
0 x

Solari
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Intermediate), Haitian Creole (Beginner)

Postby Solari » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:33 am

Hello everyone! I am very excited to be joining this community- I have had thoughts of developing a self-study foreign language schedule for myself for many years, but I seemed to never have the discipline or life circumstances to follow through with this idea. I remember stumbling upon Youtube videos of polyglots in ~2009 and being inspired by their dedication, while also feeling like I couldn't ever do that myself.

I have been studying Spanish on and off for many years, but I have finally gotten into a consistent self-study regimen in the past couple of months. I am very encouraged by what I have been able to achieve so far, and I hope to participate in this community as a way of maintaining my enthusiasm.

My ultimate goals are to become more familiar with the Romance language family and specific related Creole languages. I work in health care in a part of the US where there are significant local communities who speak Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, and Cape Verdean Creole. Some day, I would love to be able to use all of these languages.

For now, I am focusing on continuing to improve my Spanish while also beginning my study of Haitian Creole.

Looking forward to learning with all of you!
8 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:05 pm

Solari wrote:...I have been studying Spanish on and off for many years, but I have finally gotten into a consistent self-study regimen in the past couple of months. I am very encouraged by what I have been able to achieve so far, and I hope to participate in this community as a way of maintaining my enthusiasm.
My ultimate goals are to become more familiar with the Romance language family and specific related Creole languages. I work in health care in a part of the US where there are significant local communities who speak Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, and Cape Verdean Creole. Some day, I would love to be able to use all of these languages. ...

Welcome to the forum, Solari. What you want to achieve is doable. I've done it with Spanish, Portuguese and Haitian Creole. I have no need for Cape Verdean Creole here- maybe if I were in Boston or elsewhere in New England.

Have a look at the Haitian Creole Study Group here on the forum. This should give you a good starting point for available resources, more than you may think. We also have a Spanish Group.
4 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”