Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
chanchy34
Languages: French

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby chanchy34 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:30 pm

Hello,

I am new, my native language is french, and my english is not very good, my goal is to learn deutsch and persian. Thank you very much.
7 x

bahçe
Languages: English (N), Deutsch (B2), Türkçe (B2), Türkmençe (b), Arabic (b), Japanese (b)

Postby bahçe » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:45 am

Hello, my name is Can but I go by bahçe. My native language is English but I live in Turkey, so I'm mainly practicing that
4 x

hezarfen
Languages: Turkish (N), English (B2)

Postby hezarfen » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:06 pm

Hello, my name is Ahmet. I am from Turkey and my native language is Turkish. I have been learning English since primary school. I am at an intermediate level in German and a beginner level in French, Persian, and Hebrew. I am currently studying French. History and language are my passion. I hope I will be able to improve my English writing skills while talking about languages. Glad to be here!
5 x

drax
Languages: English

Postby drax » Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:04 pm

Hi, I'm John,

I'm wondering if anyone would be so kind as to help me?

I have a friend in Sarawak who sends me an SMS about once a month, but sometimes they forget that [unfortunately :-( ] my only language is English, and their last SMS is a mix of English, Bahasa (Sarawakian version I think), and possibly Bidayuh.

I don't want to appear rude by asking them to resend it in English only so was wondering if anyone on this forum could tell me what their last SMS says? I only ask this once and will NOT be making a habit of it!

Their SMS says:
Since covid atik some friends stay away so kuk koz aku over exposed so budak 2x sekolah.
Bara doh ambik vaccine tapi akan ambik our flu injection coming april atik.
Bara iah mboh jarang close social n bara stay so kuk as much as possible.
Mun interact sama diripun iah pakey mask.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help, but if no one can help then thanks anyway for reading my post.

Looking forward, can anyone advise where I can buy DVD(s) with lessons in Bahasa?

Thank you kindly

John
0 x

Apedemech
Languages: English (N), Shelta, Scots, Angloromani,

Postby Apedemech » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:13 am

Hello, I'm new here.
0 x

Sprachprofi
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2+), Esperanto (C2), French (C2), Modern Greek (C2), Latin (teaching), Chinese (rusty C1), Italian (rusty C1), Dutch (B2), Spanish (B2), Serbocroatian (B1/B2), very rusty Japanese, Swahili, Indonesian, Hebrew, Arabic...

Postby Sprachprofi » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:26 pm

Hey, I'm an old Unilang / HTLAL regular and I only just found out about this forum because of Johanna, who practices Serbocroatian with me. Looking forward to reconnecting with people and getting to know new ones.

For those who don't know me:
  • my real name is Judith Meyer
  • you may know me by my Twitter/Youtube handle GermanPolyglot
  • I'm the founder of the Polyglot Gathering (but organizer only for the first three years)
  • I invented the Script Hacking method for learning new alphabets
  • I run the 6 Week Challenge, so if you have trouble with the bot, send me a private message
学习如逆水行舟:不进则退。
Xuéxí rú nìshuǐxíngzhōu: bù jìn zé tuì.
Studying is like rowing a boat against the current: if you don't advance, you fall behind.
16 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:56 pm

Sprachprofi wrote:Hey, I'm an old Unilang / HTLAL regular and I only just found out about this forum because of Johanna, who practices Serbocroatian with me. Looking forward to reconnecting with people and getting to know new ones.

• I'm the founder of the Polyglot Gathering (but organizer only for the first three years)
  • I run the 6 Week Challenge, so if you have trouble with the bot, send me a private message
Studying is like rowing a boat against the current: if you don't advance, you fall behind.

Hi Judith. Welcome back. :)
6 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

wheresmycookie
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Adv), Mandarin (HSK2)

Postby wheresmycookie » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:59 pm

Hello,

I'm Robert and I live in Pittsburgh, USA, and Valencia, Spain. I take Mandarin classes twice a week and my wife is Spanish (so I speak Spanish every day). I'm interested in learning how others practice and learn new languages. What helps? What doesn't help? I'm a programmer and I'm hoping to design an app, over time, that encodes what I learn, since I have so far not found anything that I can truly say has helped :lol:

Buenos días Language Learning Forum desde Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Vivo media año aquí y durante el otro parte estoy tomando mucha sol en Valencia, españa. Tomo classes de mandarin dos veces por semana. Mi esposa es española así que puedo hablar español cada día con ella. Estoy interesado en aprender modos nuevos en aprender idiomas, y también rutinas q uno se puede seguir para alcanzar comodidad en conversar con ellas. Soy programador, así que naturalmente me gustaría desarrollar un app con mis aprendizajes.

大家好,我的名字是罗伯特。我现在住在匹兹堡和Valencia,西班牙。我每周上中文课。我的老婆长大在西班牙所以我和她能说话西班牙语。我想学习人们如何学习新语言。

Yeah, so I'm HSK2 so my Chinese intro isn't terribly elegant :geek: and maybe a Spanish error or two ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cheers --- feel free to DM me!
Robert
5 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:34 am

Sprachprofi wrote:Hey, I'm an old Unilang / HTLAL regular and I only just found out about this forum because of Johanna, who practices Serbocroatian with me. Looking forward to reconnecting with people and getting to know new ones.

Good to see you (metaphorically) again!
(Spotted your name in the "polyglot" thread and came to say hello.)
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:45 am

drax wrote:I have a friend in Sarawak who sends me an SMS about once a month, but sometimes they forget that [unfortunately :-( ] my only language is English, and their last SMS is a mix of English, Bahasa (Sarawakian version I think), and possibly Bidayuh.

I don't want to appear rude by asking them to resend it in English only so was wondering if anyone on this forum could tell me what their last SMS says? I only ask this once and will NOT be making a habit of it!

Their SMS says:
Since covid atik some friends stay away so kuk koz aku over exposed so budak 2x sekolah.
Bara doh ambik vaccine tapi akan ambik our flu injection coming april atik.
Bara iah mboh jarang close social n bara stay so kuk as much as possible.
Mun interact sama diripun iah pakey mask.

Welcome to the forum. I know a little bit of Bahasa Indonesia and own a dictionary for Bahasa Melayu, but the Bidayuh component (if there is one) is totally intractable. I guess that you already have tried Google translate on the assumption that some of the message is in Bahasa Melayu, but it doesn't help much, as can be seen below:

"Since covid atik some friends stay away so kuk koz I'm over exposed so boy 2x school.
Bara doh ambik vaccine but will ambik our flu injection coming april atik.
Bara iah mboh rarely close social n bara stay so kuk as much as possible.
If you interact with yourself iah wear a mask.
"

I also tried Indonesian with an equally poor result, but frankly there isn't much personal content in this SMS so it would hardly be worth finding out about the remaining words (baram, ambik, mboh, kuk..). The solution lies with your friend: You should definitely tell him/her to communicate in a more comprehensible way, for instance by writing the intended message in Bahasa Melayu first and then running it through Google translate - the result could hardly be worse than the message you received.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”