Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
Blue Saka
White Belt
Languages: I speak some Turkish (really rusty), I understand a fair amount of Low Saxon, and am currently learning Ossetic (Iron dialect). I learn my languages by exposure, not by studying class material (besides dictionaries and basic guides). It has been a long time since I've studied any language.

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby Blue Saka » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:36 am

Hello, all. I am Cam, from Canada. I am studying the Ossetian language (Iron dialect). It is very likely I have Osssetian ancestry, though not confirmed. Nonetheless, I want to learn the language, and maybe learn to speak other Iranic languages down the road.
:D
3 x

RouteLeader
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (A2), Romanian (beginner), Afrikaans (beginner)

Postby RouteLeader » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:07 am

Hello everyone.

I am an Englishman living in Cambodia. Married with a one year old daughter.

I have had an interest in languages for as long as I can remember, but I have never quite found the correct techniques in language acquisition, so I am hoping to learn a few tips here and there.

Since my late teens, I have dabbled in a few languages, namely German, Afrikaans, and Swedish through the usual textbook course /Teach Yourself/ Roshitta Stone methods but I never really stuck at it.

When I moved to Cambodia in 2017, I managed to pick up some conversational Khmer, which helps me get by and not get treated like a tourist, but study never became serious, just very casual. A couple of years later, I enrolled at the Institut Français du Cambodge (IFC) in an attempt to re-discover my terrible schoolboy French. I worked hard, studied most days and passed at A1 exam within a few months but I became somewhat disillusioned with the approach and attitude taken and I soon realized that the courses were geared towards getting students to pass the DELF since it was necessary for many Cambodian university students studying medicine, rather than for the love of language learning. Moreover, some of the teachers (not all) at the IFC were not native, and spoke French with a Khmer accent, which made things difficult for me.

I left the IFC to continue French with self-study, using resources on the Radio France Internationale (RFI) website, but my progress has been quite patchy and my study patterns at present are very intermittent, but the passion is still there. I realized that my old mindset was focused around passing an exam, when it should really be a hobby and a passion project, so I am slowly making a start again with my French, using some of the helpful advice and techniques I have read on the forum. Perhaps being part of a language community will benefit me greatly, so here I am!

Aside from French, I am considering making a start on Afrikaans or Romanian.

Thanks for reading! :D
7 x

epistemophile
Languages: French (N), English (advanced), Russian (intermediate), German (intermediate), Serbo-Croatian (beginner)

Postby epistemophile » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:38 am

Hello! I'm Nico, a half-Italian student from France. My interest in languages and cultures started out when I was in middle school and it has since blossomed. Watching videos of polyglots (some I realized were fake, though) truly inspired me and eventually got me into action.

I dabbled almost only in Germanic (and occasional Romance and Uralic) languages for about four years, then stopped and have since been focusing only on Russian. I found myself a passion for Eastern Europe and Asia, hence I have projects specific to those areas. That said, despite my language learning experience, I paradoxically encounter common issues which hinder my progress.

I'm glad I found this community of like-minded individuals and I'm looking forward to exchanging! :)
6 x

plant
Languages: English native, studying Spanish.

Postby plant » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:55 pm

Hello everyone. I'm a native English speaker, originally from Canada, but I'm a resident of the US, where I've now lived most of my life. I understand a fair amount of spoken and written French but have virtually no output skills in the language.

I started studying Spanish a couple of months ago with an interest in obtaining a level that allows me to communicate freely in the language, as well as enjoy written works and shows. I consider myself a visual learner, but due to my occupation I have many hours to listen, but little time to book study or use the computer. Given that constraint, I'm working on developing a plan to take the best advantage of it.

The forum is a wealth of knowledge that I've used to work on my plan. I hope to participate where I can, but I'm a beginner. I'll have some questions for sure, and may participate in challenges or maybe write a log.
6 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Bangla (Advanced Low ACTFL 060723)
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 20#p217017

Postby Yunus39 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:37 am

Hello I am a native English speaker from the USA. I have been living in Bangladesh for the past two years and was a part-time to full-time language student for that time. I am probably high-intermediate, low-advanced in Bangla. I am working on Phase 5 GPA right now.

I had four years of Spanish in high school and three in university. I was somewhat conversational at one point, but haven't done anything with it in 12 years. My in-laws speak Spanish and my wife is a native speaker, so I would like to get back to a conversational level.
I also hope to start learning Koine Greek.

I am returning the the US for 8 months in November. I hope to keep up studying Bangla by reading novels along with audio-books and watching serials daily. I am thinking about starting a 500 hour experiment with Koine Greek, and a 200-300 hour experiment with Spanish. We will see.
10 x

maxalmonte14
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2), French (A2)

Postby maxalmonte14 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:45 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a native Spanish speaker from the Dominican Republic, been learning languages for a couple of years now, I'm English B2 (non-certified), and French A2 (taking B1 level at l'Alliance Française ATM). I've tried learning Japanese and Chinese in the past, but my knowledge is not significant. I've also been learning Haitian Creole for the last couple of weeks, really like the language so far.

And that's me, hope to learn from y'all here!
9 x

revelo
Languages: En (N) Ru (B2) Es (B2) Fr (B2)

Postby revelo » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:29 pm

I am an American studying Russian (and Ukrainian for reading only) and living in Kyiv right now. About B2 in both French and Spanish (plus reading ability of Portuguese, Catalan, Gallego). Previously studied Modern Greek to A2 and Turkish to A1, but forgot those languages completely.

I wanted to search member post history, for some interesting members, but system won't let me view profiles.
5 x

revelo
Languages: En (N) Ru (B2) Es (B2) Fr (B2)

Postby revelo » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:47 pm

Why can't I view profiles, not even my own?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:16 pm

revelo wrote:Why can't I view profiles, not even my own?

It is an anti spammer setting on the board to stop people from doing dodgy stuff. Continue to participate and you will be a full member and at that point the restrictions will lift.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Diomedes
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N); English (advanced, esp. reading); French, Spanish (intermediate); German, Italian (beginner)

Postby Diomedes » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:00 am

Hello,

I'm from Brazil and my native language is... yes, it's brazilian portuguese, you guessed it.

My other languages are quite rusty now. Besides english (this one seems to be intact), I once spoke intermediate french and spanish (good enough to solo travel with confidence), as well as basic german, italian, and a less-than-basic russian.

I am currently resuming the study of all languages that I have already studied, and I have a strong desire to start some others as time allows.
5 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”