General discussion about learning languages
ForgeJohn
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (N)
Studying: Japanese

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby ForgeJohn » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi all!

My name is John and I'm a native English and Spanish speaker who's trying to get into Japanese for a second time. I have my hopes on tackling Italian and French in the next year or so, and I'm working with a buddy of mine on a language-learning app called Forge :)

Excited to join!
3 x

revy
Languages: English (N), French (beginner), German (beginner), Spanish (prior formal study)

Postby revy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:28 pm

I'm revy, and I'm a self-learner in my 20s. I haven't made much progress yet for a variety of (bad) reasons, but I've recently made something of a breakthrough in my understanding of how this all works.

I have some hobbyist-level interest in linguistics, and I've finally familiarized myself with some small subset of SLA theory. I'm hoping to develop my theoretical understanding further, and more importantly to develop my amateur theories into practice that accounts for any weaknesses in the theory.

Several people here seem to be doing things that overlap with various aspects of my understanding, and that's really exciting for me!
Last edited by revy on Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Mypolyglotdream
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2), German (A1)

Postby Mypolyglotdream » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:46 pm

Hi everyone!

My name is Diana, I'm 35 years old and I'm from Argentina. My mother tongue is Spanish, and I'm learning English and German on my own. My dream is to become a polyglot =)

I'm also learning digital marketing and web analytics, and developing in the process my own website dedicated to languages =)
5 x

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt
Location: El Salvador, Centroamerica, but lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Languages: Spanish (N) English (B2) Italian (A2) German (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p155218

Postby mentecuerpo » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:34 pm

Hello, my name is Roberto, my online name mentecuerpo.

I am on my early 50's.
I live and work in Arizona.
I was born in and lived in El Salvador during childhood and young adulthood.

My mother speaks Italian fluently. She lived in Italy for her classical piano education.
My father loved languages.

My father studied ophthalmology in Argentina and was exposed to the flow of European Immigrants that flew WWII to Argentina. His professors were German, French, Italian and Argentinians.
My father discovered the Assimil language Method in Argentina, Buenos Aires, and brought it to El Salvador. My father could read six different languages. Medical Textbooks were in French and German back then. Back then, there were no computer and no internet, so learning a language was basically reading the language not speaking it. In El Salvador the only language spoken is Spanish.

I am married with two children. My children were born in New York.
My wife was born in South America.
We speak Spanish at home.
My children are bilingual, with some broken Spanish.
My daughter is starting her teenage years, she has been studying French since age 4-yo with private tutor teacher. I expose her to French and I try to take her to France every year during her summer break. I try to go to Italy very year but is not realistic.

I love Roma, and Trastevere.

I started learning English at 16-year-old. in an exchange student program. I did one year of High School at BCC High School in Bethesda, Maryland. I was very lucky it is one of the top public school in the USA.
On my late 20's after I graduated from the University of El Salvador. I went to New York for post graduate studies at SUNY Downstate (5 years total).
I started learning Italian on my 40's.
I am learning German since June/2019. (slow progress, no rush).
French is my go-to language to relax, I like it.
I listen to Italian Audiobooks daily and I finish on average one audiobook per week.
I read Italian books on a rate of 5-6 pager per day.
I am working my way slowly in German.
9 x

Ailish
Languages: Frisian (native), Dutch (native), English (~C2), German (intermediate & actively studying), French (beginner, only used on holidays)

Postby Ailish » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:23 pm

Hey! I'm Ailish, and I *might* have been registered on the old HTLAL forums but I don't quite remember... In any case, I'm a longtime lurker on both HTLAL and this forum.

I was raised mostly in Frisian, although hearing Dutch all around me growing up and when I went to school. I consider both languages to be my native language although Frisian just a teeny, tiny bit more...

I'm currently trying to improve my German. It's such a beautiful language, but also a frustrating one, because I can understand it so well - reading novels and listening to things is easy - but the minute I open my mouth and try to speak, or write something, for that matter, I come across as a three year old. So, to improve that, I'm doing a distance learning course, but at times finding motivation is hard, even though I enjoy doing the assignments. That might have a lot to do with having a busy job as a programmer, but if I'm honest, I'm also mildly scared of getting the assignments graded.

So, to get myself back in the groove of language learning I decided to finally start keeping a language log here. I hope it'll keep me motivated and maybe I'll find some encouragement along the way.

In the long term, when I'm finished with formally studying German, there are two other frustrating languages that I'm eyeing: Swedish and French. Swedish because whenever I hear it, I feel as if I *should* be able to understand it (but I don't yet), and French because I can read a little bit but I would like to be able to have touristy chats with people on holiday.
11 x

gita
Languages: - russian (N)
- buryad (N)
- english (B1-B2)
i'm also interested in
- spanish
- norwegian

Postby gita » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:14 am

Hello everyone! My name is Gita. I'm a native Russian and Buryat speaker. I'm learning English (currently active) and also I'm interested in Spanish and Norwegian (I watched TV-series where are these two languages the main and I liked a pronunciation a lot). I'm from Russia, Siberia. My hometown is near from Lake Baikal.

Now I'm a masters student and my major is chemical and biomedical engineering. I have a class in English about spectroscopy and so I need to know English well (but it's not the main reason).

Also, I'm a chess player since I was 7 years old. I played until 12 years old constantly and then I had a big break. When I went to my alma-mater I started to play again. I was a member of university team.
7 x

Catling121
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Advanced), French (Intermediate), Italian (Intermediate), Portuguese (Intermediate), Romanian (Beginner)

Postby Catling121 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:06 pm

Hey all, just introducing myself.

My name is Chris and I'm a British native living in Spain. I work as a translator and a musician, so I love to use music to help me learn a language.

Nice to meet you all :)
3 x

lil_pug
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Vietnamese (beginner)
Spanish (B1/B2)
Thai (A2)

Postby lil_pug » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:40 am

Hello, I’m lil_pug. I’ve recently gotten back into language learning. I’m a Thai native but since I was raised in the USA since I was a toddler, I forgot most of it (plus the fact that I can’t read or write it.) I’m an intermediate level in Spanish, though I’m not exactly sure which level since I never took an official test in it. I’ve recently started learning Amharic because I’m fascinated by African cultures especially the culture of Ethiopia. I might start a log here once I familiarize myself with this website. I also have many other big plans for language learning in the future.
5 x

Fluffy2004
Languages: English (N) Lithuanian (beginner)

Postby Fluffy2004 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:37 am

My name is Laura.. I'm almost 50 :lol: and I've decided to learn a new language. I took 6 years of French back in school and I hated it and never became fluent ,but it was required so.. Recently, I have become very interested in my familys ancestry. Im German, Prussian ,Polish Lithuanian & Swedish. I grew up hearing some Polish & some Swedish. However, the Prussian & Lithuanian are too far back and so I never really heard what those languages sounded like. Thanks to YouTube I now know how BEAUTIFUL those languages are ! I never really took to the German & Polish. But Prussian & Lithuanian just grabbed me ! They gave my soul chills . So I decided to go for it ! Little did I know that one was a dead language and the other , extremely difficult lol ! . But I am determined and I don't quit something once I commit. Go big or go home right ? Lol I've been studying Lithuanian for about 7 months and I'm not doing too bad ..considering lol The Old Prussian I'm just dabbling in due to the fact there aren't many people left in the world that can speak it ...and even fewer recordings. I love it so much tho and would greatly appreciate any help & tips on either of these beautiful languages :D
12 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:11 am

Welcome to the forum! And you arrive with interesting different baggage, Lithuanian and Prussian. Best of luck!
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “General Language Discussion”