Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
sarkey92
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby sarkey92 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:04 am

Hi, I'm sarkey. My native language is English.

I'm currently studying French and Korean, I tried to stick with just one, but the other is always calling me back. Because of this I am pretty much a beginner in both languages still. I've also been tempted by Spanish, Japanese and Chinese a few times, I am always getting derailed from my original goals. I'm hoping to stick to just French and Korean from now on. I just turned 30 and have been studying Korean on and off for about 10 years now. I wasted a lot of time :lol: but I believe it's never too late to reach your goals!
8 x

Tuckey
Languages: English (N)
French (B2)
German (B2)

Postby Tuckey » Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:30 am

Just starting to 'relearn my French' after letting it go for many years though never advanced much past beginner stage. Really appreciate all the information shared here!
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:40 am

To Searchlike: If you have taught yourself Japanese :o then your study methods should suffice to learn other languages too.

To Sarkey92: maybe you need to structure your studies a little more, for instance by alternating French and Korean days where you stick to one of those languages.

To Tuckey: I didn't study languages seriously for some 25 years (apart from travelling plus those on my TV). When I relearned my Latin I found out that the easy way to do so was to get exactly the same textbook which I had used in the beginning more than forty years before and then progress from there. If that isn't possible then at least try to find some of the texts you read during your first French study period.
5 x

dlt529
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Adv), Portuguese (Intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org//vi ... 15&t=18534

Postby dlt529 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:55 am

Hi everyone, I'm DJ. I've always been interested in language learning, but since the pandemic I started taking it more seriously as a hobby (are hobbies ever serious?). I work as Spanish instructor in a US university, and I also speak some Portuguese. I started studying German during the lockdown but wasn't happy with my approach, so now I'm trying an input-heavy approach to French. Next summer I'd like to take the ACTFL OPI exam in Spanish and Portuguese, and maybe in French if I feel like I've made good progress.
2 x

grayson
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)
Dutch (fluent)
Spanish (false beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18491

Postby grayson » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:21 pm

Hi all! I'm Grayson, originally from the US and living in the Netherlands since 2002. I'm 55, the kids are mostly grown, and I'm on sabbatical after careers as a programmer, a translator, and a writer. I've loved peeling back the mysterious skin of foreign languages since I was a tiny thing, and at last I have the time to fall back headlong into that obsession.

I'm native in English, fluent in Dutch, and currently exploring Spanish, French, German, Russian and Mandarin. Several more lurk enticingly beyond these. I've enjoyed reading the archives here and at the HTLAL forum, and I look forward to becoming part of the community.
10 x

Peekaboo
Languages: English (N). Korean (Upper beginner)).

Postby Peekaboo » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:31 pm

It appears that I'm doomed to be a long hauler when it comes to language learning so I might as well introduce myself.

I began learning (self-teaching) Korean six months ago with my eyes wide open regarding how hard it would be. It turned out to be even harder and slower than I thought. But it has also awoken an inner demon who will not be defeated. I've likely spent an average of three to four hours a day on Korean.

In my life I've never really studied for anything, apart from cramming before tests. Learning in the arts and sciences has come naturally to me, all the way through a PhD program. Foreign languages and music, however, have never been that way. Music has always interested me, and languages have intrigued me, but when taking French in elementary school it seemed pointless and boring. I basically stayed clear of these two things because I didn't wish to put in the effort.

It's taken a long time to get Korean to feel like a language in my head, if that makes sense. It seems every other part of my brain wanted to do the task instead of the language centers. For example, it took a really long time to hear and pronounce foreign syllables, words and phrases, and to chunk them in a natural way. Obviously, I'm not there yet, but I've come a long way.

I've tried a ton of methods looking for the ones that don't bore me and can strengthen my weakness. I've gotten much better at language learning, but I'm no natural, if there is such a thing, that's for sure.

In the end, all it comes down to is time and effort. It comes down to enjoying the challenge. It comes down to grit.
9 x

Dustertail
Languages: English, French (B.A.), Spanish, Relearning Russian

Relearning Russian!

Postby Dustertail » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:59 am

Serpent wrote:Welcome!
Please read the forum rules. (see the FAQ if you have any questions)
If you were active on how-to-learn-any-language.com, please mention your username.
Don't worry if your post doesn't show up immediately, we have to approve it first.
Long-term members are also welcome to introduce themselves, of course.

Hi,

I have a degree in French with minors in Spanish and Russian. I've taught ESL, French and Spanish in New Jersey and California, and am now retired. Sadly, I never found a way to keep up my Russian, and and am now enrolled in Russian 1 at the local community college. The class is being taught by the grammar translation method, which is not my favorite way to learn languages. I had 3 years of Russian, and was able to speak it 50 years ago. Today I find myself remembering lots of words and phrases, but I don't remember the declensions or how to use the words. I would like to be able to speak with the words I know, but my class is not very focused on natural conversation because all oral practice is done with the book open. I cringe when the teacher tells us to "memorize" vocabulary. I prefer to "internalize" vocabulary.

I learned French in high school by the audio lingual method, and was instantly able to use and build on the words and phrases taught in each lesson. Today I found a complete PDF copy of A-LM Russian Level One (Harcourt Brace, and World from the 60's) and was wondering if anyone knows where to find a digitized copy of the audio files that go with the book. That would really help me awaken and put to use the Russian words and phrases floating around in my mind.
3 x

abdullaherenulucan
Languages: Turkish (NATIVE), English (STILL TRYING LEARN FOR 8 YEARS)

Postby abdullaherenulucan » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:19 pm

Hello I'm Abdullah Eren and I'm in 20

Firstly, I don't know anything about forum culture and It's my first time. If i need to introduce myself, I have adhd, dyslexia, social phobia, anxieties, over perfectionist, procrastinating habbit and I haven't any interest. nevertheless I'm trying to live and I wanna be a pollyglot
3 x

JævligFaen
Languages: English (N), Portuguese-PT (B1)

Postby JævligFaen » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:41 pm

Greetings.

I've been a language learner since I was in high school over 10 years ago, but never managed to get fluent in any language I studied.
My experience has included all the common mistakes. I still have some skill in languages I've studied in the past, but I consider myself "starting fresh" with Portuguese, and it's a language I'm very serious about learning to a fluent level.
Since my trouble has always been going from intermediate-level to advanced, I did a lot of research on how to actually improve after reaching an intermediate level. And I think I'm on the right path now.

Hoping to have some interesting discussions here!
3 x

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:16 pm

JævligFaen wrote:Hoping to have some interesting discussions here!

With your name, I guess you can play the devil's advocate in any discussion! ;)
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”