Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
David Pope
Languages: English

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby David Pope » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:30 am

Hello to everyone, I'm David. I apologize ahead of time for the way I might possibly offend someone with my apparent arrogant mindset and my overconfident attitude. I have much to explain, and I hope to eventually find someone that comprehends me. I understand enough to know that the issues of language structures within our brains are far from being understood. In fact, nobody is even close to coming anywhere near the entrance at the east gate. I'm standing here screaming out how to find it, but nobody is listening.

I will be around here and there with some unusual discussions concerning my opinions and experiences for how the Language Acquisition Device does exist, but it has nothing to do with grammatical structures in and of themselves. Rather, it is defined by prosodic boundaries that naturally shape the visual meaning encoded by strings of words into a curved path that allows a very prolonged string of speech production to be partially processed and updated in real time by prosody controlled by the right hemisphere. After a chunk of language has been expressed, a very rapid language acquisition device
activates itself through the right hemisphere’s control and grabs the entire segment of speech as one continuous pattern and visually condenses the prosodic curvatures produced into the sound patterns as the left hemisphere articulated them, and matches the condensed prosodic visual sound patterns into the condensed lens that visually produces the meaning of light contained by those articulated sound patterns. A visually focused series of images is translated from the language into the same motor space traversed by the right hemisphere as it guides the tongue's prosodic curvature. The right hemisphere guides the prosody of speech so that when the meaning has been fully articulated, both hemispheres converge into the node that forms when the 2 hemispheres combine their separate paths of curved motion into one single instant of visual meaning that can be interchanged from dorsal patterns of word forms encoded inside the left hemisphere’s motor intelligence for articulations through the tongue, into an exact pictorial representation held by the ventral pathway as the meaningful content intended by the word form generated by the motor plan. I know this may not make total sense to anybody else, but this will be the focus of my conversations ùntil someone in the world finally knows my model of human language. The motor output of language structures is equivalent in every way to the perceived sensory content that the language symbolizes. Their equivalence can be realized only upon equivalent transformations between the vectors governing the motor output of the tongue's path through the left hemisphere’s Brocas area and the right hemisphere’s homologue that progresses along the same path but from the opposite side and with a much slower rate. I can't prove it, but give me a research team to focus on understanding how I know what I know, and in a few years they will provide the world with the most significant scientific work that brain research has ever produced. It would take about a month, 8 hours a day, every day before a really good team would actually understand how I know what I know, and from there it won't be long before the world begins to understand just how complicated our brains truly are.

I think I get too excited about myself. Trust and believe, rightfully so.
3 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:37 pm

Welcome to the forum, David. You will probably find a few people to engage with here. Have you learned any languages besides English to a high level? Just curious.
4 x

FrenchHero
Languages: French (B2), Spanish (Native), English (C1), Portuguese (Native), German (A0)

Postby FrenchHero » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:41 pm

Hey there. I'm new, as you can tell. Not a native speaker nor from an English country, though!

I've been lurking in this forum for a time, since I've found some comments to be really insightful. I'm currently studying French for work-related reasons (my new employer is French) and I'm also interested in attaning C2 level in English soonish.

I'm also very fluent in both Spanish and Portuguese, so hit me up if you need help with these languages.
8 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:33 am

Kyle B. wrote:Hi there!

My name is Kyle and I'm learning Spanish (trying at least). I started to learn Spanish when I was for six months in Spain with an Erasmus program. When I arrived to Seville, where I lived in my erasmus, I started to think that i didn't know nothing about Spanish. When I come back to England, my Spanish had not improved so much that I expected. This is how I started to study Spanish and now I improve it so much.

You are a university educated native English speaker? What university did you attend?
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

KaseyBear
Languages: English (N)
French (A2)

Postby KaseyBear » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:48 pm

Hi everyone,I`m Kasey
I`m from Sweitzerland. Currently learing russian language
4 x

Hieronymus
Languages: English (N), French (A2), German (B1), Spanish (A1), Latin (beginner), Tagalog (beginner)

Postby Hieronymus » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:54 am

Hello, as you can see from my profile, I have dabbled in various languages throughout my years, but have never really gotten anywhere far. I actually was a member of HTLAL years (although I was mostly a lurker) and actually spruced up my profile on that site before realizing how dead it was.

Right now, I have a somewhat cockamanie idea of trying to learn the big Romance languages (French, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian) to some sort of competency, alongside doing more with Latin. I would also like to improve my German and Tagalog or even try learning Greek (Ancient and Modern) or even Korean, but I feel that I would never get around those, and that the former goal would probably take a good chunk of my (hopefully long) remaining life.

This is all ill-formed day-dreaming right now; currently, I am working on my French and trying to formulate a workable routine that I can implement on a regular basis.
10 x

darren
Languages: English (N), French (B2)

Hello

Postby darren » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:49 pm

Hello everyone,

I just recently found this message board and there seems to be a lot of great discussion and content here - so I wanted to join and take the opportunity to introduce myself.

I started studying French last September. My learning journey started with Duolingo and as a total beginner I found it helpful and convenient. But now I am getting to a level where the app and its gamification just kind of gets in my way. So over the last few months I have been branching out and using other resources: reading articles, reading simple short stories, watching French TV shows and finally taking twice a week hour long "lessons" on Italki. I even created my own learning tool - I'm a software engineer by profession and I built a small website to allow myself to focus on learning the 5000 most frequently used French words. All in all I feel like I have made significant progress in the last few months after I branched out away from simply using Duolingo. From my understanding of the CEFR levels I'm likely at an A2 level, perhaps at the cusp of entering B1 territory, with the language. (I think my listening skills are close to B1, but my speaking is certainly still in A2)

My goals with learning French are primarily travel related: I want to be able to visit France and Quebec in the future and interact, with ease, with the locals that I meet. The "ease" of which I desire fits the description of the B2 level of "Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party." Given where I'm at today, and my intention on averaging around 5 active hours of studying and practice (of which I don't count watching TV), I think that goal will take me likely two more years, or perhaps slightly more.

I'm not the only one in my family on a language learning quest. My youngest son is enrolled in a Spanish Immersion elementary program and has just finished second grade. He is being taught all day long in Spanish, from grades 1 through grades 5. It is fascinating to see how quickly he has progressed with the language.

-Darren
11 x

EvrSnc
Languages: Italian, English, Chinese

Postby EvrSnc » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:39 pm

Hello! I'm an Italian university trying to learn Chinese Mandarin language!
There's still a lot I need to learn about this language, but I'm improving day by day. I'm also working on a thesis project centered around the learning of Chinese, and I may need a help from the Chinese learners here for a survey that I'm conducting! :)

Among the languages I already know there are Italian (native), English and also a bit of French and Spanish.

I hope I will be able to share my journey with you in these forums,

Nico
7 x

niebezpieczenstwo
Languages: I speak Portuguese(native), English and French.
I study Latin, French, German and Russian

Postby niebezpieczenstwo » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:11 pm

Hey!
I'm Leandro. I'm from Brazil. I study languages since 2018: English and French, although I studied English when I was 15 years old as well.
At the moment, I'm studying French, Latin, German, and Russian.
I'm really passionate about languages and linguistics.
My other hobbies include: cooking, watching videos, playing with my cats, running and talking to people...
9 x

cito
Orange Belt
Languages: EN (N) //
FR LT ES
OE EL RU
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17064

Postby cito » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:54 pm

Hey everybody! I'm Cito (key-TOH- hard 't'), I am a university student studying French! My major is English/English literature, but on the side I love to study languages, language acquisition, and linguistics. I 'got into' language learning outside of school through Japanese, though quickly realized I would like to try something similar to my native language (English), first. I have also taken classes on Spanish and Arabic (MSA).

I am really interested in Middle-Eastern/North African languages, and while I am well aware of the fact that they are not all part of the same language families (Arabic/it's dialects being a part of the Afro-Asiatic family, Persian/Urdu being a part of the Indo-European family), I have found that many of the languages I enjoy reading about are from the countries of North Africa and the Middle-East. Egyptian Arabic and Persian especially grab my attention! I also tend to find Romance languages very beautiful, particularly French and Portugese. If I had to choose an ancient tongue to learn, it would probably be Koine Greek, in order to read Greek writings, and also the New Testament (Latin a close second).

So far I have already posted a log which I intend on keeping relatively consistently, will try to put the link in my bio. Many thanks, everyone!
9 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”