Favorite words in a foreign language that don't exist in your native language

General discussion about learning languages
StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Favorite words in a foreign language that don't exist in your native language

Postby StringerBell » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:25 am

Occasionally I learn some new Italian word or expression that doesn't have an English equivalent and I just absolutely love it.

A few days ago, I learned:

il luogo comune (sing) / i luoghi comuni (plural) = commonly accepted concept that’s not necessarily true (it’s something that people keep repeating and believing. More often than not it’s not true or not totally true.)

What's you favorite word or expression that you've learned in another language that doesn't have a literal translation or doesn't really exist in your native language?
1 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

BalancingAct
Orange Belt
Languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, English (Prof.), French (Adv. - Prof.), Italian (Adv.), German (Adv. receptive), Spanish (Int. receptive)

Re: Favorite words in a foreign language that don't exist in your native language

Postby BalancingAct » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:50 am

I find the German word for Big Bang refreshing. I also correctly guessed its meaning at first encounter.

German: der Urknall
Italian: il Big Bang
French: le Big Bang
Chinese: 大爆炸 (literally: big explosion)
1 x

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Re: Favorite words in a foreign language that don't exist in your native language

Postby nooj » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:27 am

We don't say 'a common place' in English? :?:
3 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:33 am

There is a word in Portuguese (also in Galician) called 'Saudade'. It means
"a somewhat melancholic feeling of incompleteness. It is related to thinking back on situations of privation due to the absence of someone or something, to move away from a place or thing, or to the absence of a set of particular and desirable experiences and pleasures once lived"
or
"The famous saudade of the Portuguese is a vague and constant desire for something that does not and probably cannot exist, for something other than the present, a turning towards the past or towards the future; not an active discontent or poignant sadness but an indolent dreaming wistfulness"
Many of my Portuguese-speaking friends are very proud of this word and they have every right to be proud of it :D This might be an interesting read Suadade vs Nostalgia
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:50 am

StringerBell wrote:il luogo comune (sing) / i luoghi comuni (plural) = commonly accepted concept that’s not necessarily true (it’s something that people keep repeating and believing. More often than not it’s not true or not totally true.)

This is a "factoid" in English. "an item of unreliable information that is reported and repeated so often that it becomes accepted as fact."
2 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Schadenfruede
White Belt
Languages: English(N) German(upper beginner) Russian(beginner)

Postby Schadenfruede » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:16 pm

I like the German word Schadenfreude, meaning pleasure caused by another's misfortune. German also has Backpfeifengesicht, which roughly means a face in need of a slap.

On a lighter note, my actual favorite word is the Danish Hygge. It's hard to describe, but imagine a word embodying a feeling of coziness, wellbeing and contentment. Think warmth in the winter, candles, blankets, books, family.
5 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:14 pm

I mostly miss grammatical features in English. I just started learning Indonesian and there are two different words for "we". There is "kita", which includes the person you're talking to (eg, "wasn't it fun when we went to the beach last week?"), and there is also "kami", which does not include the person you're talking to (eg, "It's too bad you weren't there when we went to the beach last week").

I also really like the dual person, which existed in a lot of older languages such as Old English and Norse, Biblical Hebrew, and Ancient Greek, but doesn't seem to have fully survived in many modern languages.

And a real future tense would be nice too. I never thought about this until I started learning French, but English verbs can't inflect to express that they're happening in the future. You need to add a helping word such as "will" or "going to", or using present progressive with context ("tomorrow I am going"). But in French you can just say « J'irai » for "I will go".

Other examples:
« Je rangerai mes affaires », "I will put away my things."
« Tu retourneras », "you will return".
6 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:23 pm

nooj wrote:We don't say 'a common place' in English? :?:

I'm not even sure what this is. I've neither said this myself nor heard or read of this. This is not the same thing.

rdearman wrote:This is a "factoid" in English. "an item of unreliable information that is reported and repeated so often that it becomes accepted as fact."

That is not the meaning of factoid that I'm aware of. I even looked it up just to double-check that I wasn't mistaken. There is a subtle but very important difference between this word and the one I posted about.

From Merriam Webster dictionary:
Definition of factoid

1 : an invented fact believed to be true because it appears in print -> a "luogo comune" does not need to appear in print, it often starts out as something that has some vague basis in reality even if it isn't exactly true (i.e. going outside with wet hair will make you catch a cold)
2 : a briefly stated and usually trivial fact -> this meaning is the only way I ever see or read "factoid" being used, which has nothing to do with "il luogo comune"

***Hey guys, instead of doing your very best to try to prove me wrong that there's some kind of word in English that's the equivalent of the Italian phrase I wrote, how about we all contribute something fun to this thread, which I was hoping would be an enjoyable topic.
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:04 pm

StringerBell wrote:Occasionally I learn some new Italian word or expression that doesn't have an English equivalent and I just absolutely love it.

A few days ago, I learned:

il luogo comune (sing) / i luoghi comuni (plural) = commonly accepted concept that’s not necessarily true (it’s something that people keep repeating and believing. More often than not it’s not true or not totally true.)

What's you favorite word or expression that you've learned in another language that doesn't have a literal translation or doesn't really exist in your native language?

According to Wiktionary, there are a few tidy one-word translations in English of the phrase. I would have gone with "urban legend" for il luogo comune but that's not one word.

I'm amused that the Finns have come up with a colloquial compound to describe the activity of getting drunk at home in your underwear because you can't be bothered to do anything else: kalsarikänni (literally kalsarit "underpants" + känni "drunkenness"). To perform this act, a Finn pulls or leads (vetää) it as in Eilen olin niin masentunut, että vedin kalsarikännit "Yesterday I was so depressed that I stayed home and got drunk in my underwear." ("Yesterday I was so depressed that I pulled underwear-drunkennesses at home.").

For cultural reasons, a kinship term in one language can lack an equally clear/succint translation in another language and may be translated by a phrase or sentence.
1 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:44 pm

Russian --

где же мой убер? Where the heck is my Uber?

Ты же не хочешь проблем. You really don't want to have problems.

Similar to "very" or "really", but shorter, more flexible, more powerful. And if же doesn't count, then компромат.
3 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Return to “General Language Discussion”