Can You Translate This Ancient Greek Words?

General discussion about learning languages
renbur35
Languages: English (B2), Turkish (N), Spanish (Beginner), German (Beginner)

Can You Translate This Ancient Greek Words?

Postby renbur35 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:04 pm

I think, it is Ancient Greek and i wonder what is it mean.
Can you translate for me?
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Re: Can You Translate This Ancient Greek Words?

Postby renaissancemedici » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:42 am

The very last word means most sacred ιερώτατο.

Τω πατρι στρατιωτ?? dative for the father sodier? Γλύκων could be a man's name.

That φλα confuses me greatly but on inscriptions sometimes you find abbreviations (maybe?). Is this the entire inscription and where is it from exactly?
0 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:09 am

renaissancemedici wrote:The very last word means most sacred ιερώτατο... Γλύκων could be a man's name.

I may be way off the mark here, but wasn't Glycon a Macedonian snake god in the early Roman Empire?

renaissancemedici wrote:That φλα confuses me greatly but on inscriptions sometimes you find abbreviations (maybe?)

You could be on to something there...I'm pretty sure I've seen "φλα" inscribed on the front or back of roman coins at the British Museum - perhaps it's an abbreviation of a name (e.g., Flavius , Flavia, Flaccus)?
0 x

renbur35

Postby renbur35 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:54 pm

Thank you everyone.

renaissancemedici wrote:The very last word means most sacred ιερώτατο.

That φλα confuses me greatly but on inscriptions sometimes you find abbreviations (maybe?). Is this the entire inscription and where is it from exactly?

It is from Turkey.

And i have other one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)

Postby renaissancemedici » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:13 pm

Yes, in Turkey, but which archaeological site?
0 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:19 pm

renaissancemedici wrote:The very last word means most sacred ιερώτατο.

I think it continues on the following line as Τω πατρι στρατιωτικω - and then the two last letters seem to be ωρ. Not sure what to do with those, maybe it's another abbreviation, or the text continues on the other side. My best guess would be a past form of the verb ορθοω, "to raise, build", as I imagine the likely meaning is that the son raised this monument in memory of his father.

Teango wrote:
renaissancemedici wrote:The very last word means most sacred ιερώτατο... Γλύκων could be a man's name.

I may be way off the mark here, but wasn't Glycon a Macedonian snake god in the early Roman Empire?

renaissancemedici wrote:That φλα confuses me greatly but on inscriptions sometimes you find abbreviations (maybe?)

You could be on to something there...I'm pretty sure I've seen "φλα" inscribed on the front or back of roman coins at the British Museum - perhaps it's an abbreviation of a name (e.g., Flavius , Flavia, Flaccus)?

Yes, abbrevations are common, and I know I've seen a list of common abbrevations in Greek and/or Roman insctiptions at some point, but unfortunately, I'm sure that list is in a library book, not in one I own or on the web. However, I think your Roman name theory is probably correct. The way to find out for sure would be to get a good book on Greek epigraphy.
0 x

renbur35

Postby renbur35 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:01 pm

renaissancemedici wrote:Yes, in Turkey, but which archaeological site?

İt is from İzmir, Bergama.

Ancient name is Pergamon Kingdom.
0 x

renbur35

Postby renbur35 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:02 pm

İt is more easy than others.
0 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:35 pm

renbur35 wrote:İt is more easy than others.
If anything, you demonstrated that it is not so easy. It looks like you saw some letters there that are not in the Greek alphabet, such as "J", a backwards "S", and a Cyrillic Ю (yu). Deciphering a worn inscription like this takes knowledge and guesswork. There will be stray marks from wear that don't mean anything.

My knowledge of Greek is mostly limited to the alphabet, so unfortunately I won't be much help in deciphering any of these inscriptions.

Also, FYI, it looks like you are using capitol "I" with a dot, which is not used in English. I would guess that if you are typing English with a Turkish keyboard layout, you will need to use different keys to type capitol "I" and lowercase "i".
0 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:31 pm

I wish I knew how you have these things in your possession (if they are in your possession). Pergamon is an wonderful place. Aren't there archaeologists there that could help out?
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”