Why bother learning another language?

General discussion about learning languages
Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Re: Why bother learning another language?

Postby Xenops » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:44 pm

Cavesa wrote:
Thinking of this, I'd say the initial question can be divided in several other questions, if we agree not to include any fun reasons on the list:

1.Are you absolutely sure you'll never have to emigrate?
2.Why bother learning another language and NOT getting a proper certificate proving your level?
3.Are you rich enough to always pay a translator and can you always settle for indirect communication?
4.Do you trust all those information filters around you, giving you just some news, some authors, etc?

I would add:

5. Are you too trusting of the auto-translating technology?
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:01 pm

Cavesa wrote:2.Why bother learning another language and NOT getting a proper certificate proving your level?

Because getting a certificate is a waste of your time and money if you don't have any practical use for it. IMO ;)

Cavesa wrote:4.Do you trust all those information filters around you, giving you just some news, some authors, etc?

You can learn how to deal with any information having learn only your native tongue. It's a separated skill and it has little to do with how much languages one knows.
6 x

Dragon27
Blue Belt
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:14 pm

Xmmm wrote:And this is for a car with no air conditioning, no modern safety features, and it looks a bit unstable actually. And meantime, you can buy a Nissan 370Z coupe for $30000+, in what 4 or 5 hours.

Read books in translation == Nissan 370Z
Read books in original == get to drive "the Prisoner's car" and tell everyone you built it from scratch, just like Drake (or non-Drake) did.

I honestly don't understand this analogy. Professionally made car or boat isn't usually made by one person, it's manufactured in a complex manner on an assembly line, and the result is most probably superior to the product of one enthusiast.

A book is usually translated by one translator (sometimes a team of translators), which results in essentially just a different book. Sometimes quite a different book (a retelling of the original story). And I can't bye translations for the massive amounts of books that haven't been translated yet (or can I... would take quite a time for my order to be completed anyway). I don't need to "construct from scratch" a translation for the book I want to read if I aim to learn the language. I will be able to just read it and understand the book directly, instead of listening to the retelling of the original (which can often be very poorly executed). Like millions of natives do everyday.

These are just completely different things, how can one compare them?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:16 pm

The main reason I asked the question is to see if someone could find a reason not trotted out periodically on the Internet. None of the reasons given would have ever convinced me to start. Now I'm learning 4 languages but I didn't start learning any of them to get a job, or reduce dementia, or read "Harry Potter in the original" or whatever. I started because some poor guy in a ticket booth, in a train station in Italy, couldn't make me understand he didn't have change for the large bill I was attempting to pay with.

I suppose "making social interactions in another country" would be a valid statement for what got me started. But, I tripped up and fell down the slippery slope of language learning.

I_likes_languages wrote:I'm sure you have all discussed the "Why learn a language" question a thousand times, and it was my assumption that rdearman must have had something different in mind when he asked his question.

We have discussed a couple of variants of this question:
Why study languages? <== more about Linguistics than learning a languages.
Would you learn an useless language? <== an emotionally loaded question.

It is easier to sell someone a "sport" as a hobby than to sell an intellectual pursuit. A lot of people have hobbies like painting, music, sport, etc. but only a few of us learn languages. I was really just trying to see if anyone had a new insight into reasons for learning a language.
3 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:57 pm

rdearman wrote:It is easier to sell someone a "sport" as a hobby than to sell an intellectual pursuit. A lot of people have hobbies like painting, music, sport, etc. but only a few of us learn languages. I was really just trying to see if anyone had a new insight into reasons for learning a language.

Languages are just a tool for communication and sharing/receiving information so there hardly could be some really new out of the box reason.
I guess my reason (if I try to generalize it somehow) is a mix of curiosity (curiosities?).
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:18 pm

aaleks wrote:
Cavesa wrote:2.Why bother learning another language and NOT getting a proper certificate proving your level?

Because getting a certificate is a waste of your time and money if you don't have any practical use for it. IMO ;)

Cavesa wrote:4.Do you trust all those information filters around you, giving you just some news, some authors, etc?

You can learn how to deal with any information having learn only your native tongue. It's a separated skill and it has little to do with how much languages one knows.

When you finally have a use for the certificate, it is often too late to wait for an exam date and then for the results. Many opportunities simply don't stay and wait half a year.

And yes, thinking is a separate skill but having sources in various languages definitely helps.
Actually, that is another point to the dependence on the translations problem: lots of "journalists" just take foreign news and translate them, sometimes with mistakes. And yes, those differences matter.

Really, and I was partially joking as I find this thread rather absurd.

We know already what most people think, we know already we are considered fools that waste time that should be put into either earning money and doing sports (this is partially sarcasm, partially sum up of all the rubbish I've heard in my life concerning my language learning hobbies)

Morgana wrote:
rdearman wrote:While there is some evidence language learning helps hold off dementia,
This point always bugs me. I don't fault anyone for repeating it without more detail because it is rarely reported with more detail. The only study (well, articles) I can find that bother to mention if it is lifelong bilingualism vs. bilingualism acquired in adulthood all say that it is lifelong bilingualism, ie. it doesn't apply to people who spoke one language through their childhood and adolescence, ie. most of us. For example, this article from Alzheimers.org. Also this in New Scientist. If anyone knows of a study (or several) that bothered to distinguish these two categories of bilinguals and showed that the protective effect against dementia applies to people who acquired second languages as adults, I would love to know so I can stop being so skeptical :P

The main benefit is learning something new and therefore the overall increase in the amount of synapses. The more synapses there are (which correlates with education), the larger buffer and later onset of the symptoms. Both at the young age and the old, even though the mechanisms are different. Language learning is just an extremely good example. But learning physics, history, or gardening can work similarly. It is not the only protective mechanism, just one of the things you can do, including various healthy life style habits.

It doesn't have to be a language. I was told a nice case example of a botanics professor, whose main symptom was not remembering both the Latin and Czech terminology anymore, always just one or the other. And it bothered her a lot. Well, her objective results could have made a person with lower education barely functional, she fortunately had tons of "extra" synapses. But we might agree that learning a language is often less complicated than becoming a botanist in one's free time.

rdearman wrote:The main reason I asked the question is to see if someone could find a reason not trotted out periodically on the Internet. None of the reasons given would have ever convinced me to start. Now I'm learning 4 languages but I didn't start learning any of them to get a job, or reduce dementia, or read "Harry Potter in the original" or whatever. I started because some poor guy in a ticket booth, in a train station in Italy, couldn't make me understand he didn't have change for the large bill I was attempting to pay with.

I suppose "making social interactions in another country" would be a valid statement for what got me started. But, I tripped up and fell down the slippery slope of language learning.

It is easier to sell someone a "sport" as a hobby than to sell an intellectual pursuit. A lot of people have hobbies like painting, music, sport, etc. but only a few of us learn languages. I was really just trying to see if anyone had a new insight into reasons for learning a language.

to the bolded part: impossible. Everything gets trotted out on the internet. :-D

Reading Harry Potter in original was a thing mostly back when the books were new. When either you switched to the original or you had to wait half a year longer. And I doubt any such widely spread craze will ever happen again :-D

Easier to sell a sport? Well, depends on the person. I hate most sports and I am definitely not the only one. But for some reason, that seems to make me a worse person while hating intellectual hobbies makes one normal. We live in a weird world.

The more I think about it, the less sense I see in using these huge generic reasons anywhere. I'd say language learning is yet another field, where targeted advertising is the logical next step. If you want to convince someone, get to know them and tell them what they need to hear. And we need to accept we will never be the social norm.
5 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:27 pm

rdearman wrote:It is easier to sell someone a "sport" as a hobby than to sell an intellectual pursuit. A lot of people have hobbies like painting, music, sport, etc. but only a few of us learn languages. I was really just trying to see if anyone had a new insight into reasons for learning a language.

Self-actualization. Who do you want to be when you die? What do you want in your obituary?

I want mine to have a paragraph like this:

"In addition to being an expert in mixed martial arts, Xmmm was also fluent in Russian, Italian, Turkish, and two other complicated and exotic languages which we won't bother to mention here. But he was most known for his tireless humanitarian work on the llorg board ..."
16 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:53 pm

Xmmm wrote:

Self-actualization. Who do you want to be when you die? What do you want in your obituary?

I want mine to have a paragraph like this:

"In addition to being an expert in mixed martial arts, Xmmm was also fluent in Russian, Italian, Turkish, and two other complicated and exotic languages which we won't bother to mention here. But he was most known for his tireless humanitarian work on the llorg board ..."

Yay!!! I am not the only weird one thinking like this! :-D :-D :-D
3 x

aaleks
Blue Belt

Postby aaleks » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:22 pm

Cavesa wrote:
aaleks wrote:

When you finally have a use for the certificate, it is often too late to wait for an exam date and then for the results. Many opportunities simply don't stay and wait half a year.

But not everyone is learning languages to put it in some practical use aka job etc. later. For example, for me English is just a hobby like painting, sports, etc for someone else. I have many reasons not to take the exam including the insane price vs a hypothetical possibily that one day I might need that paper. Besides, some of the certificates get expired after some time.
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:48 pm

aaleks wrote:
Cavesa wrote:
aaleks wrote:

But not everyone is learning languages to put it in some practical use aka job etc. later. For example, for me English is just a hobby like painting, sports, etc for someone else. I have many reasons not to take the exam including the insane price vs a hypothetical possibily that one day I might need that paper. Besides, some of the certificates get expired after some time.

:-D But that is the topic of this thread, the arguments for people who WANT those practical uses and don't consider the other reasons valuable at all.

You are trying to convince the wrong person. I already agree with you that there are other great reasons for learning. I was responding in context of this thread.

And there are also differences in what does each learner consider an insane price and what possibilities are just hypothetical, that is highly individual.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”