How do you pronounce LLORG and HTLAL?

General discussion about learning languages
eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Re: How do you pronounce LLORG and HTLAL?

Postby eido » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:22 pm

Axon wrote:['brən 'u:gɫ͡] (which I misread as "Brian Ugle" for at least a year)

[eɪdoʊ] (I have like three competing pronunciations going on here)

I still misread it as Brun Ungle. Now you're going to mess me up further, you *shakes fist* :evil: By the way, I pronounce her name as something like [brun ɘngɘl], with that sound that's not quite a schwa but something else - 'ooi', kind of like Korean '의'.

My username comes from the English word 'eidolon'. Here's a link to how that's pronounced, if you don't know. I often mispronounce it, putting stress on different parts of the word or mixing up vowel sounds. Sometimes I'll pronounce my username like you have it written - in fact, most of the time I do - but others it's 'aido' like in Hokkaido. What other ways did you have in mind?
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:15 pm

Axon wrote:A while ago I wondered about how people might pronounce the different user names on the forum. Here's my transcription of some of the most prolific posters' names. Who's who?
(...)
['aɪvɹ̩sɛn] (but sometimes I do a terrible fake Danish accent in my head and say [i:vəsɛʔ])

I can live with both, but in Danish it is pronounced more along along the lines of your Danish attempt, ie. /i:wɔs(ə)n/ - that is: not with any kind of initial diphtong. I'm however more worried that my name is sometimes spelled with the Swedish -son ending.

Ser wrote:I pronounce them exactly as they're written, i.e. [llorg] and [htlal]. Don't ask me how I am able to pronounce [htl] at the beginning of a word, I just am.

If I had to pronounce ll at the beginning of a word I would probably use /lj/ as in Catalan - which would be wrong since most of the forum in written in English. I trust that Ser can pronounce initial thl-, but if I had to try myself it would sound something like the sound you pronounce if a fly has flown into the back of your throat and you try to hark it out before it reaches your lungs. Maybe such a consonant cluster is possible in Georgian...

Btw. the name of the sun in Slovak is "slnečné", and first I thought it was a spelling error - but no, it ain't...

EDIT: I should have looked it up and not relied on my memory. It means "solar" and not "sun" (thank you to Ser for the correction). But it still looks funny - and "Slnko" is actually an even better example of things that can be pronounced in one language and not in another.
2 x

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:33 pm

eido wrote:My username comes from the English word 'eidolon'. Here's a link to how that's pronounced, if you don't know. I often mispronounce it, putting stress on different parts of the word or mixing up vowel sounds. Sometimes I'll pronounce my username like you have it written - in fact, most of the time I do - but others it's 'aido' like in Hokkaido. What other ways did you have in mind?

Other options include ['ɛdoʊ] and ['aɪdoʊ] and because I mainly know you as a Spanish learner it's sometimes [ei.ðo]
1 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:20 pm

When it comes to my internal reading voice I have the habit of reading almost all acronyms as words rather than sounding out the letters, even when that's not the done thing or doesn't fit English phonotactics. In conversation I wouldn't refer to either of these forums by the acronym, although I've never talked about either of them IRL (I have talked about Unilang, which doesn't have this problem).

[ləlɔː:ɡ]
[htɬæl]
0 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:54 pm

Iversen wrote:Btw. the name of the sun in Slovak is "slnečné", and first I thought it was a spelling error - but no, it ain't...

Slnko (slnečné is the adjective, "solar")...

Interestingly, the L in this position is treated like any other vowel, so it can receive word stress: [ˈsl̩n.kɔ] has two syllables.

https://forvo.com/word/slnko/
0 x

Denzagathist
Yellow Belt
Languages: .
• N: English
• C: German, French, Spanish, Croatian, Greek
• B: Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese
• A: Persian, Mandarin
• Dormant: Dutch, Romanian, Polish

Postby Denzagathist » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:22 pm

Axon wrote:[dɛnzə'gæ:θɪst]
I actually pronounce my username as something like [dɛnˈzægəθɪst]. But given that my username is taken from the names of four cities, the "correct" pronunciation should be [dɛnˈzǎːgaθist].

As for the names of the forums:
HTLAL: [ˈʔeɪtʃ.ti ʔɛ.leɪ.ˈɛɫ] (I spell out the letter names in English, but have said it so many times that it now sounds more like two nonsense words than five distinct letter names)

LLORG: [ʎɔɾɡ]
1 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:57 pm

Llorg = lorg (rhymes with the Borg from Star Trek)
HTLAL = H-T-lal which are pronounced exactly how they look (to anglophone eyes)
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”