Have you noticed any surprising similarities between "unrelated" languages?

General discussion about learning languages
nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Re: Have you noticed any surprising similarities between "unrelated" languages?

Postby nooj » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:53 pm

Word for apple in Korean: 사과 /sagwa/
Word for apple in Basque: sagarra

A Korean lady living in Donostia pointed this out.
1 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Postby devilyoudont » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:41 pm

There's enough random links between Turkish and Japanese that a language family was proposed (Altaic). However, this language family is largely seen as discredited today, because actually, modern forms of the languages are more similar to one another than older forms of the languages. It is possible that these similarities are due to a sprachbund :)

The only random thing I've stumbled across between Japanese and Spanish so far:

見る(miru) (see, look, watch, etc) and mirar (look watch)

With Japanese and Esperanto, it's happened that a lot of grammatical features of Esperanto which are considered difficult for English speakers... I already had high familiarity with because of similar structures existing in Japanese.
1 x

M23
Orange Belt
Languages: Analog languages - English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (n00b). Digital languages- Java (n00b)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2186

Postby M23 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:16 pm

While studying German I keep getting surprised by things every now and then being more similar to Spanish than English. For example, the words for a necktie:

German: Krawatte
Spanish: Corbata
2 x

kulaputra
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)

Postby kulaputra » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Another probable wanderwort: English "mead," Spanish "miel" (and various other IE cognates), and Chinese mì. All from a PIE root meaning "honey."

Chinese "taifeng" and English "typhoon," which is from Greek and not Chinese.

Indian (that is, many/most major languages of India) "sant" (or variations of that) and European "saint/santo/etc." The former is from Proto-Indo-European *h₁sónts ("being," as in the present participle of "be") while the latter is from *seh₂k- (“to sanctify, to make a treaty”).
1 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

Please correct any of my non-native languages, if needed!

DaisyMaisy
Languages: English (N)
Studying Spanish, Swedish, Finnish

Postby DaisyMaisy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:54 pm

One of my favorite language related quotes, from William Jones, who noticed surprising similarities between "unrelated" languages:

Nevertheless, Jones' third annual discourse before the Asiatic Society on the history and culture of the Hindus (delivered on 2 February 1786 and published in 1788) with the famed "philologer" passage is often cited as the beginning of comparative linguistics and Indo-European studies.[13]

The Sanscrit language, whatever be its antiquity, is of a wonderful structure; more perfect than the Greek, more copious than the Latin, and more exquisitely refined than either, yet bearing to both of them a stronger affinity, both in the roots of verbs and the forms of grammar, than could possibly have been produced by accident; so strong indeed, that no philologer could examine them all three, without believing them to have sprung from some common source, which, perhaps, no longer exists; there is a similar reason, though not quite so forcible, for supposing that both the Gothic and the Celtic, though blended with a very different idiom, had the same origin with the Sanscrit; and the old Persian might be added to the same family.
2 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:43 pm

Just today I was thinking about how learning how to roll the letter "R" in one language has directly helped me with my pronunciation in the other language because both Polish and Italian have similar "R" sounds (again, English is the odd man out). I wonder how many other languages have a similar rolled "R" sound (besides Spanish, obviously).
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:30 pm

When I saw this post I instantly thought about Spanish and Arabic...but I don't think it applies because they aren't so "unrelated" after all.

A few examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOe4mkzBdCs
0 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:41 am

Hashimi wrote:
NoManches wrote:When I saw this post I instantly thought about Spanish and Arabic...but I don't think it applies because they aren't so "unrelated" after all.

A few examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOe4mkzBdCs

Spanish and Arabic are unrelated, but if you believe in the theory of Nostratic macrofamily, they may be distantly related.

However, many of the words in that video are recent loanwords from European languages (like pantaloon and blouse).

The only word I don't know its origin is "camisa". It's definitely not a recent loanword, because it's found in ancient Arabic documents including the Quran itself, but as far as I know, there are no equivalents in other semitic languages. Most etymologists say it's from the same Germanic source of the word "hemd". For some reason I find it difficult to accept this etymology.

Cool! Never knew that, thanks for pointing that out.
0 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:35 am

All kinds. I'm the type of person who likes to fit things into "slots" or "types" in my mind, but I also have a very high tolerance for ambiguity and fuzzy definitions.

That means I can make tons of tenuous links between languages even if they share only the barest of resemblances.

Just off the top of my head:
Dutch mooi sounds kinda like Mandarin mei3.
The way German can make long adjective clauses works a lot like Mandarin: Das letztendlich verkaufte Restaurant / 一家刚卖餐厅
The Indonesian word yang is tricky to explain to foreigners who don't have an equivalent - lucky for me, it's virtually identical to English that/which/who.
The Hungarian word for woman, looks vaguely like the Mandarin word for female, nü3.
The English interjection maaaaan.... with a low falling intonation, expressing vague disappointment or wonder, can be transplanted directly into Yunnanese by simply dropping the final -n.
2 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:08 am

I always find it fascinating that the word 'right', meaning: (1) the direction and (2) legal, social, or ethical principles of freedom or entitlement is the same in many languages.

Afrikaans:Jy het nie die reg om hier te wees nie. Draai asseblief regs.
English: You do not have the right to be here. Please turn right.
Spanish: No tienes derecho a estar aquí. Por favor, gira a la derecha.

(I don't speak the following languages. Pulled sentences from reverso contexto)
French: Vous n'avez pas le droit d'être ici. Tournez à droite, s'il vous plaît.
Polish: Nie mają państwo prawa być tutaj obecni. Proszę skręcić w prawo.

Anybody know the reason why?
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”