Non-English translations of the Classics

General discussion about learning languages
kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Non-English translations of the Classics

Postby kanewai » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:53 pm

English has it's share of famous translations of Ovid, Homer, Virgil, and all the other Greek and Latin writers.

Is anyone familiar with any great translations in other languages? Or, are there particular translators who are particularly known?

Depending on what we find, I might be passing on some recommendations to the A Language Learner's Forum Book Club 2018.

My personal interest, at this moment, is to find a good translation of Ovid in Italian. I see a handful on-line, but it's hard to judge the quality. Every single 'preview this book' on Amazon - both in the US and Italy - revert back to the same identical kindle version.
0 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Re: Non-English translations of the Classics

Postby Systematiker » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:07 am

Schleiermacher for Plato in German, for example. With some thought or looking I could probably come up with the long-used standards for other authors. Anything specific?

I mean, that said, just like I eg acknowledge Jowett in English for Plato, if you’re really interested in Plato, Jowett can’t be all you read - mutatis mutandis for Schleiermacher. And likely any of the rest :lol:
1 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Re: Non-English translations of the Classics

Postby aravinda » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:00 am

Les Belles Lettres is well known for the quality of their French translations of the (Ancient Greek and Latin) classics. Les Budés is the more academic collection but they do have a paperback version named Classiques en poche more suitable for the general reader. They publish classical works from other areas of the world too.
https://www.lesbelleslettres.com/collections#
I don't have enough knowledge/experience of Ancient Greek or Latin classics to comment on the merits of individual translations though. By the way, at first, I thought the thread was about translations of classics (meaning the literary canon) from all languages. Gallimard and Le livre de poche are two other big names (for classics in the broader sense of the word).
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”