Intermediate and Advanced use of Anki

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Intermediate and Advanced use of Anki

Postby rdearman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:25 pm

Here are some topics to cover?

• Difference between ankidroid and anki on apple (IOS)
  • Interpreting the graphs. Advanced statistics.
  • Check DB & Check media, when, why, how.
  • Cloze Deletion and making LOTS of cards. For example; how to use regular expression replacement to generate massive amounts of cards.
  • Import & export.
  • Tags, how and why to use them. How to create them. How to filter on them, etc.
  • Plugins, best ones, where to get them, which OS's are supported.
  • Multiple media files in one card? e.g. have two sound files play and you have to select the correct translation.
  • Customisation of CSS/html for cards.
  • creating "hints"
  • lapses
  • gesture usage on smartphones
  • How can I write an "add-on"
  • installing
  • import words from my kindle lookup (add-on)
  • Using anki to memorise multiple lines, like a poem or lyrics to a song?
10 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:53 pm

trui wrote:I'm also glad you started this. :)

I don't like anki. I really don't! Can't stand it even. Sometimes I wish I did and it's a great tool for the people who enjoy it but it's just not for me. Buuut is it really anki that I hate? Anki is just a tool, and a flexible one at that. So many times I've considered making tests for myself with anki that are more complex than the one word or one sentence notes that most people find helpful.

Is this something along the lines of what you're talking about?

Some tools are really not for everyone, there are methods people love that I'd rather chop off my ears before using. Having said that, yes, the idea here is how to go beyond the basic "I create a card with a term and a translation." Add sound? Add engaging images? Use it to test between sound pairs?

rdearman wrote:Here are some topics to cover?

That's a great list!
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:17 pm

• What to do when your file eventually becomes so large that any changes you make (e.g. number of new cards per day, adding/deleting AwesomeTTS feature) will affect thousands of cards and make your file too different from the synchronized backup, and thus impossible to upload...
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:26 pm

From the title I thought this thread would be about using when you're level in the language is intermediate/advanced as opposed to beginner. I use cloze deletion cards now though I wouldn't bother with that format if I was a beginner in the language for obvious reasons. I've blogged about my love for cloze deletion cards for Korean on my blog. I guess I'm advanced since I'm watching korean tv shows. I also love clozed deletion cards for Japanese. here's one example

front:
*** ___うじ ***は一ケ月も前に過ぎ、太陽の南中はこれから当分遅くなる一方なのだ。

(節)気の一。陽暦十二月二十二日ごろ。北半球では、一年じゅうで昼が最も短くなる。

二十四気の一.12月22日ごろ.昼が最も短い日. (対)夏至(げし)
Winter solstice

back:
とうじ

冬至は一ケ月も前に過ぎ、太陽の南中はこれから当分遅くなる一方なのだ。

冬至

For me it's way more effective, fun (uhhh not all the time obviously lol), fast, and easy than the usual sentence on the front and meaning/reading in the back. I've also tried bolding/underline/appending asterisks to the word rather than blanking out but it does not work for me. I need some kinda challenge that's not too taxing. I did a sound deck using sub2srs years ago but have deleted it since it's time-consuming (and not worth it ) and trying to catch stuff out of context is just painful but if I put the text and the audio on the front all I do is read the sentence while hearing the sentence.

What I did was blank out one syllable of the word and put the definitions on the front. The reason it's ___ and not the {c1:}} is because I used excel and rikai-sama to generate the card ( I now generate in official cloze format in excel) . there are many ways to go on about making cloze deletion cards (generating multiple cloze deletion cards, blanking out parts in definition and word, etc) as well as anking in general (you can tweak many settings ie ease interval, steps, max interval, graduation interval, etc)
Last edited by Sayonaroo on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:31 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
  • What to do when your file eventually becomes so large that any changes you make (e.g. number of new cards per day, adding/deleting AwesomeTTS feature) will affect thousands of cards and make your file too different from the synchronized backup, and thus impossible to upload...

Wow! How many cards do you have Jeff?
0 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:32 am

Sayonaroo wrote:From the title I thought this thread would be about using when you're level in the language is intermediate/advanced as opposed to beginner.

That was my interpretation too, so sorry to all if my response was confusing since my Anki usage is quite basic: no new card types (although I modified the Cloze type to show the "extra" as a hint before answering, rather than after), no plugins, no sound or images. As I say though, I'm definitely interested in ideas for tweaking intervals.

On Anki 1, it was possible to set an independent interval multiplier for each answer, for example 1.2 for Hard, 1.5 for Good, 1.8 for Easy. That was perfect for me. Anki 2 (released a few years ago) however tries to be too smart and has an algorithm where the multipliers are calculated automatically; I find that there's never a big enough difference between Hard and Good, especially after the first couple of reps of a card. There's an "Easy bonus" setting but no Hard equivalent, and there's "Interval modifier" but it proportionally modifies all intervals so reducing it just makes the Hard/Good difference even smaller. I was reluctant to switch to version 2 at first, but its close-deletion support is great and the AnkiWeb client (horrible, but handy for adding cards while reading online) and syncing require a recent version.

It would be nice to find a plugin to tweak the intervals, but I've never come across anything like that so I get the feeling it's not possible through the API. Would also consider an alternative app if there's something anything else with the same syncing capability and a way to import my current cards. Obviously I could tweak the source code myself (Python is my day job) but making a custom version and keeping it up to date with upstream changes is far too much effort, especially since I mostly use the mobile version.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:23 am

Adrianslont wrote:Wow! How many cards do you have Jeff?

A lot. (And that was half a year ago!)
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Interval Multiplier

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:53 am

garyb wrote:On Anki 1, it was possible to set an independent interval multiplier for each answer, for example 1.2 for Hard, 1.5 for Good, 1.8 for Easy. That was perfect for me. Anki 2 (released a few years ago) however tries to be too smart and has an algorithm where the multipliers are calculated automatically; I find that there's never a big enough difference between Hard and Good, especially after the first couple of reps of a card. There's an "Easy bonus" setting but no Hard equivalent, and there's "Interval modifier" but it proportionally modifies all intervals so reducing it just makes the Hard/Good difference even smaller. I was reluctant to switch to version 2 at first, but its close-deletion support is great and the AnkiWeb client (horrible, but handy for adding cards while reading online) and syncing require a recent version.

It would be nice to find a plugin to tweak the intervals, but I've never come across anything like that so I get the feeling it's not possible through the API. Would also consider an alternative app if there's something anything else with the same syncing capability and a way to import my current cards. Obviously I could tweak the source code myself (Python is my day job) but making a custom version and keeping it up to date with upstream changes is far too much effort, especially since I mostly use the mobile version.

If you are seeing "hard" and "good" at about the same interval what is your New Card - Starting Ease and Review - Easy Bonus settings?
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:56 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Adrianslont wrote:Wow! How many cards do you have Jeff?

A lot. (And that was half a year ago!)

Back up the media (Anki back-up does not back-up the media library)
The answer to your issue is going to breaking that out to different users and decks.

How many decks do you currently have? One per language?
1 x

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:23 pm

I thought of an intermediate/advanced use of anki that I do.I use an ereader because computer screens cause eye strain and anking requires a lot of reading. The cheapest option I know of is the nook glowlight plus which you have to root before using. Also the nook glowlight plus does not have an audiojack. If you don't want to deal with rooting then look into likebook plus, goodereader, onyx, icarus. The ereader has to be android-based! (the kindle is NOT android-based. It's still really useful for language learning because of its pop-up dictionary)
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”