Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: Why is everyone online so rude?

Postby Cainntear » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:46 pm

Nico546 wrote:I think people are rude online because we don't always realize, behind a screen, that we are dealing with humans :lol:
The other reason might be that internet is seen as an anonymous trash bin where anybody can release its hate and anger
without any fear of being recognized. And they know nothing will happen, so if they are irritated by a comment, they tend to easily insult. (It concerns only the internet, not really this forum).

I do think that it's more often the former, and very rarely the latter. Straight out trolling is not all that common, thankfully, it's just really destructive when it happens.
1 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:19 pm

There is some bluntness and some strong, negative opinion delivered without any "sweetener" here, but most of the time it is very mild compared to some of the places at which I have posted in the past.

Also, is it just me or does a post getting censored make anyone else really curious about what it said?

:lol:
4 x

desitrader
Orange Belt
Languages: .
Native / bilingual: English, Bengali.
Fluent: Hindi.
Learning: German (B2), Italian (A2+), Japanese (A1-), Norwegian (A1-).

Postby desitrader » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:04 pm

If anyone thinks people on this forum are rude, they have lived a very sheltered life and need to get out more.
4 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:24 am

desitrader wrote:If anyone thinks people on this forum are rude, they have lived a very sheltered life and need to get out more.

Oh trust me, as someone who is black, trans, queer, and Jewish I am veeeerry well acquainted with what rudeness looks like. I don't think the majority of people here are rude, but there are a select handful who are.
7 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:20 am

There are a couple of people that will reply to something, and my first reaction is "wow, that's brutal". Reflecting on it, I don't think they mean to be rude: in their point of view, they are just stating the obvious. A scenario I see is something like this:

Person A: I want to do this, but I can't because of ____.
Person B: Then you're not as serious of a language learner as I am.

This might be taken as an insult, or it might be taken as an objective fact: because person A has things in life preventing him from focusing on language, he of course isn't "as serious" as person B, who does not have things preventing his studying.
3 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

William Camden
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (fluent), Turkish (fluent), Russian (fluent), French (semi-fluent), Spanish (semi-fluent), am studying Polish, have some knowledge of it, also studying modern Greek, basic knowledge of Arabic (mostly MSA, some exposure to colloquial dialects), basic knowledge of Latin and Italian, beginner in Scottish Gaelic.

Postby William Camden » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:18 am

tastyonions wrote:There is some bluntness and some strong, negative opinion delivered without any "sweetener" here, but most of the time it is very mild compared to some of the places at which I have posted in the past.

Also, is it just me or does a post getting censored make anyone else really curious about what it said?

:lol:

No. In my experience people rude enough to get censored usually wrote something about another interlocutor's mother, discussed someone else's racial identity or presumed sexuality, expressed admiration for the Third Reich or in the past couple of years have resorted to alt-right glossary items like "snowflake" or "cuck". Human wisdom is not furthered thereby, even if some of these people think they are striking a blow for freedom of expression by saying how much they hate [insert ethnic or religious group here].
I remember on a political discussion list some notoriously obstreperous individual at long last got a six-month suspension after calling someone else a child molester. This forum is pretty mild, even vanilla, in comparison.
1 x
: 4321 / 4321Greek Memrise

Kamlari
Orange Belt

Postby Kamlari » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:48 am

When everyone agrees with me I instantly disagree with myself.
1 x
Frei lebt, wer sterben kann.

J'aime les nuages... les nuages qui passent...
雲は天才である

1. There’s only one rule to rule them all:
There are no Rule(r)s.
2. LISTEN L2, read L1. (Long texts)
3. Pronunciation.
4. Delayed recitation.

Nico546
Languages: French (N), English (C2), Russian (B1)

Postby Nico546 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:54 am

aokoye wrote:
desitrader wrote:If anyone thinks people on this forum are rude, they have lived a very sheltered life and need to get out more.

Oh trust me, as someone who is black, trans, queer, and Jewish I am veeeerry well acquainted with what rudeness looks like. I don't think the majority of people here are rude, but there are a select handful who are.

I don't mean to offense you, but sexuality and religion should stay private, as well as political views.
People you don't trust aren't censed to know anything about these...

Keeping your private life secret will avoid you a lot of disagreements, and it's not only for you. Everybody should keep their private lifes secret.
That's what I do, and nobody can humiliate me or offend me because they don't have any clue on my weaknesses.
Last edited by Nico546 on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:56 am

Nico546 wrote:
aokoye wrote:

I don't mean to offense you, but sexuality and religion should stay private, as well as political views.
People you don't trust aren't censed to know anything about these...

:roll:

Or does :roll: make me rude?
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:07 am

We're going off piste here again. The point was simply to think about the point of view of your readers when you post, and don't assume malicious intent on the part of the poster.
6 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “General Language Discussion”