Memcode

General discussion about learning languages
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Memcode

Postby Ani » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:13 pm

Uncle Roger wrote:Ok, but can you give me an example of a situation in which cloze really brings some advantages? Language learning, not general studies...

Well you seem to be a successful language learner so I'm not intending to tell you what would be more successful for you, or that cloze is better than any of yourself methods (which I know nothing about).

If my goal was verb ending, sentence might be "Les enfants [jou[ent]] au parc" (brackets representing whole or half word cloze).
So first of all, I would have no interest in translating that sentence. The only interesting part is the verb ending that I'm hypothetically practicing. In the time it would take to type "Les enfants ...au parc" í probably could have answered a few more cards.

Additionally, using TL context instead of translating out of native/study language avoids having to put in lots of notes about the desired translation & let's you work with more complex material the would be almost impossible to guess as a direct translation, like long sentences with lots of clauses.

My interest in MCD (massive context cloze deletion) right now is to help with spelling & memorizing TL poetry, but I'm going to try it with a beginner language too as I think liver re-reading the context material will be valuable practice.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:23 pm

Oh and on the bug/non-functional cards issue--

I emailed memcode and they were super responsive. The issue is the difference between an apostrophe and a single quote I guess, or maybe some other barely distinguishable mark, one which is in the ebook I copied my test paragraph from, the other is the only option on my cell phone keyboard.

Hopefully they will merge the two after we discovered the problem. The work around is to retype anything that might use the other character or copy and paste the special character.

Edit: Memcode is going to merge the weird apostrophes. It should be taken care of soon.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:51 pm

Uncle Roger wrote:Cavesa thanks. This memcode seems interesting, but I reckon that, when it comes to SRS for language learning purposes, step change will come from something such as a whole A-to-Z curriculum proofread and signed off by a competent publisher or academic authority. Not by incremental improvements on the Anki formula. Still nice to have, of course!

Except this won't happen. Not in the next decade or more. I am not an optimist here. Even those publishers trying to use digital flashcards (I've seen two or three attempts) create useless crap but for the opposite reasons. Sure, the content is likely to be more complete and precise than in the courses created by individual learners from a mix of resources. But the form suffers. The publishers prefer to have their own platforms made, instead of using the well spread and working ones. And those leave a lot to be desired, such as lack of the SRS mechanism (just dumb flashcards), no app, unfriendly design. It seems to be a somehow foreign idea to them, to just put the wordlist to Anki or Memrise and use it both as a support tool and publicity. Instead, they create their own useless thing.

Also, may I ask people what the fuss is all about with cloze cards/questions when it comes to language studies with flashcards?

Why not ask to translate the whole sentence? Is it because of certain untranslatable qualities of specific elements of certain languages?

It is basically the same thing as the fill in exercises in work books. It is a step in learning, not the whole way.

And one word instead of the whole sentence? This balances out the fact that there are usually various correct solutions to a sentence translation, which is a hell to deal with in a digital tool.

No, it is not about untranslatable stuff. It is about several variants to almost any sentence (except for the extremely simple ones you certainly don't need that SRS for). That is not that much of a problem, when it comes to just the viewing cards, you know whether you are just differently correct or making a mistake. But it is a lot of a problem, when you are typing and want the computer to check for you. Just look at Duolingo to see the catches. This whole "there is another correct answer" issue is a large part of course creation and maintenance there.

I might have created material that might be of cloze nature, say:

ENG: See you in an hour

ITA: Ci vediamo ____ un'ora

and the word to put would be "tra" (whilst you might get tempted to say "in" also in Italian, which would be very wrong)...

But I'd rather ask off myself a full translation of the sentence... It's more work, so it's better for me as a student.

Thanks

Uncle Roger wrote:Ok, but can you give me an example of a situation in which cloze really brings some advantages? Language learning, not general studies...

When I was writing so excitedly about the typing cards, I was not talking about this. I was talking about normal 1 word cards, just with typing instead of just viewing the answer or clicking in a multiple choice exercise, as I find typing much more efficient.

Yes, your example, or Ani's one, are great, so I am confused why you find this so weird. Asking for a preposition is a perfect example actually, as the usual one word translation card tends to be tricky (one preposition in language X usually doesn't equal one preposition in language Y). Such cards can be a good addition to a normal deck and help us deal with the words with similar meaning (I remember getting so many bad grades at school because I couldn't ever get tell/say right just based on the Czech equivalent and similar mistakes). Or the cloze deletion cards could also be very good for practicing noun declinations, and case+preposition or verb+preposition combinations.

There are just as many uses as the learners can imagine. But of course, such cards are not a necessity, almost nothing really is.

About "this is better because it is more work": well, it is often too much work at first. I am all for translation exercises with full sentences. But I think drilling stuff one problem at a time before getting there is a valuable strategy.
2 x

Uncle Roger
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (Native), English (as good as you see me write it here?), Norwegian (C1?), French (B2), Swedish (B1?)

Postby Uncle Roger » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:35 pm

Ok, the case for "whole sentence translation can be dodgy" makes a lot of sense, so thanks.

Cavesa, good to hear your perspective about how behind language learning publishers are...

Food for thought...
1 x
«If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.»
Frank Zappa

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:14 pm

Uncle Roger wrote:Cavesa thanks. This memcode seems interesting, but I reckon that, when it comes to SRS for language learning purposes, step change will come from something such as a whole A-to-Z curriculum proofread and signed off by a competent publisher or academic authority. Not by incremental improvements on the Anki formula. Still nice to have, of course!

Also, may I ask people what the fuss is all about with cloze cards/questions when it comes to language studies with flashcards?

Why not ask to translate the whole sentence? Is it because of certain untranslatable qualities of specific elements of certain languages?

I might have created material that might be of cloze nature, say:

ENG: See you in an hour

ITA: Ci vediamo ____ un'ora

and the word to put would be "tra" (whilst you might get tempted to say "in" also in Italian, which would be very wrong)...

But I'd rather ask off myself a full translation of the sentence... It's more work, so it's better for me as a student.

Thanks

I don’t make cloze cards like that. I don’t use my native language - I only use my target language.

Benefits? I get practice with grammar and collocations that you don’t get with single words. And it isn’t a translation exercise like your style of card - not that translation is necessarily bad.
0 x

Uncle Roger
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (Native), English (as good as you see me write it here?), Norwegian (C1?), French (B2), Swedish (B1?)

Postby Uncle Roger » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:39 pm

Well, I never made a case for single word learning to be superior to cloze, but I see what you mean.

I still find it more natural to translate whole sentences rather than filling in a gap. I feel that, in the end, you speak in sentences. It must be because my focus has been on Scandinavian languages as of late and word-by-word translation from English can apply most of the time...

But thanks, I understand cloze better now.
1 x
«If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.»
Frank Zappa

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:59 pm

Uncle Roger wrote:Well, I never made a case for single word learning to be superior to cloze, but I see what you mean.

I still find it more natural to translate whole sentences rather than filling in a gap. I feel that, in the end, you speak in sentences. It must be because my focus has been on Scandinavian languages as of late and word-by-word translation from English can apply most of the time...

But thanks, I understand cloze better now.

In the end, we don't translate. All these kinds of exercises are just steps that can help us from zero to that point. None of them can teach you everything. They can just help you divide the path in steps that are manageable for you.
1 x

Uncle Roger
Orange Belt

Postby Uncle Roger » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:02 am

I'd disagree on the "we don't translate". If you are studying Scandinavian languages starting form English, word by word translation can help a lot and give a lot of safe ground to the students. Plus I'd rather have the learner start to think whole sentences asap rather than learn to fill gaps, because the former is closer to what you need in real life language use.
But yes, manageable steps and variety are important, too.
0 x
Frank Zappa

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:50 pm

Uncle Roger wrote:I'd disagree on the "we don't translate". If you are studying Scandinavian languages starting form English, word by word translation can help a lot and give a lot of safe ground to the students. Plus I'd rather have the learner start to think whole sentences asap rather than learn to fill gaps, because the former is closer to what you need in real life language use.
But yes, manageable steps and variety are important, too.

You're absolutely right that translation is closer to the real life. But I think you underestimate the fact that some languages have tons of conjugations, declinations, and other stuff that varies a lot from English, therefore the fill in exercises are a much more useful middle step there than in the Scandinavian languages. They allow us to focus on just one thing at once instead of plenty, get more used to it, and then complicate stuff.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:05 pm

just an aside on Anki.

It's relatively easy to make typing cards in Anki - you can do a full deck of typing cards just by setting up the card types or use conditionals or just write your answers and you decide if you are right or wrong.

If you want a deck that only has some cards that are typed, you can set that as a third card type or use conditionals.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “General Language Discussion”