Memcode

General discussion about learning languages
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Memcode

Postby Ani » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:46 pm

zenmonkey wrote:just an aside on Anki.

It's relatively easy to make typing cards in Anki - you can do a full deck of typing cards just by setting up the card types or use conditionals or just write your answers and you decide if you are right or wrong.

If you want a deck that only has some cards that are typed, you can set that as a third card type or use conditionals.

It isn't easy to make cloze cards from android. You have to manually type each cloze {{c1:: ...}} Afaik... And don't even know if it's possible to set up the card type like that video from ankidroid. It kind of stinks that even with all of its popularity, ankidroid still isn't a fully functional app.
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:11 pm

Making anki cards on ankidroid is a just a time consuming waste of time. Install the desktop version and after you've made cards synchronise them.
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:41 am

rdearman wrote:Making anki cards on ankidroid is a just a time consuming waste of time. Install the desktop version and after you've made cards synchronise them.

That might probably work.. but I've been burned badly by synchronizing decks before. It was about 5 years ago and 3 years ago separately, so hopefully it's better now but I'm not confident. I suppose if I made a full deck and just synchronized it once? It's just kind of heart breaking to have a corrupted deck.
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:58 am

Ani wrote:
rdearman wrote:Making anki cards on ankidroid is a just a time consuming waste of time. Install the desktop version and after you've made cards synchronise them.

That might probably work.. but I've been burned badly by synchronizing decks before. It was about 5 years ago and 3 years ago separately, so hopefully it's better now but I'm not confident. I suppose if I made a full deck and just synchronized it once? It's just kind of heart breaking to have a corrupted deck.

Actually backing up is one of the things I use the desktop version for! Every month I have a reminder in my calendar to "export cards". So I log into the desktop version and export all my cards with sequence to the hard drive in case it all goes wrong. I also do this prior to any major change like uploading a new deck with lots of media. It has helped me to recover once with the synchronisation didn't happen properly and lost most of the audio files. I just deleted everything and imported all my exported backups then re-synced everything.

It is annoying they don't have a "backup" option, but the export function will work that way if you want.
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:07 am

rdearman wrote:
Ani wrote:

Actually backing up is one of the things I use the desktop version for! Every month I have a reminder in my calendar to "export cards". So I log into the desktop version and export all my cards with sequence to the hard drive in case it all goes wrong. I also do this prior to any major change like uploading a new deck with lots of media. It has helped me to recover once with the synchronisation didn't happen properly and lost most of the audio files. I just deleted everything and imported all my exported backups then re-synced everything.

It is annoying they don't have a "backup" option, but the export function will work that way if you want.

Maybe I’m mistaken, and I’m thousands of km away from my pc at the moment so I can’t check but I thought anki did backup automatically on pc? And doesn’t all of your audio still just exist in your media folder anyway? And I always keep a copy of all media separate from that folder.

Happily, i have no experience of corrupted decks - i just thought it wouldn’t be too big a deal if things did go wrong. I guess I’m writing this in order that I may be enlightened by someone!
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:29 pm

Well. That should save me some time!
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:45 pm

I've found new uses for Memcode. It solves my problem with too long Anki cards, I turn them into cloze deletion with several frames. True, you could say tools like readlang already do this too and you would be right!
Also, I like the window for typing for the classical cards, where you compare the answers yourself.

To the "it falsely corrects my good answer as wrong" bug: I've encountered it, sent in a bug report and also found a solution for some of the cards (not all):
1.be careful whether there are not some unnecessary spaces in the answer frame, for example at the beginning of the word. I fixed a few cards by removing those. The frames can sometimes be a bit tricky to place, especially if you change the text of the card later.
2.the typing window at the classical cards is great, I can still get the writing exercise (without having to fit a paper and pen on the table with the computer), correct it, and rate myself.
3.The Memcode creator has answered! A part of the problem may be copying the text instead of typing. So, I am retyping the word in the problematic cards, perhaps it will help. Or the problem may be using different keyboards and therefore slightly different characters.
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:21 pm

add to the list: the memcode creator is a saint, who has responded wonderfully to my questions. Now I am bothering her again as I cannot log in in another window with my account. Let's see how it goes. I've spent a few hours on a deck and I cannot afford to lose it. I hope she won't mind too much and I'll do my best not to be bother her from now on.

I am really nervous as the cloze deletion cards may have just revolutionised my studies.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”