20th Century Way of Learning Ancient Greek

General discussion about learning languages
Johannes
Languages: English (N), Latin (intermediate), Ancient Greek (beginner), Russian (beginner), Modern Greek (beginner)

20th Century Way of Learning Ancient Greek

Postby Johannes » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:22 pm

I found this at the back of a copy of the Epitome Sacrae Historiae. There was an institute called Dr. Comstock's Vocal and Polyglott Gymnasium in Philadelphia. According to this institute: t"he Ancient Greek is taught according to the system adopted in the University of Otho, at Athens. By this method both the ancient and modern dialects are acquired at the same time. This plan is now used in the Universities of Germany." Would anyone happen to know what such a curriculum looked like? It sounds pretty intriguing to me.
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: 20th Century Way of Learning Ancient Greek

Postby reineke » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:14 pm

"Now" = 1845.

The Othonian University was renamed to National University in 1862 after King Otto was forced to leave the country.

Elocution taught, stammering cured : Dr. Comstock's vocal gymnasium
https://archive.org/details/elocutiontaughts03coms

"No one can become a pupil in the Vocal Gymnasium, who spits on the floor, or is not otherwise cleanly in his habit."
1 x

kulaputra
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)

Re: 20th Century Way of Learning Ancient Greek

Postby kulaputra » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:01 am

reineke wrote:"No one can become a pupil in the Vocal Gymnasium, who spits on the floor, or is not otherwise cleanly in his habit."

Damn, there go all my hopes of becoming a vocal gymnast! hwack-choo
0 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

Please correct any of my non-native languages, if needed!

Return to “General Language Discussion”