How are you guys setting up/breaking up your SRS decks?

General discussion about learning languages
80Percent
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish A2 (Done for now). Mandarin A1.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8270

How are you guys setting up/breaking up your SRS decks?

Postby 80Percent » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:40 pm

So far I have a deck of 50 but it will grow into 1,000's. How are you guys breaking up the decks, by topic? by number of cards? by time frame? or not at all and just keep one running deck since the SRS app knows which ones need studying or not.
0 x
杰西

Glossy
Yellow Belt
Languages: Russian (native), English (almost native), French (reading: fluent, listening: intermediate, speaking: none), Spanish (reading: fluent, listening: upper intermediate, speaking: none), Mandarin (reading characters: intermediate, actively learning, listening: intermediate, actively learning, speaking: none), German (reading: upper intermediate, listening: none, speaking: none)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7920

Re: How are you guys setting up/breaking up your SRS decks?

Postby Glossy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:22 pm

I have two Anki decks. One is a general deck that has about 23,000 cards. It took me about 10 years to amass those. The other one is strictly for the pronunciation of Chinese characters. It has about 2,800 cards.

I've organized the big deck with tags. German cards are tagged as de, French ones as fr, etc. These tags help me run my own Anki stats, as shown here:

https://lazyglossophiliac.blogspot.com/p/anki-stats.html

I see no good reason to have more than one deck, at least not for the kind of study that I do. It somehow turned out that I have two of them, but that neither helps not hurts.

I've written about my experiences with Anki here:

https://lazyglossophiliac.blogspot.com/2015/07/anki.html
1 x
Mandarin listening comprehension, hours: 1522 / 5000 (1,522/5,000)

80Percent
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish A2 (Done for now). Mandarin A1.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8270

Postby 80Percent » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:58 pm

Ahhh, it is music to my ears that I can just keep adding to 1 deck. Hallelujah.

Tai4 bang4 le and xie4xie4
0 x
杰西

Uncle Roger
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (Native), English (as good as you see me write it here?), Norwegian (C1?), French (B2), Swedish (B1?)

Postby Uncle Roger » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:08 pm

Speaking of Ankidroid. No reason to break up into many decks other than that of splitting the daily content into various sessions (e.g. morning session and afternoon session). The reason, for me, is that you need a critical mass of cards (specifically, reviews from previous days) to fill in the longer graduation intervals for new or lapsed cards (e.g. the 5, 10 or maybe 15 minute intervals).

A bigger deck, single deck will be able to actually make sure you see that card really in 10 minutes rather than in 2, because you'll have more chances to have "green reviews" in between. The alternative is to just wait for those 10 minutes to pass, but that's quite annoying IMO.

For the same reason, I always make sure that new cards come first and reviews come afterwards.

In theory, it would be nice to have as many decks as you want and that Anki offered a general "session" across all decks, picking the new cards from any decks that have any and the reviews from the previous days just the same. But the design is to study "by deck".

But basically, if the decks are big enough, you can have many. I find it hard to anki more than 30 mins in a row, so anything that can provide 2-3 30 mins sessions throughout the day is welcome.
2 x
«If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.»
Frank Zappa

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:33 pm

I don't use Anki anymore but when I did, I preferred to have everything in one deck. If I broke my Spanish deck into different topics I felt like I knew what to expect depending on what deck I was working with.

If you are going to use Anki, throw everything for each language into 1 giant deck and call it done. That's my recommendation at least
1 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:08 pm

I delete everything and start over every once in a while. If I can remember a word after 15 days I will probably know it for a very long time and there is no need to further reviewing, for if the word has a frequency that makes it worthy of learning, I'm sure to encouter it again and again over time, and if I perchance forget it, I will add it again as it were new.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:33 pm

Uncle Roger wrote:
In theory, it would be nice to have as many decks as you want and that Anki offered a general "session" across all decks, picking the new cards from any decks that have any and the reviews from the previous days just the same. But the design is to study "by deck".

You know anki supports decks with subdecks right? So you can have multiple decks kept separate but reviewed together.
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:15 pm

One deck per language. Some have the AwesomeTTS plugin plus an extra field.
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Uncle Roger
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (Native), English (as good as you see me write it here?), Norwegian (C1?), French (B2), Swedish (B1?)

Postby Uncle Roger » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:55 am

rdearman wrote:
Uncle Roger wrote:

You know anki supports decks with subdecks right? So you can have multiple decks kept separate but reviewed together.

!!!

How does that work? Thanks
0 x
«If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.»
Frank Zappa

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:01 am

Uncle Roger wrote:
rdearman wrote:
Uncle Roger wrote:

!!!

How does that work? Thanks

For example I created an empty French deck, then dragged and dropped all my French decks on top of it. Then review the top level deck and anki will select from the sub decks.

Hard to explain, easy to do.
5 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “General Language Discussion”