It's tonight: European song festival for regional and minority languages

General discussion about learning languages
Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

It's tonight: European song festival for regional and minority languages

Postby Ogrim » Wed May 23, 2018 11:49 am

Tonight (European time) Liet International takes place in Leeuwarden-Ljouwert, Friesland, in the north of the Netherlands. Liet International is the European song festival for regional and minority languages. As you can see from this page, there will be 14 acts in thirteen different languages (Galician is represented with two songs). Some people call this the anti-Eurovision, as English lyrics are prohibited (although ironically the website is in English).

Unfortunately, and unlike the Eurovision Song Contest, European media don't seem very interested. I have not been able to find any TV station which transmits the show, and the website gives no indication about live streaming of the event. It is a pity that they don't do more to promote this festival to a large audience. I'd love to be there!

You can find some videos from previous events here on Youtube.

Edit: I've made a mistake, there are also two songs in Frisian, so that means there are 12 different languages.
8 x
Ich grolle nicht

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Re: It's tonight: European song festival for regional and minority languages

Postby nooj » Wed May 23, 2018 1:19 pm

Well I think the website is in Frisian, Dutch and English.

Now for some really cringe worthy reporting, see:

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/culture/mus ... 64481.html

I mean they report on a festival for minoritised and regional languages...and they use the words 'patois' and 'dialecte'. Ils se foutent de ma gueule ?

French media reporting on minoritised languages is such trash.

I sincerely hope that they will make live streaming available for next year!
0 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Re: It's tonight: European song festival for regional and minority languages

Postby Ogrim » Thu May 24, 2018 6:53 am

The festival was actually streamed live on Liet International's facebook page, but it wasn't announced on the website until very late in the afternoon so I missed that when I wrote my post. Anyway, the recording is available and you can watch it here.
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

Return to “General Language Discussion”