Expanding out and learning other varieties of the same language

General discussion about learning languages
Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Re: Expanding out and learning other varieties of the same language

Postby Chung » Wed May 23, 2018 9:25 pm

nooj wrote:[...]
Next, there is just the plain pleasure of doing so. After all many of us learn languages because it is fun. If you expose yourself to Alsacian French, you get the great joy of listening to Alsacian music, Alsacian theatre (and perhaps even Alsacian language). If you expose yourself to French spoken in Brittany, there is a rich resource of things there as well. If that means going to the inter Celtic festival of Lorient in order to get exposed to the French of the Bretons, awesome! If you expose yourself to French spoken in New Caledonia, likewise. It's harder to expose yourself to these varieties of French within France rather than the typical one that most media use, it's true, but it's worth the investment.
(N.B. bolding by me)

You've hit the nail on the head, but immediately forget that for me and several others there's no pleasure in taking in material or using anything that doesn't interest us or tie to an obvious professional/economic/social requirement. It follows that it's not worth the investment. Let's put it another way: your delight in taking in material in several variants of French doesn't erase or subordinate my enjoyment of Molière or Zaz. The converse is also true. Trying to guilt me into reading "real" Belgian stuff other than Tintin or watch "real" Québecois programs beyond "L'Gros Show" sounds rather like linguistic hipsterism where my worth as a language learner is strongly proportional to the obscurity or rarity of the material (or language) that I'm studying or just taking in. If that's the case then I'm cool being a sauvage in French so long as I can keep improving my Finnish, German and Italian (and somehow get back to Hungarian, Polish and Slovak).

You're starting to remind me of one of my English teachers from high school. She made sure to fly the diversity flag by setting a reading list that took in texts from anywhere in the Anglosphere. In addition to the usual Shakespeare, I remember her assigning "The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz" as the Canadian stand-in, "The Dragon Can't Dance" as the Trinidadian stand-in, and "Jane Eyre" as a British (and feminist) stand-in. All interesting choices, and could make some in the politically-correct crowd swoon. Yet what still sticks for me after all this time is Shakespeare; stuff from one of the DWG. Draw your own conclusions.
6 x

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Thu May 24, 2018 12:08 am

Chung wrote:
nooj wrote:[...]
Next, there is just the plain pleasure of doing so. After all many of us learn languages because it is fun. If you expose yourself to Alsacian French, you get the great joy of listening to Alsacian music, Alsacian theatre (and perhaps even Alsacian language). If you expose yourself to French spoken in Brittany, there is a rich resource of things there as well. If that means going to the inter Celtic festival of Lorient in order to get exposed to the French of the Bretons, awesome! If you expose yourself to French spoken in New Caledonia, likewise. It's harder to expose yourself to these varieties of French within France rather than the typical one that most media use, it's true, but it's worth the investment.
(N.B. bolding by me)

You've hit the nail on the head, but immediately forget that for me and several others there's no pleasure in taking in material or using anything that doesn't interest us or tie to an obvious professional/economic/social requirement.

I wrote specifically: After all many of us learn languages because it is fun.

I wrote many, because I know many does not mean all.

Because I know many people learn languages because they have to, for employment or other reasons.

Chung wrote:It follows that it's not worth the investment. Let's put it another way: your delight in taking in material in several variants of French doesn't erase or subordinate my enjoyment of Molière or Zaz. The converse is also true.
Good.

Trying to guilt me into reading "real" Belgian stuff other than Tintin or watch "real" Québecois programs beyond "L'Gros Show" sounds rather like linguistic hipsterism where my worth as a language learner is strongly proportional to the obscurity or rarity of the material (or language) that I'm studying or just taking in. If that's the case then I'm cool being a sauvage in French so long as I can keep improving my Finnish, German and Italian (and somehow get back to Hungarian, Polish and Slovak).
No, it is not the case. I never said anything about 'real' material, setting up an opposition to 'fake' material. Language learning + language media (e.g. French national media) simply privileges some kinds of French over other kinds of French. They're all real kinds of French.

In fact, it is actually the dominant discourse that I am opposed to that sets up this false opposition. Those people are far more likely to call other varieties of French than the standard 'deviant' or 'corrupt'. C'est pas du français is not something you will ever hear leaving my lips. It is however something you will hear from those stalwarts of the language who complain that the youth speak French terribly nowdays, that Anglicisms are ruining the language, who would never allow a man or woman from the banlieue report the nightly news...

Chung wrote:You're starting to remind me of one of my English teachers from high school. She made sure to fly the diversity flag by setting a reading list that took in texts from anywhere in the Anglosphere. In addition to the usual Shakespeare, I remember her assigning "The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz" as the Canadian stand-in, "The Dragon Can't Dance" as the Trinidadian stand-in, and "Jane Eyre" as a British (and feminist) stand-in. All interesting choices, and could make some in the politically-correct crowd swoon. Yet what still sticks for me after all this time is Shakespeare; stuff from one of the DWG. Draw your own conclusions.

I'm not sure what your point is there. I would certainly encourage English learners to broaden their vision. Shakespeare is my shit - but I'm not going to tell people that they should only read/listen/watch Shakespeare. The point is to tell students that there is a whole, wide, vast world out there, with a Canon that is considered by many to form the centrepiece (and also contested by many others). Interestingly enough, the modern English canon usually includes Jane Eyre.

I like the classics. In fact I love classical literature. Maybe you think that I am some person who likes to burn down Western Civilisation and stand on its ashes. But I have a degree in Ancient Greek to my name because one day I was sitting in Latin class and I read a Latin translation of a Sappho poem and decided I had to learn Ancient Greek in order to read her.

What I see in my Classics friends (who later went on to become Classics academics) is also a deep love for modernity as well. It is not the case that people who study Classics are all ultra-conservative, tweed-wearing, bow-tie wearing people. I think you'd be surprised to meet them and see that they do not decry 'politically-correct' people. You'd probably find that they ARE the politically correct, feminist, gay, culturally diverse people...and their work is better for it. Classical studies is flourishing and inter-disciplinary is the key word. In the last 20 years, we have gotten far further in understanding ancient sexuality in Rome and Greece than in all the past 300 years of bowlderising and puritanical censoring.
Last edited by nooj on Thu May 24, 2018 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Thu May 24, 2018 12:22 am

I think I’m hearing you - now. If you’re feeling like we have missed your point and are criticizing not-you, well, that’s what I was trying to say, it was coming off as linguistic hipsterism (I liked that phrase!) with a side of axe-to-grind (and I’ve got a thought about that too but it’ll get too far afield). Very cool that it’s not.

And, because it’s out there, I like my tweeds and my bow ties :D :D
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu May 24, 2018 12:42 am

nooj wrote: ... As for French, I can speak from my experience and based on the experience of other French learners I have personally met and the dozens I have interacted with online when I say that learners OFTEN do not expose themselves to French other than that of France. I did not say all learners (and I challenge you to find the post where I said that all learners are like this!), for example the Australian woman who chose to go to Quebec and chose to learn Quebec French.
nooj wrote: ... This is an attitudinal problem more than anything, and I suspect it is at the root of why French people have more trouble understanding Quebec people than the other way around, because the Quebecois are more exposed to European French through media than vice versa. It is a self-enforced restriction in other words. How many varieties of French do you hear on French national television or on French radio? Heck, how many varieties of French French do you hear? I can tell you, not many... Now what about a variety that is more different than Belgian French is from French French, such as Quebec French? Only exposing yourself to a variety from Europe might make it difficult to access material from Quebec - what does c'est plate mean? Why are these people adding -tu to their yes-no questions? This can lead to two reactions: discouragement and disengagement from this material, or the desire to learn more about this variety...
Nooj, in my opinion, you are over-stating the differences between Quebec French and the other variants of the French language, most particularly in terms of pronunciation and structure with that spoken in Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East.

Over the past thirty years, I have encountered literally hundreds upon hundreds of immigrants to Quebec from France, Lebanon, Switzerland, Algeria, Haiti, and the greater Francophonie, employed in government, in the professions, in business, in retail, and in commercial positions at every imaginable level (irrespective of the time that has passed since their arrival, the “first generation adult non-Québécois Francophones” can be identified immediately by their accents).

Whatever their origins and their current line of work, I have often engaged these linguistic cousins in a brief conservation by first remarking on their charming accent, by pointing out my own accent despite my 30-year presence in the province, and then by asking them how long they’ve been here, what prompted their decision to immigrate, how they adjusted to the climate and the culture and, finally, what linguistic difficulties they experienced either upon their arrival or subsequently.

Without exception, these Francophone cousins all found that Québécois French, despite the differences in pronunciation from their own variant, was perfectly understandable to them. They added that most idiomatic expressions unique to Quebec were quite transparent as to their meaning but that, occasionally, some of these required a bit of explanation. They often noted that the Québécois sense of humour (something which I would describe as being more American in flavour) differed from that of their homeland but that the Québécois manner of cursing (which is most often exemplified by blasphemous utterances) required some acclimation. In other words, in normal conversation, Francophone immigrants to Quebec find no significant differences between “their variant” and the “Québécois variant”.

When I pressed my interlocutors on the differences in pronunciation, very often, they commented that they found the Québécois accent quite charming but that it posed absolutely no barrier to comprehension. Well into the conversation, some of them inquired as to how I was able to distinguish their accent from that of the Québécois locals (they mistakenly believed that they had lost their accent), particularly given that I speak with a noticeable accent myself, saying something like “to my ears, you sound like a Québécois, but then again, there’s something about your pronunciation that is slightly off, not always, just a syllable here-and-there.” Ya, tell me about it!

nooj wrote: ... the Quebecois are more exposed to European French through media than vice versa...
While this is true, it ignores the fact that the average Québécois is more likely to watch either locally-produced French-language films and TV programmes or dubbed versions of American products. French-language media "Made in Quebec" are omnipresent and they are quite self-sufficient. The presence and influence of European French-language TV programming, films, magazines and other publications are actually quite marginal and they respond to the tastes of a very specific, cosmopolitain clientele. In other words, the average Québécois has surprisingly little exposure to French-language media from outside of the province; however, this does not impair their ability to understand non-Québécois Francophones.

EDITED:
Tinkering, just tinkering.
Last edited by Speakeasy on Thu May 24, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
6 x

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Thu May 24, 2018 1:03 am

I agree with you. I mean even I can understand most Quebecois media without much fuss. And I've personally talked to Quebecois people and that has gone fine. Those intermediate -> advanced -> native speakers don't seem to have much of a problem, although I have heard from French people, even living in Quebec, that some people remained opaque to them. I've even seen French media that subtitles people from Quebec or from other places in Canada. For example I was watching a French travel show that went to Acadie and they subtitled several Acadians. I mean they also do that with many Africans as well! I find that perfectly absurd.

However I would like to point out that I was talking in those posts specifically about learners/beginners. For them I think it would pose them more of a problem. To draw a comparison from another language, I rarely hear native speakers of Spanish talk about not understanding people from other countries, but I hear learners/beginners do this often. E.g. I learned Mexican Spanish, why can't I understand Cubans or Dominicans etc. Well the answer inevitably comes down to exposure...what variety of language do you expose yourself to etc etc. If French people listened to more Quebecois music, watched more Quebecois TV shows, read more Quebecois literature etc, you would have a more perfect (Francophone) union. :D
3 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Thu May 24, 2018 3:38 am

I enjoy dabbling in different varieties of the languages I learn. With one exception, this has been driven by pure interest rather than necessity - and, if I'm being harsh on myself, a way to avoid becoming truly advanced in any one language.

I really enjoy understanding other languages. I'll always take listening over reading as a passive activity. Because of that and because of the very diverse groups of people I've met over the course of my life, I do tend to look for listening material from wherever that language is spoken. And if I have some personal connection to a certain non-standard variety, I feel much more drawn to it.

As an example, I'm doing the 6WC for Cantonese and I'm almost avoiding material from young, hip Hong Kongers. Part of this is because I know I'm going to be traveling to Guangzhou, but the other part is that I've simply met far more Cantonese speakers in my life that were from Guangdong or Vietnam or some other part of the Cantonese diaspora. In some way, watching classic Hong Kong movies, Cantonese vlogs from overseas Chinese, and documentaries from Guangzhou feels closer to my personal experience of the language.

I also find it to be a quick way to challenge myself on vocabulary, by the way - if I can understand Mexican radio but not Chilean, it's probably time for me to try reading some Chilean websites and take a look at what common words I might be missing. At the same time, though, I really admire the approach of NoManches to stick closely to Mexican Spanish and learn it as deeply as possible. That's something I've never done and it's impressive.
0 x

aabram
Orange Belt
Languages: Active: Estonian (N), English, Russian, Finnish
Passive: French, Spanish
In-between: Mandarin
Hit list: Lithuanian

Postby aabram » Thu May 24, 2018 9:14 am

Ani wrote:I heard a girl speak in a video once, she had learned English and mixed American, Australian and British words and vowels. I rarely have issue with foreign accents but that was one of the most bizzare things I've heard.

Ooh, welcome to my world. At school they taught us "British" English but of course the exposure of the teachers to british media was limited during soviet times, so it was what it was. So I picked up basics from that. Then I went to the US and picked the rest up there. Now I'm extensively watching Australian (with occasional Kiwi thrown in) shows so I pick bits and pieces from them as well, there must be certain things I've only heard spoken the Aussie way and they've probably stuck with me. I'm pretty sure my English is mishmash of English varieties mixed with (hopefully not that thick) Estonian accent so yeah, that's the best I can do.
4 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Thu May 24, 2018 10:13 am

aabram wrote:
Ani wrote:I heard a girl speak in a video once, she had learned English and mixed American, Australian and British words and vowels. I rarely have issue with foreign accents but that was one of the most bizzare things I've heard.

Ooh, welcome to my world. At school they taught us "British" English but of course the exposure of the teachers to british media was limited during soviet times, so it was what it was. So I picked up basics from that. Then I went to the US and picked the rest up there. Now I'm extensively watching Australian (with occasional Kiwi thrown in) shows so I pick bits and pieces from them as well, there must be certain things I've only heard spoken the Aussie way and they've probably stuck with me. I'm pretty sure my English is mishmash of English varieties mixed with (hopefully not that thick) Estonian accent so yeah, that's the best I can do.

Hi aabram, I’m Australian and I have a couple of questions: which Australian and Kiwi shows are you watching? How did it come about that you are using Australian media (it’s not on most people’s radar, I think, unless they live in the UK).
1 x

aabram
Orange Belt
Languages: Active: Estonian (N), English, Russian, Finnish
Passive: French, Spanish
In-between: Mandarin
Hit list: Lithuanian

Postby aabram » Thu May 24, 2018 11:25 am

Adrianslont wrote:Hi aabram, I’m Australian and I have a couple of questions: which Australian and Kiwi shows are you watching? How did it come about that you are using Australian media (it’s not on most people’s radar, I think, unless they live in the UK).

Me and my wife been watching Australian MasterChef for years now, currently following Season 10. It's truly like a marathon show, every year we're eagerly waiting for the season to start. At first we had trouble understanding Australian English, but now we just cant get enough of it, with all the expressions and all. "Like a headless chook" is our favourite, thanks to Maggie Beer. Also A Place to Call Home, Miss Fisher's and I'm sure few others I can't recall now. As for New Zealand, we occasionally find a way to watch MasterChef NZ and MKR NZ as well. Their pronunciation is adorable as well, especially when they score "sex out of tin" or "siven". Cute as hell.

Over the years Estonian and Finnish tv stations which I also used to watch have aired quite a few Australian dramas, mainly cheesy ones but there have been some better ones too like Return to Eden in 80s (that crocodile incident terrified me as a child so I stopped watching it at some point), Bergerac in 90's, House Husbands few years ago etc. But feel free to recommend any other good Aussie/Kiwi stuff for us.
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu May 24, 2018 12:22 pm

It is interesting this thread (or a slight variation) appears rather regularily here. And some of the issues are valid, but I'd say the importance of the issue is being a bit overestimated, because learners are already trying to learn what they need. It is not up to them, that some varieties are always less represented than others.

It is not true that the learning materials don't show intermediate or even beginners learners other varieties of the language. It depends on the course. Yes, if you look only at books like Teach Yourself and a few more huge brands, I believe you could be right. But the monolingual coursebooks tend to put some effort into this. The problem then is not lack of material for a particular variant in the course, it is the limited amount of stuff you can fit into the course. The problem are not the courses (really, many French ones include at least Quebec, German ones show regional differences and one course series already has a Swiss and Austrian variant, the Spanish courses are trying to show at last some of the varieties).

The problem is after that, and it is called geoblocking. Region locked tv, movies, ebooks. That is the problem. It is simply too annoying to get to that content. So, why would I focus on a variant I am unlikely to meet often (and when I do, the difficulties are likely to be minor), when even getting the resources would require lots of work and money that I can invest in a whole new language.

Yes, some variaties are always underrepresented. People are talking about various american variants of Spanish, but no resource I found focused on learning to understand andalusians, who can be much harder than anyone from another continent. French has a bit different problem. I read a very interesting newspaper article about it (and I cannot find it anymore, sorry), pointint out that even the linguists do not accept all the variants equally. A part of these people (and also a part of regular natives) still think there is French French, Quebec or Belgian French, sure. But they don't think there is any african French, just French spoken by africans with mistakes. And this has a lot of consequences.

This is even weirder in the light of Macron's speech and the overall ambition of francophonie. They point out the ocean of native speakers on the african continent. They forget to mention those people are usually at least bilingual and some of the countries are actually working on lessening the importance of the collonial language. And they forget it is almost impossible to learn the african variants without moving there.

There is nothing wrong with sticking to only some variants. Yes, it is great some people are curious and want to learn more of them. But I can't see any reason to focus particularly on a skill that many natives don't have (confirmed by the natimes). Understanding and speaking every variant of the language. I'll learn the variant I need, I like to expose myself to others that I might need, and then I go on to other skills.

Don't get me wrong, it is awesome many people are devoted to their language so much they want to know everything about it and they don't want to exclude even the less prestigious dialects.

But there is an unpleasant consequence to the discussion about the dialects and this interest. Have you noticed how much time people spend just worrying about learning the right Spanish, instead of just starting and then learning differences on the way? Or I've heard it being used as an argument to not learning parts of the grammar correctly, because the natives don't speak like that, especially the natives in other countries.

I am all for exploration of the world and the languages. But I think beginners would do better to focus on one variant. And most learners would be better understood speaking one variant well than several badly and mixed up. It is more about the exposure and the comprehension practice. Most "alternative natives" understand the most represented variant well, exactly due to its dominant position in the media.
6 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”