What do you think of the 5 biggest mistakes when learning vocabulary?

General discussion about learning languages
Uncle Roger
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (Native), English (as good as you see me write it here?), Norwegian (C1?), French (B2), Swedish (B1?)

Re: What do you think of the 5 biggest mistakes when learning vocabulary?

Postby Uncle Roger » Sat May 12, 2018 4:10 pm

cpnlsn88, very good points. My comments would be

Your #1 - I really, really agree. When my Norwegian was about B1, it took me just 3-4 days of specific work to become a very competent Norwegian speaking indoors climbing instructor.

#2 - Situations might dictate results to have higher priority than enjoyment. Also, results themselves can be something that brings you enjoyment.

#3 - SRS should be coupled without a topic restriction or by frequency of use. It's a method, it's not content. Like in many cases, rubbish in, rubbish out.
2 x
«If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.»
Frank Zappa

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sun May 13, 2018 12:33 pm

garyb wrote:I'm not into the Youtube polyglot thing but I do have a huge respect for Luca, who I believe is a more accomplished language learner than practically anybody on here and has always given solid and well-thought-through advice.

reineke wrote:Luca's opinion is sound but it shouldn't be taken as dogma. The fire and pitchfork crowd should chill.

I think there's a bit more nuance to it than that, though.

First up, the fact that his advice is often good means that it is sometimes (like in this instance) not good. It's all well and good for us to sit here discussing his advice, but we can only do that because we don't really need his advice anyway. For a beginner, there is no way to evaluate which advice is good and which isn't.

For us here, we can afford to be wrong or overly dogmatic in our advice, because there will always be someone to call us on it, but YouTube isn't really part of a conversation, and Luca's videos stand alone without context, comment or commentary, with the exception of the comments section, but for most videos by anyone on YouTube they're typically full of comments of the form "great video" or "are you gonna do a video on X?" etc, and when thoughtful critical post are added, they're quickly drowned out.
1 x

Uncle Roger
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (Native), English (as good as you see me write it here?), Norwegian (C1?), French (B2), Swedish (B1?)

Postby Uncle Roger » Sun May 13, 2018 4:18 pm

The problem I have with videos of that type is not even the content, it's the delivery.

Slightly click-baitesque titles, no "table of contents", taking ages to get to the point.

I like videos or presentations when
1) they tell you what they are going to tell you
2) then they say it
3) and then they remind you again of what they have just told you.
3 x
«If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.»
Frank Zappa

Return to “General Language Discussion”