Only 36 hours of TV - learn a language from it.

General discussion about learning languages
Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Re: Only 36 hours of TV - learn a language from it.

Postby Tristano » Mon May 07, 2018 3:04 pm

drp9341 wrote:
Sometimes they said things that I understand 100% but that could just be because Neapolitan and Italian are related languages.
However, I have heard Italian spoken by Neapolitan people and it's just Italian with an accent. I grew up in NYC and one of my friends grandmothers, (from Naples,) didn't speak any English, and her Italian was very bad as well. I would talk to her A LOT. She loved that a young person could speak Italian. I understood her fine after the first few minutes. Her accent was just strong, but it's the same language.

When I was in university I went back to NYC in the summers. One summer I was working in a warehouse and the owner was an old SUPER Neapolitan guy. His English was hilarious, but he loved me because, (once again,) "The Young generation doesn't speak Italian! They answer in English! You speak Italian the right way!" He would invite me into his office for espresso with him and we would talk about stupid stuff like coffee or other things old Italians like to talk about. I had no problem understanding him, even though he would randomly say, in Italian, "I don't know how to say this the right way, (something in Neapolitan.)"

I didn't have ANY contact with Sicilian growing up. I just heard it from some old ladies who like to water their front gardens in the spring. But I couldn't understand any of it anyway.

Right now I need to focus on Polish, but I hope to one day have time to learn Neapolitan!

Please, if you understand what the woman in the video said, write the translation. I still didn't find anyone that could tell me what she says (except for the fact that they live in 7, 8, 9 in her house, lol)

0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Mon May 07, 2018 5:58 pm

https://napoli.zon.it/la-signora-38128-2/

Youtube (first page)
"È succiess ca m'aggia appicciat, a casa se è distrutta e o sinnaco Adda venì a mettere a casa a posto. Nu bello mensile ca tenevo nun o tengo stipato più Quante persone vivono? Io, mia figlia, simm sette, otto e nuje cu tutt e bambini, stanno a scuola. mo i bambini. Tengo sulo a chillo ca freva nguoll ncapa. C'amma fa, ca o sinnaco Adda venì Cà immediatamente, pecché nun Adda fa a chi figlio e chi figliastro. E figlie miei nun fatica nisciun!"

"E' successo che sono andata in fiamme , la casa si è distrutta è il Sindaco mi deve mettere la casa a posto , Una bella somma di soldi che avevo conservati non la ho più ...
Quante persone vivono?
Io,mia figlia , siamo 7-8 di noi con tutti i bambini , ora stanno a scuola i bambini , ho solo a quello con la febbre addosso , in testa . Il sindaco deve venire qui Immediatamente! Perchè non deve fare chi figli e chi figliati (preferenze) , nessuno dei miei figli lavora!!!!"

A Lenga Turrese
http://www.academia.edu/10115982/Letter ... napoletana

Homo homini lupus.
0 x

drp9341
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: English (US)
C1/C2: Spanish, Italian
B2+: Portuguese
B2: French, Polish
A1: Russian, German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=5978

Postby drp9341 » Thu May 10, 2018 2:46 pm

Tristano wrote:

Please, if you understand what the woman in the video said, write the translation. I still didn't find anyone that could tell me what she says (except for the fact that they live in 7, 8, 9 in her house, lol)

Holy crap. I've never heard a dialect that sounded like that.

one of the comments: Fino ad oggi pensavo che il dialetto torrese fosse una leggenda (me ne parlavano tutti, ma non pensavo che si potesse parlare in quel modo).
Ecco la controprova! Credo che ci vogliano i sottotitoli"

in English: I thought until today that the Torresse dialect was a legend, (everyone spoke to me about it, but I didn't think you could actually speak that way.)
Here is proof that you actually can speak that way! I think this calls for subtitles.)
(I didn't quite translate all of it word for word, I tried to retain the Italian humour instead of the literal wording of the quote lol

I really can't believe how she sounds. I would have NO idea where in the south this women was from if you didn't imply it was neapolitan. Do you have an exact location of where this happened? I tried google searching for the city and other information under the video on youtube but couldn't find anything.

To think... France used to be the same way! It will be sad when all of Italy, maybe in 2 or 3 more generations, all speak Italian with little hint of a regional accent.

I know that every region has a regional accent, however I see this happening with the New York accent. Where I grew up, 80% of the parents of the kids I knew had very heavy New York accents, (most of the kids I went to school and grew up with's parents were NYC cops & firemen. A decent amount had at least one parent, if not both with an Irish accent, and a few had non-native accents.

The kids I grew up with have 1/4 of the NYC accent they had. Some of us have it stronger, and some of us have absolutely NO accent, (usually those with parents not from NYC or North Jersey,). My generation's grandchildren will probably all speak like newscasters lol.

The same thing will eventually happen with Italy. It's a real shame.
1 x

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Thu May 10, 2018 5:30 pm

Lol

She is from Torre Annunziata, a bit more than 20 km from Naples: https://www.google.nl/maps/dir/Napoli,+ ... 2385ba!3e0
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”