L-R Roundup

General discussion about learning languages
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

L-R Roundup

Postby rdearman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:56 am

Came across this post on HTLAL awhile back. It is a summary of the LR posts on HTLAL

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21098&PN=1

If you're doing L2R1, how do you keep yourself from reading ahead of the narrator?
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Re: L-R Roundup

Postby Axon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:40 pm

rdearman wrote:Came across this post on HTLAL awhile back. It is a summary of the LR posts on HTLAL

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... 21098&PN=1

If you're doing L2R1, how do you keep yourself from reading ahead of the narrator?

Very limited experience here, but when I've done LR I've always read ahead of the narrator by about a sentence or two to prime myself for what I'm going to read next. Then I use the extra time to think more carefully about what I'm hearing and especially what the words I'm hearing are.
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Extensive LRing - variations on the tried and true?

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =17&t=2957
0 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:30 am

rdearman wrote:

By speeding up the playback at 1.2 or 1.3 . After that the voice is to creeky, and if I'm still reading faster than that I'd rather just listen to the audiobook then.
1 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:29 am

rdearman wrote:If you're doing L2R1, how do you keep yourself from reading ahead of the narrator?

It's my main problem. Speeding up the audio isn't a solution for me (whatever language I'm reading at the same time). I read in chunks but faster audio doesn't enable me to listen in chunks. It's still one. word. at. a. time. (albeit faster).

I just force myself to read slower (or multiple times along the audio).
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:14 am

I tried speeding up the audio, but makes them sound like alvin and the chipmunks.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:01 am

I don't see why reading ahead is a problem. That's a blessing. You're supposed to read faster to keep up with the sound (read and then listen to what you've read). I usually "read ahead" the whole book before I start doing L-R proper.

I can guess that the problem is not paying enough attention to the sound. Kind of like when reading the subtitles while watching a movie. Instead of trying to comprehend the actual speech your lazy brain resorts to a much easier reading activity. In that case one may stop reading and just try to "fly blind" for a short period of time. And you're not supposed to properly read anyway - you're supposed to listen and pay attention to the spoken language, and just help yourself along by skimming through the written text with your wandering eye.

When I start L-Ring a new language the speed of audio is already too fast for me as it is. I can't read and parse the audio at the same time (the audio is too difficult and I quickly get frustrated), so I just read a sentence, then listen to it, then pause, read another, listen again, etc. That way I can properly concentrate on the audio without distracting myself with the text. When it gets easier I pause less often, go for larger chunks of text, listening and quickly reading at the same time. When I get better at understanding I can sometimes even listen to the audio without the text (I may not actually have the text - translator may have decided to skip a few not-too-important passages). Over time I wean myself off the text and just not bother to read anymore (at least "read properly", the text can still be useful even at this stage).
Last edited by Dragon27 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Kamlari
Orange Belt

Postby Kamlari » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:20 pm

Dragon27's remarks are spot on.

Two points to keep in mind.
1. LR is LISTENING-reading.
2. It's extremely ACTIVE.

More here:
Posts by aYa:
! L-R the most important passages.htm
http://users.bestweb.net/~siom/martian_ ... ssages.htm
Written by LG Maluszka Volte:
http://users.bestweb.net/~siom/martian_ ... ppers.html
1 x
Frei lebt, wer sterben kann.

J'aime les nuages... les nuages qui passent...
雲は天才である

1. There’s only one rule to rule them all:
There are no Rule(r)s.
2. LISTEN L2, read L1. (Long texts)
3. Pronunciation.
4. Delayed recitation.

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:15 pm

Everything runs in cycles on the forum. LR is back. Shortcuts are always attractive. We seem to always be in search of the elusive "magic pill" to learn a language. Who wants to spend 2-5 years to learn a language if it can be avoided while gaining the same results? Perhaps I'm overlooking something, but in my years on the forum, I don't think I've seen anyone doing this from scratch to learn a language succeed in learning it to a high level. Does anyone know of people who've done this successfully for an unrelated language? I can see this working very well for related languages to ones already known, like Catalan after Spanish, German after Dutch (or vice-versa) and Ukrainian after Russian, but has anyone done this from scratch to learn an unrelated language like, say Polish, as a monolingual or even a multilingual with no related languages? If so, how effective was it? How much quicker was it than other, more traditional, methods for learning?
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:21 pm

iguanamon wrote:Everything runs in cycles on the forum. LR is back. Shortcuts are always attractive. We seem to always be in search of the elusive "magic pill" to learn a language. Who wants to spend 2-5 years to learn a language if it can be avoided while gaining the same results? Perhaps I'm overlooking something, but in my years on the forum, I don't think I've seen anyone doing this from scratch to learn a language succeed in learning it to a high level. Does anyone know of people who've done this successfully for an unrelated language? I can see this working very well for related languages to ones already known, like Catalan after Spanish, German after Dutch (or vice-versa) and Ukrainian after Russian, but has anyone done this from scratch to learn an unrelated language like, say Polish, as a monolingual or even a multilingual with no related languages? If so, how effective was it? How much quicker was it than other, more traditional, methods for learning?

Personally I'm not interested in solely learning a language using LR, but rather to enhance my listening comprehension along the lines of what Yuurei has achieved with Italian. https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1721&start=260#p99415
3 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “General Language Discussion”