Glossika - Yes? No? Maybe?

General discussion about learning languages
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Glossika - Yes? No? Maybe?

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:10 am

I've just noticed as well that Glossika is available from more than one base language.

You can choose to learn the languages from an English, French, German, (mexican) Spanish, or (i'm assuming- not familiar with the characters) Mandarin base.

So if you don't like English being your 'instructor language' then you can choose either your native language (if one of those mentioned is your native language) or learn your chosen language from another language base... pretty cool.
1 x

Henkkles
Green Belt
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B FR LN

Postby Henkkles » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:42 am

I love Glossika and I swear by it. 10-50 sentences each day is enough to make lots of progress over time. The thing about it is that you have to find your own way about it.

annie25 wrote:Does anyone here have experience of the Swedish Glossika?

Fluency 1 is spoken by a woman who sounds really odd, as in her <de> is /di/ and not /dom/ among other things that she does, which sound really unnatural. Fluency 2 and 3 are spoken by a man whose cadence is normal and pleasant to listen to.
2 x

aabram
Orange Belt
Languages: Active: Estonian (N), English, Russian, Finnish
Passive: French, Spanish
In-between: Mandarin
Hit list: Lithuanian

Postby aabram » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:06 am

Henkkles wrote:I love Glossika and I swear by it. 10-50 sentences each day is enough to make lots of progress over time. The thing about it is that you have to find your own way about it.

Which language you're using? And have you had any chance to put it into actual use?
0 x

Pekoral
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (C2), German (B1), French (A2), Standard Chinese (A2), Japanese (A2), Latin, Akkadian, Sumerian

Postby Pekoral » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:31 am

Henkkles wrote:Fluency 1 is spoken by a woman who sounds really odd, as in her <de> is /di/ and not /dom/ among other things that she does, which sound really unnatural. Fluency 2 and 3 are spoken by a man whose cadence is normal and pleasant to listen to.

That is indeed a dialectal variation, however it is not how standard Swedish is pronounced. It might be for some odd educational reason (to learn people differ between de and dem) it is done, however, people who have Swedish as a second language tend to have no problem with de/dem, it's rather something natives have a problem with. If the speaker has di in her dialect, I'm afraid that she also has other things that differ quite a lot from how standard Swedish is usually perceived. We have a lot of tricky vowels, contractions and sandhi rules that are not present in all dialects, so, if she really does have an unusual one it's a very bad choice by Glossier :/...
1 x
pekoral, litterärt verk kännetecknat av den icke avsedda komiska effekt som uppstår ur kontrasten mellan författarens aningslösa banalitet och hans misslyckade ansträngningar att imitera en högstämd eller högtidlig stil.

Henkkles
Green Belt

Postby Henkkles » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:34 am

aabram wrote:
Henkkles wrote:I love Glossika and I swear by it. 10-50 sentences each day is enough to make lots of progress over time. The thing about it is that you have to find your own way about it.

Which language you're using? And have you had any chance to put it into actual use?

Ah, that is one of the biggest misconceptions regarding Glossika. See, at least for me Glossika is just a syntax trainer, it teaches my brain what syntactically correct sentences look like and allows me to construct my own sentences based on ready-made scaffoldings.

Consider this sentence: "My brother and I are good tennis players."

The goal of teaching this sentence is not to teach you to say the sentence itself whenever appropriate, but to act as a vessel for the construction 'my (x) and I are + predicative" which is quite the useful construct. Now if you know words like wife, significant other, boyfriend, all you need to do is recall this construction and employ it, which is a lot faster and results in more fluent speech than if you tried to construe everything from the ground up. Let's say you learn this sentence and that you know words like girlfriend, very, happy, together. This will drastically decrease the time it takes you to construe the sentence "My girlfriend and I are very happy together".

Yes, I have employed lots of constructions I've learned with Glossika but never really the actual sentences that go with them, as they are irrelevant.

//I've used Russian, Swedish, Spanish and Estonian.

Pekoral wrote:That is indeed a dialectal variation, however it is not how standard Swedish is pronounced. It might be for some odd educational reason (to learn people differ between de and dem) it is done, however, people who have Swedish as a second language tend to have no problem with de/dem, it's rather something natives have a problem with. If the speaker has di in her dialect, I'm afraid that she also has other things that differ quite a lot from how standard Swedish is usually perceived. We have a lot of tricky vowels, contractions and sandhi rules that are not present in all dialects, so, if she really does have an unusual one it's a very bad choice by Glossier :/...

Yeah I know but on Glossika's site it says that the dialect should be "Stockholm/standard" (if I remember correctly). This is not the case, and the Fluency 1 speaker does some really weird mistakes such as:

It flies -> Den / det flyger

where she actually pronounces "den det flyger" as if it were a grammatical sentence.

Luckily my Swedish is at a level where I don't have to use the Fluency 1 all that much but the contrast with 1 to 2+3 is quite stark.
7 x

Pekoral
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (C2), German (B1), French (A2), Standard Chinese (A2), Japanese (A2), Latin, Akkadian, Sumerian

Postby Pekoral » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:02 am

Henkkles wrote:
Pekoral wrote:That is indeed a dialectal variation, however it is not how standard Swedish is pronounced. It might be for some odd educational reason (to learn people differ between de and dem) it is done, however, people who have Swedish as a second language tend to have no problem with de/dem, it's rather something natives have a problem with. If the speaker has di in her dialect, I'm afraid that she also has other things that differ quite a lot from how standard Swedish is usually perceived. We have a lot of tricky vowels, contractions and sandhi rules that are not present in all dialects, so, if she really does have an unusual one it's a very bad choice by Glossier :/...

Yeah I know but on Glossika's site it says that the dialect should be "Stockholm/standard" (if I remember correctly). This is not the case, and the Fluency 1 speaker does some really weird mistakes such as:

It flies -> Den / det flyger

where she actually pronounces "den det flyger" as if it were a grammatical sentence.

Luckily my Swedish is at a level where I don't have to use the Fluency 1 all that much but the contrast with 1 to 2+3 is quite stark.

Is there a preview of the Swedish Fluency 1 one could listen to? I'm very, very curious to how this sounds!
0 x
pekoral, litterärt verk kännetecknat av den icke avsedda komiska effekt som uppstår ur kontrasten mellan författarens aningslösa banalitet och hans misslyckade ansträngningar att imitera en högstämd eller högtidlig stil.

Henkkles
Green Belt

Postby Henkkles » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:06 am

Pekoral wrote:Is there a preview of the Swedish Fluency 1 one could listen to? I'm very, very curious to how this sounds!

You can e-mail them for a preview, I'm afraid sharing a file would be against the protocol on this forum.
0 x

s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Postby s_allard » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:10 pm

I know I'm a a bit late to the discussion but I was wondering how grammatical gender is handled in the various editions of Glossika. In the sample I saw of the advanced Castillian Spanish GMC Fluency 3, the speaker is female and all the related gender-sensitive items are female. As a male learner, how am I supposed to use this material? I don't think I should repeat the relevant phrases as they are said.
0 x

Henkkles
Green Belt

Postby Henkkles » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:11 am

s_allard wrote:I know I'm a a bit late to the discussion but I was wondering how grammatical gender is handled in the various editions of Glossika. In the sample I saw of the advanced Castillian Spanish GMC Fluency 3, the speaker is female and all the related gender-sensitive items are female. As a male learner, how am I supposed to use this material? I don't think I should repeat the relevant phrases as they are said.

What I do is I repeat the sentences with the masculine past tense form. This of course complicates studying Russian much more than Spanish, because in Russian even the stress switches place (góloden vs. golodná). It's not as bad as it could be though.
0 x

SallImSayin

Postby SallImSayin » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:28 am

I haven't yet figured out how I feel about Glossika. I've been using it on and off recently, overall the number of words I recognize have increased but so much the ones I actually actively use. It's mostly my fault and how I'm using it.
0 x
Ask me for my WhatsApp, Kik, or messgenger info, I'd be happy to chat.

Return to “General Language Discussion”