Women in Language Online Event

General discussion about learning languages
MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Women in Language Online Event

Postby MamaPata » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:31 pm

Is anyone thinking of paying for this? Some of the talks look interesting so I'm tempted, but can't really decide.

One thing I like (based on my admittedly incredibly brief scan) is that they seem to have quite a lot aimed at people already at a midway point in language learning. I'm getting more and more annoyed about sites that are entirely devoted to beginners. Obviously that's an important thing to talk about, but there is just so much more information out there.

What do other people think? (Avoiding politics!)
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Re: Women in Language Online Event

Postby Xenops » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:28 pm

MamaPata wrote:Is anyone thinking of paying for this? Some of the talks look interesting so I'm tempted, but can't really decide.

One thing I like (based on my admittedly incredibly brief scan) is that they seem to have quite a lot aimed at people already at a midway point in language learning. I'm getting more and more annoyed about sites that are entirely devoted to beginners. Obviously that's an important thing to talk about, but there is just so much more information out there.

What do other people think? (Avoiding politics!)

Indeed, it does look tempting: hearing the topic from a woman's perspective could also be interesting. I'm glad they will have the presentations recorded. I'm just not convinced at this point that I would learn something that I couldn't find elsewhere. Youtube has oodles of videos on the topic, and there is the forum here, of course.
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Return to “General Language Discussion”