I'm new here! I'm a francophone who needs to learn english :)

General discussion about learning languages
Kayla
Languages: French expert from Canada (Québec)
English learning , searching for the best study course

I'm new here! I'm a francophone who needs to learn english :)

Postby Kayla » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:13 am

Hi everyone!

I'm from Canada (Montreal, Quebec). I would like to have a perfect understanding, spelling, and talking english and a good pronunciation to be 100% bilingual. I would like also to learning all expressions and words that are not necessarily in the dictionary but are well known among anglophones to express themselves.

Your help will be very appreciated. I can also help you if you need to learning french. My french is excellent in writing and verbal.

Do you have any tips for me? Online courses or school program, cellular applications, books, games, TV shows?

Thank you!
2 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Re: I'm new here! I'm a francophone who needs to learn english :)

Postby Deinonysus » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi,

I can see from your post that you definitely know enough English to make yourself understood, so right now immersion is the best way for you learn. I'm from the Boston area and my wife and I drive to French Canada once or twice a year. I try to use as much French as I can while I'm there, and it has helped me a lot.

We went to an English language trivia night once at an anglophone bar in Montréal. I don't remember the name, but I'm sure you will be able to find some anglophone spots in Montréal where I'm sure native speakers would be happy to talk to you in English. There are also plenty of anglophone TV stations you can get in Montréal, and since you're in Canada you should be able to get your hands on any games, books, or movies you want in English, whatever you enjoy.

Also, if you don't mind doing touristy things in your own city, you can do tours and see shows in English (like at the Biodome and planetarium). A lot of the street performers will speak in simple English that's aimed at tourists from all over the world. Actually, I can't believe I haven't thought of this before, but I think I'm going to start looking for touristy stuff to do in French around my area.

If you go to a completely anglophone city, you'll have even better results, because there won't be a lot of people who even speak any French. You're not too far from Ottawa. Burlington, VT is also nearby and you can visit Ben and Jerry's and Cabot dairy there. Boston has a lot of fun things to do, and Portland, ME is also a really fun city.
3 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

unrelatedwaffle
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (High advanced; 22 years of study), Japanese (studying for N1 JLPT), Spanish (beginner)

Postby unrelatedwaffle » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:18 pm

It's not clear from your message whether you still live in Montreal, but Couchsurfing Montreal has some really fun events and very friendly people. I also highly recommend Mundo Lingo, which is a weekly language-speaking event at a bar. I used to go to ML every week when I lived in Montreal and it was fantastic.

If you're not still in Montreal, finding a conversation group in your city is your best bet. Also learning about phonetics and practicing in a mirror will help with pronunciation.
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:28 pm

Hello, Kayla, welcome to the forum! I look forward to following your participation in many other discussions.

I second the other members' comments. I suspect that your level of English is now so advanced that taking classes or following basic-to-intermediate level courses would be a waste of your time and money.

In addition to the recommendations above, you might wish to consider working with a tutor, either in person, or via iTalki or competing services.

While the Internet abounds with free videos materials for learning English (most of which are of dubious value), you might wish to try pay-for-view video services that are specifically designed for praticing languages; here are the better-known:

FluentU
https://www.fluentu.com/

Yabla
https://english.yabla.com/

Bonne chance et bon courage!

EDITED:
Typos.
Paragraphing.
1 x

Seneca
Green Belt
Languages: English (N); 日本語 (beginner)

Postby Seneca » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:58 pm

Kayla wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm from Canada (Montreal, Quebec). I would like to have a perfect understanding, spelling, and talking english and a good pronunciation to be 100% bilingual. I would like also to learning all expressions and words that are not necessarily in the dictionary but are well known among anglophones to express themselves.

Your help will be very appreciated. I can also help you if you need to learning french. My french is excellent in writing and verbal.

Do you have any tips for me? Online courses or school program, cellular applications, books, games, TV shows?

Thank you!

Hey Kayla,
How would you rate your pronunciation? Do you have any native English speaking friends who could give you a fair assessment? Knowing if you have to make just a few tweaks in your pronunciation for particularly challenging sounds, or whether you may need a lot of pronunciation work to achieve your goals, would help to give more specific tips and advice!
0 x

happer
Languages: Ukraine(n), french(b1), english(b2), germany(a2), hebrew (beginner)

Postby happer » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:08 am

hi! im Ukrainian) how are u?what about sport?u do or no? :D :D :) 8-)
0 x

Oscard587
Yellow Belt
Languages: Korean (Native)
English (A2)
Russian (Beginner)

-Turkish, Polish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5866

Postby Oscard587 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:07 pm

Kayla wrote:Hi everyone!

Thank you!

As a same English learner, your English already seems great. It's somewhat awkward to get advice from me about learning English, so I'd like to let you know some English stuff for extensive learning, rather than advice.
Learning all expression seems ambiguous goal to achieve, or is it possible? I'd gather expressions from various activities while having fun.

Kayla wrote:I would like to have a perfect understanding

1) Listening

My listening resources for English heavily rely on Podcasts from Britain. So many people produce a lot of podcasts with quality from there.

For example : https://www.britishpodcastawards.com/listenerchoice17/

also, you can check many other podcasts on Itunes or Apple device, if you use them. To be honest, when I discovered them I thought I don't need more material for English! They cover every aspect, themes, and interest so I'm pretty sure you will find something for you. I love BBC Radio, especially :D

https://teacherluke.co.uk/
He keeps talking alone around one hour or more. but that's okay. Because, Usually, Speakers of podcast for English learners tend to speak too slowly or they care too much to be sound perfect to listeners. Well, He is not. and that's why I like him.

Also,
British Council provides some materials for elementary level.
BBC Learning English covers from upper beginner to advanced level.

2) Reading, Books, Hmph.

3) Writing. I'm not good at it as you can see in here.

Kayla wrote:talking english and a good pronunciation

4) Speaking.

For pronunciation, there are some books you can consider to use.
Pronunciation in Use series from Cambridge press. Tree or Three, Ship or Sheep would be helpful.
For American accent, There was a book called as AAT... American Accent Training? Well, there are more options for that.

5) Grammar and correct usage
Practical Usage of English by Swan, Oxford press is good.
Grammar in Use is maybe too easy for you. There are more options in use series.
If you have a specific problem then you might consider to use them.
For expressions, maybe you want to check about collocations, phrasal verbs, Idioms.
However, I have only dictionaries for those.

6) In real life, for real experience, You are really close to English speaking environment. Find and meet English speakers and keep talking with them, maybe it's the best answer.

I don't think I'm better than you in English, but I wanted to give you some information about resources as an English learner.
Good luck!
2 x
Just because I accept the inevitability of my fate, does not mean I am in any hurry to embrace it!

Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.

Return to “General Language Discussion”